Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taking a break from prepping / Mental Reboot
2 March 2014, 18:19,
RE: Taking a break from prepping / Mental Reboot
You know what Tibbs. I totally get where you're coming from.

I went out shooting yesterday and my friend started talking prepping. Turns out we have another team member or 2. But I really wasn't in the mood to speak prepping. Sometimes you need to pull over and walk in another direction. The thing is, if you're walking in another direction, because you're sick of driving, it doesn't mean you get rid of your car, right?

Get the time off you need. We'll still be here for you when/if you return.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
2 March 2014, 18:39,
Being prepared makes me feel happy, if I wasn't able to ride out a storm I would be looking out for the storm all the time. Now, I can ignore the world, knowing that if it all goes pear shaped I'll be able to look after my family.
3 March 2014, 15:05,
I don't think that now is the time guys ,just what ithink
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
3 March 2014, 16:23,
If everything will be fine even if you "check out" for a bit,

is that not an admission that you are simply wasting your time in the first place?

Or that your efforts have not benefitted you or changed your lifestyle in any way?

That the sum total of all your communication has been an exercise in bull $!* and not action?

Personally;

I have livestock to feed, a garden to put out, a place to keep up, wood to cut and split, vehicles that need maintenance, predators to control, people to see and things to do.

If all you have to do to "walk away" from being a prepper is turn off the TV and stay off the computer for a few days then you were never where you needed to be for survival of the simplest emergency anyway.
3 March 2014, 16:51,
For me prepping is a mind-set. its not something I can turn off. Its always there.

For us its difficult to draw a line between prepping and normal life.

We just do things that need doing, but do them in a way that is appropriate to prepping objectives as well.

For example, we re-plumbed last year and took the opportunity to redesign the system so that we could 100% maintain it on our own. The pipes had to be replaced anyway, the extra cost to make the new layout align with our prepping needs was insignificant.

Prepping activity should be cumulative. Do a job properly and then move on to the next or take a break, knowing that you've taken another staep towards a safer future. As Steve said earlier, prepping should give you greater confidence, not greater paranoia!!!
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

3 March 2014, 17:32,
Mort i'm an urban dweller...its mostly about squirreling away the nessescities of life for me at this moment...have no animals at home, garden is slabbed , bikes and cars are serviced up to schedule , water butts are full ,i'm studying and practicing things i need to know(fortunate that my job allows me to do this in work time mostly) i'm as ready as funds and commitments allow right now....but my feeling is i want a life now , its about striking a balance and if it happen's while i'm away on my trip of a lifetime then thats just unlucky....i'm not going to let my fears for the future stop me living a complete life now.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
3 March 2014, 18:10,
with what is going on in the world today-especially this Ukraine thing- I don't think we can afford to take our eye off the ball for one minute. I mean, prepping dosent have to take up every waking hour, but its always there in the back of my mind in everything I do.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 March 2014, 18:36,
I suppose you do what you have to do,

Go ahead and flip the switch, turn it off and walk away.
3 March 2014, 20:18,
I'm sorry, but has everyone missed what he's saying?

There is no talk that he's leaving forever. There's no suggestion that he's going to throw everything away. There's no talk that he thinks the whole world is going to be fine and we'll all live happily-ever-after. We seem to have created a storyline that has nothing to do with Tibbs, aside from it has the phrase 'going away' in it.

He has said he's taking a step back, so that he can view things more clearly. I think there are a lot of us that can benefit from such actions. I know that myself, SD, and a few others, like to get away and 'not prep' for a while. I like to get out and enjoy the wilderness. I brush up on some bushcraft, maybe a little tracking, or something like that. Although it can be prep-related, I do it with no thought of prepping. It's more about getting back to nature and getting away from the daily grind. No thought of work, my business, or anything like that. No bills, no excess in the bank, no cats, dogs, or any of the other 19 animals we have. The only thoughts of the wife are when I'm snuggling up for bed under a pile of leaves. That is my reset.

Also, please can we all recognise that once you REBOOT a computer, it doesn't suddenly change into a toaster or a fridge. It goes back to what it is originally, but with the intention of working better in it's original role. The same is true with Tibbs. He's not getting away to become a "Sheeple" (stupid word, but I couldn't be bothered to get a better phrase), but to be able to see the world from fresh eyes.

He has the basics of his preps in place, so if anything does happen, he's got great starting blocks to build on. Plus, since many suggest the collapse will be slow, he will still have plenty of time to come back and start loading up.

Have an awesome time Tibbs.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
4 March 2014, 12:36,
When I say taking a break from prepping, I'm not walking away from preparedness. I still carry my edc, and I still monitor the news and current affairs/geopolitics from a variety of mainstream and non mainstream sources.

What I mean is, I think It's long overdue for me to take my prepping hat off, and just critically evaluate my preps so far from a neutral position. I'm not sure of the exact, correct terminology, but I think that my prepping has been a source of discord in my life. By this I mean preparedness and my day to day life have not meshed perfectly.

For several years I've immersed myself in prepping without much critical evaluation. Much of the media, books and guides to preparedness is directed at adult, american men, with a source of income and a place of their own, and how to change their current position to suit preparedess. My attempts to follow this roadmap have been frustrated by my current position; I have been striving to achieve this state of preparedness without thinking if this is wise or even possible for me at this time. I need to criticially evaulate what I can actually achieve now, until I have a place of my own that I can control. Right now I am severely limited by my families skepticism of preparedness.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8