Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I hadn't planned for this.....
12 February 2014, 15:12,
RE: I hadn't planned for this.....
Wouldn't you be better off keeping the key with you rather than in the boot NR? If they break the boot open to steal the contents they've got access to the key and the wheel brace.
73 de
OSR

The duty of a true patriot is to protect his country from its government ~ Thomas Paine
12 February 2014, 15:16,
Its called a key but its actually like an insert that fits the wheelbrace and its mirror image is the locking wheel nut fitted, its hidden in the wheel well fastened out of sight with a magnet under part of the wheel arch. I'm noted for losing keys Smile

12 February 2014, 15:34,
LS sorry to hear about your wheels, take a look on flea bay for a spare set of tyres and wheels for you vehicle. Ive picked up a couple of good set for my disco just in case.
Failure is NOT an option
12 February 2014, 15:44, (This post was last modified: 12 February 2014, 15:45 by Devonian.)
(12 February 2014, 15:07)NorthernRaider Wrote: My motor came with them fitted, dunno where they came from sorry, but the locking key nut thingy I keep with the wheel brace in the boot. its an odd looking thing with 8 or 10 erm...... nodules and the nodules are cut to match only the special nut on each wheel.

Yes that sounds like the same sort of locking nuts I have on my Landy and I keep the key/adaptor well hidden inside the vehicle.

Were they fitted at the time?

Ignore that NR - it wasn't your wheels that were stolen LOL!!
12 February 2014, 15:59,
Thanks guys.

The car was on a private drive. No wheel locks as I have never found anything that works well on steel wheels.

Funnily enough the LR parked next to the car has brand new AT tires fitted. There was no attempt made to get those off. They are alloys and secured with LR supplied lock nuts. The "key" for those babies is huge.... carrying it around in a pocket would get me some odd looks and undoubtedly a level of unwanted attention as well. Its cool to be well hung but that thing would get the KKK out after me! :-)

Serious question: CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND ANY GOOD AFTER MARKET LOCKING WHEEL NUTS FOR STEEL WHEELS? Either I find a way to secure the wheels, downgrade the tyres to make them less of a target, or switch to alloys and factory option wheel locks ( which I don't want to do)
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

12 February 2014, 19:01,
Lightspeed, jacking up a vehicle in your driveway, removing the wheels, and letting the vehicle back down on bricks is not what I would generally think of as a "stealth" operation! Anyone skulks into our yard at any hour will trip our alarm system, a 65 pound blue-tick coon hound with a sense of hearing somewhat more acute than the sensing capabilities of the "chain-home" radar stations of WWII fame and who's bite definitely matches her ear-splitting bark.

As an alternative, though it depends on the power grid being up, how about a couple of floodlights and a "motion-sensor" fixture mounted to the corner of your house?

Finally, on your next set of wheels, see if you can borrow or rent an engraving tool, and mark the backs of each wheel with your telephone number. This will make them much harder for the thieves to sell.
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
12 February 2014, 19:54,
My Defender has steel wheel and I have these which are standard issue for Defenders and each set is different, so the adaptor can't be used on other vehicles, but like you say, bit of a lump to keep in your pocket, so just keep it well hidden in the vehicle:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-DEF...3f2c45b757
12 February 2014, 20:37, (This post was last modified: 12 February 2014, 20:45 by uks.)
Hi LS

I have 7 sided nuts on my rover but the place I got them from seems to have shut. The problem is with the cheap sets of locking nut removers sold on ebay if someone really wants your wheels they will get them.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LASER-TOOLS-32...27de75e71a

The best locking wheel nuts are the ones that have a collar on the outside that spins around making it almost impossible to get a grip of.

You could try these
http://www.paddockspares.com/pm226-locki...-of-4.html
Failure is NOT an option
12 February 2014, 21:49,
The real issue is not some scrote stealing the wheels and what can we do to stop that but that the BOV is a single point of failure in the plan. There are many things that could render it useless even without the help of some pond life.

We could put it under cover, we could alarm it up but we must always have backup plans in case it simply does not work or becomes immobilised for other reasons. Nothing can be guaranteed.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
15 February 2014, 18:55,
Planning and adaptability is key to any success.

In the spirit of SD's post, and signature line, once one makes a plan it does not follow that one is locked into that plan.

Hence the origin of the term "plan B". And plan C and D,E,F.

And if you run out of alphabet letters never admit that you do not have another plan! Throwing your hands in the air and running in circles like a little girl is bad for morale.