Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Beginner's BOB Gear Requirements
9 February 2014, 12:56,
Beginner's BOB Gear Requirements
I think this will be one of the first gear lists I've recommended for those new to prepping.

Okay, this will be easy enough, and most of you will probably already have much of this gear already. Others will already have this gear packed and ready to be used. But for those new to camping and BOB trials, this post will be a good starting point.

Opinions on gear will vary, but take this list as a basic foundation. Not just for camping, but also for building a BOB (Bug Out Bag).

First off, we'll look at the basis for our gear selection...the Rule of Three.
Please note, the Rule of Three should be based around Bugging Out, but for the 3 Minute rule, camping doesn't have the same requirements.

The Rule of Three.

Three Minutes without air (for a BOB it's really required, camping...you'll get locked up as a nutter on most camp sites haha).

You can't survive Three Minutes without air. Please don't take this at literal, it is just a guideline concept, and no I don't mean while you're stuck underwater. We'll put this as more of a survival situation. So, the first thing to think about, you cannot survive for long with contaminated air around you, or if you're trapped in an avalanche, or if you're building an air tight hut. You need air. With regards to gear, you'd probably be looking more towards the contaminated air situation, for this instance. The others you can sort out with common sense and training. But for contaminated air, you'll be wanting a gas-mask.

Secondly, you can't survive Three Hours without shelter.
Shelter comes in MANY different forms. Clothing, tent, tarp, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, etc. But this will be the first thing to deal with for camping. The most important thing is to stay warm. Even in the summer, that's vital to get you through. Oddly, most people look towards getting a great tent. Which is cool. But not the most important thing. The most important thing, in my experience, is a good quality sleeping system. The system is a combination of sleeping bag and sleeping mat, plus maybe an inner liner or bivvy.

I have said many times to my Scouts and to those around, a low quality sleeping bag in a good quality tent can kill you. While a good quality sleeping bag in a low quality tent will still keep you alive. Keep this in mind when you buy your sleeping gear.

You can't survive Three Days without water.
Again, this is a guideline, don't take it as being exactly three days.
This means that once you have your Three Hour situation sorted (shelter) the next thing you need to consider is water. Now, there is an overlap with water and food, but for now, we'll just consider water. You'll want a water carry system. Think water bottle or canteen. Then you need to filter it and purify it. This is where water purification tablets come into play, as does water filters, e.g. Katerdyn or Survival Straw's. It's easy enough to work this bit out.

OVERLAP.
Lastly, with water, the ability to boil water is important. This is where the overlap with food comes in...so let's jump over to that part.

You can't survive Three Weeks without Food.
Check it out, we're now looking at cooking pots and pans, gas cookers, and the alike. This can also be used to boil water. See the overlap?
This is where knowledge and resources come into play. Carrying a little extra can go a long way.

So, we're all done right?

NOPE! But this is a good starting list.

I can already hear you all screaming "Scythe13, you're a knife guy. What the hell? You've not mentioned any knives or anything like that yet?" You're right. I've not. Neither have I mentioned toilet paper or tooth paste or first aid. Why not? Because at the moment, if you're new to prepping, you have enough to worry about with all the extra stuff going on and the hassle from friends and family and the odd looks in the office, and the far-away-glossed-look in your eyes....haha. I'm kidding.

We're just looking at how to start off your gear for your BOB and for survival camping. Looking at skills would be where knives and first aid kits come into play. Are they as important as high quality gear? Damn right they are! Are they as simple to use as a sleeping bag and tent? Urm...NO! Try whittling a spoon, and then try getting into a sleeping bag. Slight difference in skill level right? What about weaving a basket or carving a fire board?

With skills comes an advancement in items to carry.

If you're new to prepping and looking at building a BOB, keep it simple to start with.

p.s. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE carry toilet paper in your bag!!! You can't survive Three Social Situations without toilet paper haha.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
9 February 2014, 14:23,
RE: Beginner's BOB Gear Requirements
Great post S13 newbies.....and oldies
9 February 2014, 18:25,
In the US the most common scenario is the lost hunter or hiker, who gets disoriented and must spend an unplanned night in the bush, having only what kit is carried routinely in their pockets.

Shelter in this instance, means having suitable clothing for tbe expected weather. Having a hat, gloves, an extra warming layer which can be donned, rain protection and a reliable means for starting a warming fire are critical.

Having the means to signal a search party can mean the difference between life and death. Everyone should carry, at minimum a whistile, small LED torch and a signal mirror. On the water, a marine VHF transceiver is vital.

A water bottle, water filter, a short length of tubing for drawing rainwater from crevices and purification tablets are needed, as all sources of surface water should be considered suspect.

Most healthy adults can function well for several days without food if well hydrated, but a small supply of high calorie, nutrition dense food is good for morale, as well as to provide energy needed for emergency warmth or exertion.

A simple, but sturdy pocket knife or multi tool should be carried routinely outdoors, as well as a compass and map of your area of operations.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
9 February 2014, 20:01, (This post was last modified: 9 February 2014, 20:02 by Mortblanc.)
"Shelter" also calls into play the realization that in an emergency all available shelter should be utilized.

Identifying the best spot to use for shelter, or the best spot to place ones shelter.

What shelter one has, right down to the clothing one is wearing, can be accentuated by proper use of the landscape, features and structures.

We should also consider the fact that adding fire to that situation might either keep you alive or get you killed, depending on the circumstance.

The maintenance of the simple basics that have already been stated are essential and should be part of each human's EDC. They do not have to be extreme or attention getting, they just have to be there when needed.

[Image: Picture271_zpsb5efedd4.jpg]
10 February 2014, 10:25,
Good post s13.

Thinking about what you put IMO doesn't matter how new you are to prepping I still think a knife should always be in the pack. It's a tool that enables you to do so many things.
To me there should always be 4 things as a minimum. A knife, a bashaa (or a sheet of heavy duty plastic at least 8 by 5), means to light a fire and lastly a good length of paracord or other string.

Even on a hair string budget all these things can be bought for under a fiver from a carboot sale.
10 February 2014, 19:22,
(10 February 2014, 10:25)Megatron Wrote: Good post s13.

Thinking about what you put IMO doesn't matter how new you are to prepping I still think a knife should always be in the pack. It's a tool that enables you to do so many things.
To me there should always be 4 things as a minimum. A knife, a bashaa (or a sheet of heavy duty plastic at least 8 by 5), means to light a fire and lastly a good length of paracord or other string.

Even on a hair string budget all these things can be bought for under a fiver from a carboot sale.

I'd really agree with that mate, but not for a TOTAL novice. Imagine a total woodland novice, just going out camping now.

I've seen people need first aid trying to whittle a spoon. As for Basha's and paracord, I'd agree too, but not all Basha layouts are obvious, and many people cannot do the correct knots for shelter building. So they would be caught out without a decent shelter option, tying knots that are not suitable for their needs, that might slip when wet, and thus cause any shelter they've made to smash down on them. Uncool.

As for fire...yes, I'd probably agree with that. But I do get to that with the cooking stuff.

For basics, I'd stick to a sound camping set up, then add extra stuff once a solid foundation is established.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin