Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Assessing your homes potential for surviving TSHTF
19 February 2014, 11:11,

Most of us with homes to consider should really give some thought to its suitability for use as your preppers retreat if you like many other Brits have decided to BUG IN.

This is NOT a complete how to list, nor is it a quiz, nor does it require debate its simply an aide memoir that may highlight something you have not considered.

For example
Have you a suitable chimney for installing a wood / multi fuel stove / heating and cooking system
Is the chimney in good order or does it need a steel liner
Have you sufficient space to store lots of dry firewood / coal etc securely and out of sight by passers by.
Have you noted and logged other sources of fire wood in the area such as trees, fences around abandoned properties etc
Can you store bottled LP gas in useful quantities safely convenient but AWAY from the home it-self.
Do you have a suitable place to store a portable gas fire / gas cooker/ gas light etc
Do you have spare regulators, gas pipe and hose clips.
Have you good to excellent ventilation in the area you intend to use your LPG powered gear.
Have you suitable guttering and downpipes to install multiple water butts
Can you store / install extra cold water storage tanks in your loft or garage or outhouse.
Have you identified local springs / streams and becks for extra water sources after the mains system fails.
Have you sufficient space to grow reasonable quantities of food and cold room space to store harvested and preserved food stuffs (planters and larders)
If you choose to keep critters like chickens etc can they be raised and secured quickly so any noise they make will not blow your security
Have you some place like a conservatory to dry laundry and bedding without electricity or without hanging the laundry openly on a line in your garden
Could you “expand” your planting area on nearby verges / common land / abandoned neighbours gardens after TSHTF
Have you space for a greenhouse and compost area
Is there suitable waste land close by to do guerrilla gardening (grow food in out the way areas)
Have you identified a suitable location to empty portable toilets / latrines?
Have you got a suitable portable toilet and chemicals?
Is your roof pointing South or South West and of a suitable type to accept solar panels
Have you a cool dark temp stable spot to store your deep cycle batteries for your PV or wind generators.
Can you mount HAM/VHF/ UHF/CB/PMR etc radio antennas so they are effective but not too obvious.
Is your property boundary secure with good quality min 2 meter high fencing or established thorny hedgerow.
Do you have multi lock fitted secure doors and windows AND plywood boards and timber stored to secure them after TSHTF.
Have you fitted self-adhesive laminating film to your downstairs windows and patio doors to delay intruders gaining access.
Have you installed black out blinds / curtains and checked to see if any light pollution is getting out after dark.
Have you fitted better and extra locks to your garage doors ( in the corners).
Most modern alloy garage doors can easily be bent open from the corners, you can re-enforce those doors with strip steel or timber inserts affixed along the rolled edges of the door
Have you plotted and developed escape routes if you are forced to abandon your home
Can you secure, block or barricade the approaches to your home after TSHTF
Can your bug out vehicle be safely parked close by to your home but far enough away as to be secure from people attracted to your home who want to loot or raid it.
Have you had your electricity distribution board upgraded recently and moved to a sensibly high position.
Have you a SECURE place to SAFELY store extra petrol or diesel that is accessible but preferably away from the main house.
Have you noted and recorded important distances as ranges to dial into your home security weapons sighting systems.
Do you have an OP (observation point) where you can keep an eye on your area from a concealed location after TSHTF when the security situation is uncertain?
Have you sufficient “low profile” storage in which to build up a good cache of food and supplies
Is your home at risk from threats such as falling trees or tree limbs, flooding, fire spreading from neighbouring scrubland etc
Is your home “out the way” or on a route that refugees or renegades may migrate along?
Is it “away” from shops, garages, schools, TA centres, council depots, police stations etc or anything else that may attract undesirables?
Do you have any overgrown tree limbs, shrubs or badly positioned sheds etc that impede your view from your house of the immediate area that you could trim or relocate.
Is the property in a state of good physical condition that will not need major repairs for at least 10 years.
If the local authority did no highway and byway maintenance for over 3 years do you think your home will still be accessible by motor vehicle or will blocked drains, fallen trees, land slips, floods, collapsed bridges, eroded fords, fallen pylons, collapsed walls, over grown hedges, subsidence etc restrict access to your home within less than 3 years, or is the roads around your home likely to become impassable
Close by are there any weirs, damns, fords, bridges, mill races, reservoir overflows , sewage storage facilties , canal locks, gullies that could be blocked with debris if unmaintained after TSHTF that could pose a flood risk to your home ?
Have you got enough decent quality tools to maintain your property and grounds with?

Just a few things for you to chew over and consider or disregard at your leisure.

19 February 2014, 11:39,
RE: Assessing your homes potential for surviving TSHTF
Good List NR,

Made me pause for thought and reconsider some overlooked issues

Thanks
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

19 February 2014, 12:55,
Good list NR.

I would add;
Have you plumbed in water butts to all roof surfaces and have you plenty of them.
Have you the capability to cover your windows with at least wood but pref metal sheets to stop entry and thrown items. Needs material put aside.
Have you a way to get advance warning of someone approaching your home.
Is there a limited number of ways your home can be approached, by road or by foot. Can you reduce that number after an event?

I'm covering the OP point in two ways;
1) I have an OP point I can use to watch my house.
2) I'm installing battery powered WiFi cameras to watch over the house with add ons for after an event that I can place on others houses.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
19 February 2014, 18:33,
I have holes everywhere NR ........great list and great post , will study it when I come down . Thanks