Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ref Ukraine
4 March 2014, 16:44,
RE: Ref Ukraine
(4 March 2014, 16:01)bigpaul Wrote: I'm not really concerned about what the UK will do-probably nothing as usual- but I'm more interested in what Russia might do in the light of possible "sanctions".....turn off the gas pipeline maybe??

Nah, cuts off their income.

they'd just crank the price up...
4 March 2014, 16:47,
I reckon they'll turn the gas tap off just to bring Ukraine to heel!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 March 2014, 17:28,
(4 March 2014, 16:47)bigpaul Wrote: I reckon they'll turn the gas tap off just to bring Ukraine to heel!!

They don't need to. Crimea is already allied to Russia.

Quote:SIMFEROPOL, Ukraine — The prime minister of Crimea, the autonomous Ukrainian republic seized by Russian military forces, said on Tuesday that a majority of Ukrainian military units on the peninsula had surrendered and pledged allegiance to his pro-Russian government, and that local officials were working to speed up a referendum on independence
4 March 2014, 17:44,
yeah, CRIMEA is, Ukraine-at least the western part dosent want anything to do with them.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 March 2014, 18:09,
(4 March 2014, 17:44)bigpaul Wrote: yeah, CRIMEA is, Ukraine-at least the western part dosent want anything to do with them.

Yup, and Russia is only really interested in protecting it's ports it has on lease in the Crimean peninsular. Ukraine itself, well, it produces more food than it can consume as a nation, but that's about it. Russia won't cut off its nose to spite its face, Putin is too smart for that. Yes, it would be a good strategic stronghold (why do you think the west incited this "Pro-European" uprising(?) in the first place?) but it's not worth starting a war over, cold or otherwise...
4 March 2014, 18:22, (This post was last modified: 4 March 2014, 18:26 by bigpaul.)
you can never tell with the Russians-anything is possible, their liable to start a war just cos they dont want to be seen as backing down.

oh well, nothing I can do if it kicks off anyway, I just hope the west can stay out of it-for once.
4 March 2014, 18:59,
Nothing to worry about with Ukraine folks....just a side show.....follow the money....just my opinion.
4 March 2014, 19:51,
(4 March 2014, 18:22)bigpaul Wrote: oh well, nothing I can do if it kicks off anyway, I just hope the west can stay out of it-for once.

Yup, fingers crossed Team America World Police stay at home. I don't see they have much option really. There was that treaty signed by UK, USA, Ukraine and someone else that agreed to protect the sovereignty of Ukraine in face of an invasion (1994??) But I've heard nothing about it since it's initial mention in the news.

This has buried the bitcoin stories, but this isn't the forum to go off on that tangent tonight...
4 March 2014, 20:28,
FYI Sky is now reporting that Russia is " test" firing ICBMs
7 March 2014, 00:51,
Don't know if this is relevant, but National Grid have dramatically curtailed natural gas electricity generation this evening, in favour of coal. On average it's about 28%. Currently 7%.

http://ukenergywatch.org