• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potholes, worse than I realised
10 March 2014, 20:14,
RE: Potholes, worse than I realised
got loads of em here in south wales ......we call em valleys
10 March 2014, 21:05,
(10 March 2014, 17:18)BeardyMan Wrote:
(10 March 2014, 16:52)Mortblanc Wrote: Has it been six months and time for our semiannual pothole thread already?

Yup Smile

How are your potholes MB?

I manage to avoid most of the pot holes that blight our roads, mostly by looking where I'm driving.

Oh we have our share, especially after repeated -30 freezes and thaws and the heavy traffic on most of our roadways. Just a fact of life and nothing to obsess over.

When the weather changes the road crews will come out and fill them. Since potholes are a repeat performance they are included in the repair budget and not ignored as if they would never happen again.

We even have a "hot line" for reporting the ones that threaten to swallow small vehicles and dog carts. The crew will rush out, take photos and put them on the local news to show what a timely and necessary service they are providing.

Which brings up the point that SHTF, as we always stress, will not bring the instant melting of the roadways. They will be no worse one year after total SHTF than they are right now. Two or three years and one will need to drive slowly and bounce through the gaps in pavement. 5 years down the trail, well, that is why I bought the 4wd.

But two or three years down the way you will be more concerned about obtaining petrol for your tractor/tiller than for your auto, and you likely will not have much visiting or shopping to do.

Amazing is it not that at the top of the forum we are considering the outbreak of WW3 and at the bottom or greatest worry is a hole in the road.
11 March 2014, 09:14,
a hot line ,we have a hot line here ,we ring it, and the council say piss off we got no money ,the best one is the road tax we pay on cars here is not used for the roads ,I think its pissed away on get rich fast schemes by the torys
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
11 March 2014, 09:52,
some people say 3-5 years post SHTF and roads will be unusable here in the UK with no one repairing them, i'll give it 2 years maximum here in the south west(councils are already complaining they haven't got enough money to do them all) by which time there wont be any road fuel left anyway
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 March 2014, 16:49,
Sounds like a personal problem to me.

If we called a public response line and got a rude reply there would be a line queued up to b!%ch slap the guy with the telephone.

Over here we can call for audits and prosecute officials that misappropriate funds, or divert them to unauthorized uses. We can do this from the individual or local level and do not have to wait for the state to act.

It is not until we get to the national level that things muddy up and the tyrants take root.
11 March 2014, 16:56,
in the UK central govt is cutting funds to local govt, so called "austerity" measures, so local govt can scream that they haven't got the money to do this or that, in this case its potholes.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 March 2014, 20:16,
Yet only recently it got out that those councils whinging the most about cuts and scrapping council services were shown to have £Millions sat in banks doing nothing.