Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Escrima
27 February 2014, 22:18,
RE: Escrima
The walking stick swords things are readily available (as I'm sure you know), but again these are outlawed in the same way as any fixed blade is and I think for most of us, walking around (particularly in an urban environment) with any kind walking stick would raise the suspicions of TPTB, as it just wouldn't appear right!

Also in your home walking sticks and the like are normally too long to be effective (unless you live in Downton Abbey) as you'll simply end up bashing the walls instead of the intruder, so shorter sticks circa 30 inches long and about 1 inch diameter are better - similar to those used promoted by WE Fairbairn when training the first Commandos to take on the Germans in WWII

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/18473...UTF8&psc=1
28 February 2014, 10:20,
Thanks, guys...

Devonian: I have no 'walking stick swords things'. Now, I'm intrigued. What are they? and, aren't sword-sticks still illegal to make, sell, buy, etc., in this country?

If you mean the "City Stick", I have one of those. There's no metal down the shaft, though - I've tested the full length of it with 2 DIY metal detectors and a couple of very powerful magnets for big aerials (CB Radio mag-mounts). No metal in there at all, I'm happy to say. It's the only stick I trust after feeling two other sticks, (one being two-piece metal and one a nice scorched chestnut) collapse during use - very sudden and very not nice. The "City Stick" is a gorgeous replacement and it can't be broken in general use. I don't like the knob-top as much as the crook handle, though, because there's no way to hook it up safely while browsing library books, etc.. Also, the newer "City Sticks" have a different finish on their chromey-looking knob-tops, too...so, I'm a touch hesitant to order myself a second one. That type of change is ordinarily not a change for the better! I usually buy two of everything if I can afford it, too, so I'm sorely tempted.

Okay...30" x 1" inch? (The Escrima are only 2 inches longer.) They sound great! I'd still love to have a couple of those with metal cores, though, I admit. A friend of mine owned a shop that sold air guns, knives, longbows, crossbows, and stuff, and he had one of the original glossy dark brown police truncheons behind his counter, there. I used to offer him a huge amount of dosh for it and he always said that he wouldn't part with it.

Scythe13: The sticks sound like a dream, but I'd always feel too nervous about law-breaking with anything like them.

-------------------------------------------------

QUESTION: What has to be bought in order to go long distances down the center of a pole of wood accurately, anyway? I've no idea what could be used to do that.

Ian.
Sign on my back door: "Dear Burglar: Name anybody who will be looking for you beneath my floorboards!"
28 February 2014, 12:40,
(28 February 2014, 10:20)Ian Haines Wrote: Thanks, guys...

Devonian: I have no 'walking stick swords things'. Now, I'm intrigued. What are they? and, aren't sword-sticks still illegal to make, sell, buy, etc., in this country?

No idea of the 'correct name', but yes we are talking about the same sort of thing, like these??:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cane-With-Sword/...cane+sword

And yes they are illegal to carry (in public) and I can see no reason for needing them???

(28 February 2014, 10:20)Ian Haines Wrote: Okay...30" x 1" inch? (The Escrima are only 2 inches longer.) They sound great! I'd still love to have a couple of those with metal cores, though, I admit. A friend of mine owned a shop that sold air guns, knives, longbows, crossbows, and stuff, and he had one of the original glossy dark brown police truncheons behind his counter, there. I used to offer him a huge amount of dosh for it and he always said that he wouldn't part with it.

Cheap and cheerful versions can be made from solid wood curtain poles, which are solid and strong:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Swish-23mm-Antiq...rtain+pole

Just cut to length.....
28 February 2014, 14:05,
Devonian...

Aye...having a sword stick would be nice, but we're living in Britain so that'll never happen. Unless you're a collector, you can't even attempt to buy one - and, maybe, not even then.

Ian.
Sign on my back door: "Dear Burglar: Name anybody who will be looking for you beneath my floorboards!"
28 February 2014, 20:13,
That's fair enough Ian. As everyone knows, I'm a 100% law abiding citizen, and in now way shape or form would I break the law. I even drive like an old man, I'm that law abiding....nothing to do with being a cheapskate capitalist pig that doesn't like spending money on over inflated and taxed fuel......honest. haha
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
28 February 2014, 21:20,
i have a walking stick sword ,got it from a car boot ,its like the one that Watson has in Sherlock holmes films
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
28 February 2014, 21:44,
(28 February 2014, 21:20)Barneyboy Wrote: i have a walking stick sword ,got it from a car boot ,its like the one that Watson has in Sherlock holmes films

That's nothing. I've got a walking stick that turns into Sherlock Holmes!

So, when I get into a fight, I deploy it and it turns round and says "Elementary my dear S.13. There is 4 of them and 2 of us. You're on your own." I don't quite remember what happened after that, but the nurse told me I gained consciousness much faster than they expected. Haha
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
28 February 2014, 21:52,
no really I do have it just look on the interweb its from the Crimean ,but don't think its a real one
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
1 March 2014, 16:15,
BONK! OUCH!

(Note to self: practise more...far more!)
4 March 2014, 12:45,
(28 February 2014, 10:20)Ian Haines Wrote: .....and he had one of the original glossy dark brown police truncheons behind his counter, there. I used to offer him a huge amount of dosh for it and he always said that he wouldn't part with it.

I have one of those. Superb thing, very heavy. You crack someone round the noggin with that and you're in trouble...