Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the beginning of the end.
24 February 2014, 21:32,
RE: the beginning of the end.
Great post Mortblanc, as usual. I too have a baby tractor and a few drums of diesel, I spent a few hours today working with my milling machine to make an adapter to fit the rotovator from my Camon tiller to the baby tractor. I also have a baby plough that fits it, a tow bar and a small cylinder mower. I actually use the little tractor more than the full sized one.
25 February 2014, 12:37, (This post was last modified: 25 February 2014, 13:00 by bigpaul.)
horses were used right up until the 50s and 60s in the UK, before the advent of huge Agri-Businesses when they grubbed out the hedges to make huge fields for the huge tractors, I don't think we will be using such machinery post SHTF as I don't believe the fuel will be available. the soil here is no good for cereal crops, but grows a good crop of grass which is why this is a stock(animal) rearing area and why there is a stock (auction) market.

actually you'll be amazed at just what 1 acre covers, our allotment field was 2 acres and it was huge!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
25 February 2014, 13:58,
Great Sheep country BP just like North Yorkshire and Northumbria. You might be able to grow Oats though as this crop is a bit more hardy than Wheat, and Porridge is a super meal.
25 February 2014, 14:13,
What's your soil like BP ? If it's the clay that's so common in the West then Barley and Bramley Apples are a good start. Clay soil is potentially very good, farmers call it "strong" soil, it contains loads of minerals but generally needs some organic matter dug in. Once the organic material is in, the clay soil holds it for a long time. So, get that bucket out and head for the local riding school.
25 February 2014, 14:14, (This post was last modified: 25 February 2014, 14:34 by bigpaul.)
yeah TH, it IS mostly sheep around here, after the "foot and mouth" in 2001 when most of the cattle herds were destroyed most farms seem to have gone over to sheep with just a few cattle. the ground is very poor, what they call "culm measures" and also very hilly too.

Steve, its solid ball clay(and I do mean SOLID), very little soil, our garden has no top soil, we had to build raised bed and import soil and organic matter to fill them, we'll be getting some more "organic matter" to refill them in the spring, the clay dosent allow the rain to drain away, the water just sits on the top and stays there. on the plus side maybe post SHTF we can do a side line in pot making and bricks!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
25 February 2014, 19:26,
Sorry I haven't posted in a while, I've just finished my first semester and have been finishing assignments.

I honestly don't know what I would do. I've got some massive gaps in my preps. I currently have no security/defense, no comms, and no power generation. If the SHTF today, tomorrow, next month or even next year I would most likely be screwed. It's only in the distant future that I will be prepared, as I currently have no place of my own, and my parents scarcely tolerate my existing preps of stored food and water, and my shotgun application. I have a massive amount of work to do.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8