Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potholes, worse than I realised
10 March 2014, 10:39,
Potholes, worse than I realised
I knew full well potholes can damage tyres and crack alloy wheels as well as bend or distort steel wheels ( BOVs should only really have steel wheels cos you can whack them back into shape with a hammer whilst alloy rims shatter).

I know they can unseat bikers Sad and cyclists Big Grin
But I never knew just how destructive they can be, This AM my neighbours Isuzu 4x4 just got towed home after my neighbour Rob hit a pothole he said was only about 6 inches deep, he must have been very unlucky cos it not only totally shredded his 16 inch 4x4x tyre causing the tread to be ripped off, but it also cracked the road wheel itself AND its bent the steering out of alignment.

Imagine us trying to bug out and meeting a pothole like that ? rob got caught out cos the pothole was full of water, so I think the lesson is that if its a SHTF situation to try and not drive through surface water unless your sure there's no potholes, or consider going through the water much slower than you would in a non SHTF situation.

10 March 2014, 12:29,
RE: Potholes, worse than I realised
just goes to confirm what some people have said about roads breaking up post SHTF, apparently its the water that washes out the ballast and the road collapses from underneath, rather than ice and snow which causes cracks to form.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
10 March 2014, 13:21,
In a SHTF world I don't think it will be long before Horses become the best form of transport, permanent four wheel drive, runs on grass, and if it breaks down you can eat it.
10 March 2014, 14:01,
"In a SHTF world I don't think it will be long before Horses become the best form of transport, permanent four wheel drive, runs on grass, and if it breaks down you can eat it."

I spose you could do the same with slaves, it would put all the chavs to use Smile

10 March 2014, 14:04,
most of the chavs are too lazy, they wont survive the first winter. I know where every horse and donkey is in a 10 mile radius of home.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
10 March 2014, 14:16,
Seriously chaps, if you have the chance I recommend going to a riding school and do it, there are lots that have supervised classes, where you can get out into the sticks for an hour or so, and it is good fun.
Although I am not sure about BP on a Donkey with long hair and a Beard, people might mistake him for the Messiah of the MoorsBig Grin
10 March 2014, 14:28,
(10 March 2014, 14:16)Tartar Horde Wrote: Although I am not sure about BP on a Donkey with long hair and a Beard, people might mistake him for the Messiah of the MoorsBig Grin

I wasn't thinking of riding it TH, a bit cruel to plonk 16 odd stone on a poor old donkey! I was thinking of either as a pack animal or to pull a small cart !!
10 March 2014, 16:52,
Has it been six months and time for our semiannual pothole thread already?
10 March 2014, 17:18,
(10 March 2014, 16:52)Mortblanc Wrote: Has it been six months and time for our semiannual pothole thread already?

Yup Smile

How are your potholes MB?

I manage to avoid most of the pot holes that blight our roads, mostly by looking where I'm driving.
10 March 2014, 17:39,
(10 March 2014, 17:18)BeardyMan Wrote: I manage to avoid most of the pot holes that blight our roads, mostly by looking where I'm driving.

I doubt that very much, especially at the speeds you say you drive!!Big Grin