Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taking a break from prepping / Mental Reboot
1 March 2014, 13:52,
Taking a break from prepping / Mental Reboot
I came across this video, and it hit spot on what I am feeling ATM:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEuj1MCia...4-overview

Does anyone else ever feel the need to just step back and completely disconnect from preparedness media, and preparedness in general?

I feel sometimes that I have reached a saturation point. For example, I can read lots of interesting articles around preparedness and the alternative media, but I absorb very little. I also end up instinctively avoiding certain documentaries, or even turning the radio off when something relevant comes up, because it just raises my blood pressure pointlessly.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
1 March 2014, 14:00,
RE: Taking a break from prepping / Mental Reboot
no I don't see the need to step back from preparedness, in fact if we "take our eye of the ball" the sticky stuff might creep up on us and really hit the fan while we are not watching, I for one do not intend to be caught napping.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
1 March 2014, 14:39,
IMO, good points are made about the abnormalcy bias. I can see that in myself always watching the financial markets and other stuff, wondering if this is the beginning. One could get so involved with doomsday and prepping for tomorrow, that they dont live and enjoy life today.

I think its good to step back occassionally. Not like throwing everything out, still keep your stuff, just dont make it the center of your life.
1 March 2014, 14:41,
Tibbs I frequently completely ignore my preps and gear and vehicles for months and do other stuff, but the only concession I make is I still keep an eye on the news to see if any problems that may affect my family are developing. We all would go stir crazy if we only ever focused on gloom and doom and prepping. Take a well earned break .

1 March 2014, 15:06,
yeah i do...i go on holiday...i take the same holiday precautios i always have done...i feel it's to depressing to be in prep mode 24/7 365....after all it may never happen in my lifetime.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
1 March 2014, 16:07,
It all depends on what you are propping for!

More than once this winter I have breathed a sigh of relief as I unpacked gear I hoped I would never have to use as -30 temps and deep snow blanketed my region, grids failed and roads were impassable.

When you prep for disasters that happen on a regular basis, and see your preps operating to your favor in the face of adversity, you feel validated rather than depressed.

If you are prepping for a scenario that is far fetched, unlikely, our unjustifiable, and you never see the benefits of your efforts at work, you will not be able to justify your actions to anyone else, or finally to yourself.

I loved my job/career path, but I constantly had to remind myself that I needed breaks so I could return to that activity with a fresh perspective. So what did I do?

I took time off from work as a history prof to visit various museums and historic sites and work archeology digs!!

Talk about shooting oneself in the foot!!!
1 March 2014, 21:27,
Personally I do sometimes take a break from prepping but as it is so integrated into my life I never really give it up. If you want to avoid the stress and high blood pressure then don't read beyond the headlines in the news.

I do read a lot about it but it focusses my attention on what I am doing.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
2 March 2014, 09:20,
I can understand the stress Tibbs and a desire to stand back a bit, but right NOW .... No Way! ....Now! Is the very time to pick up the pace .....only my opinion .....As BP polnts out do not get caught knapping ....leave that for SHEEPLE prepping is a way of life for me ....but dropping down a gear can sometimes help though.
2 March 2014, 09:46, (This post was last modified: 2 March 2014, 10:44 by RoadWarrior.)
Think there is WAY too much going on at this very moment , Ukraine/Soviet troop movements/Crimea.....Japan/China Island disputes.....BP and SS are right ....dont possibly wanna get caught with your pants down !

supposedly 6,000 Russian troops in Ukraine now....Remember that this is closer than Syria...and Obozo and Putin will lock horns over this .....one to keep an eye on! IMO
2 March 2014, 15:07,
Totally road warrior! I need time out now and again, but now really is not the time, this one has potential to go proper tits up!