Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The dubious quick kill pt1 & 2
26 February 2014, 16:44,
RE: The dubious quick kill pt1 & 2
you aren't the only one! why do you think they call me BIG paul?Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 February 2014, 08:52,
(26 February 2014, 16:36)Midnitemo Wrote: its a bit of a hefty thing to cart around with you a pike....but I'm with you on the longish pointy thing....going to be seriously disadvantaged in this stabbing, slashing and cutting malarkey as there's an awful lot more of me to aim at than most!Sad

If you're bigger than most then generally you're going to have a longer reach? Unless you've got SAS? (Short Arm Syndrome) Wink

I think I'd go for a little club hammer. Nice hefty weight, 10 inch handle(ish) good for close up work, and you can wang it a fair old distance with ease. That and a small axe would do me just fine.
27 February 2014, 11:43,
I agree Steve, the articles predominantly focus on the injuries during Formalised duels. Although the combatants had a choice of weapons, the period these reports come from, the duelling Rapier was the weapon of choice, so we are seeing predominantly thrust injuries, as "rapiers" tend to be focused on the thrust as opposed to the cut. Although the term "rapier" encompasses a lot of variance within this sword type, some had the ability to cut as well as thrust, there is no absolute typology as to what a Rapier actually was.
Reports from earlier centuries are not so secure as "post Mortem" techniques were not as systemised as now, and cutting up the dead was forbidden by the church. The article/s do show that the wider the wound channel the more chance there is of an opponent expiring quickly, but that's pretty obvious really isn't it as a larger cut or thrust will do more damage. I agree a spear in the chest will do more damage than the same rapier, as would a strike from a blade with a wider profile and more mass.
These articles were posted as thought provoker to help people understand the realities of defence or attack with bladed weapons. If you are close enough to an enemy to use bladed weapons then you are in a very bad situation. Without training I recommend you RUN as fast as you can to get away, as a little training with a blade is a very bad thing and gives people a false sense of security, that will get you killed. If TSHTF then don't waste your time with swords etc GET A GUN. I do not recommend a sword to anyone, because to get comfortable with these weapons you have to train for years, I have done so for thirty years and practice on a daily basis, and I will be honest and say my swords are the weapon of last resort.
27 February 2014, 11:54,
if someone gets so close that you can stab them with a bladed weapon THEN SO CAN THEY !
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 February 2014, 12:23,
Purely for educational and entertainment value, here a link to a video showing some "plays" with the Longsword. The swordsmen take turns attacking and defending using a variety of counters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohmLaZHStmI