Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Salt Box
28 December 2011, 00:33,
Salt Box
I did a salt box experiment and posted it on old forum has anyone got a copy of this? As I have lost the data.

I remember the idea was to preserve some steak for a year without freezing and the salt box was the path I took to achieve this; I came across the pictures I took of the test but not the written data which has the duration of test, how it tasted and smelled and other.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
28 December 2011, 01:44, (This post was last modified: 28 December 2011, 01:48 by Nemesis.)
RE: Salt Box
From recall this steak was stored raw in the salt and was left alone for a year, it was then removed and fried and eaten by 3 or 4 of us, with no ill effect.

The salt dried it some, and almost gave it a cooked look.

It tasted very salty but not to over powering it was quite nice; I know we should have soaked it 12 hours.

Anyway it’s a shtf freezer, and cheap to make and lasts.

[Image: 9SQZEtukiNfhRLENvNOb6qJMF.jpg]

[Image: IQfYuc5y7GSWkhRKYILioygX.jpg]

[Image: NCwruiZLfu52t9ys551nuAGuc.jpg]

[Image: B6ppODOAGZzGVNr5J9odNhg45.jpg]
Just took pic of the salt box which is about or over 3 years old now, and reusable it don't go bad, we should all invest in a fair size salt box for our hunted meat or meat where ever we get it.

28/12/2011

[Image: CKgghbaMM6WZYQLzVDI6FQQ5Q.jpg]

[Image: ez39mEOsOegxrMZt3dTJwfwPc.jpg]

Remember this is small scale of what we should aim to build.

I would like the original data if anyone has it.

------------------------------------------------
28 December 2011, 03:06,
I'm sorry but I don't have a copy of your post on this. I did have a couple of questions though. firstly is that just plain table salt in there? also how did you deal with the run off? when you put meat in salt the salt sucks moisture out of the meat. Did you salt it for a day or so before putting it in the box or just stuff it in there and remove the manky salt later?

I love the idea of just having a bin in the corner full of salt and meat Smile
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.
28 December 2011, 03:32,
Good questions yes it is plain table salt I think 2.5kg bags bought from mackro.

I used a towel and squeezed the steak and rubbed salt over it, I then added it to the salt box,

"I should have wind dried at this stage I feel, or laid it on straw in cool area for a day or two"

if you look at the last pic the salt is somewhat fluffy this I put down to moisture, from the meat.
28 December 2011, 11:38,
Looked every where I didn't store it, but think you ate it with the kids, and said it tasted and smelt fine, it must have done or it wouldn't have been an idea I'd have held on to,Id imagine once soaked it would be quite nice, but so far I've cheated and went for packets of salt fish Smile but some thing I've been meaning to do is that salt box.
28 December 2011, 12:10,
(28 December 2011, 11:38)Prep Girl Wrote: Looked every where I didn't store it, but think you ate it with the kids, and said it tasted and smelt fine, it must have done or it wouldn't have been an idea I'd have held on to,Id imagine once soaked it would be quite nice, but so far I've cheated and went for packets of salt fish Smile but some thing I've been meaning to do is that salt box.

I think this year I am going to focus on smoking curing meats I need to know this first hand and not from YouTube or things I have read, so it’s time to build a smoke house.

I really do like salt fish on a hot summer day.
28 December 2011, 14:25,
I'm on it, been through the cupboards have a Tupperware air tight type thing and have loads of salt stored, gona give that a go.
28 December 2011, 15:25,
(28 December 2011, 14:25)Prep Girl Wrote: I'm on it, been through the cupboards have a Tupperware air tight type thing and have loads of salt stored, gona give that a go.

Dry the meat as best you can and then rub salt into it and leave to sit for a day, add to salt box and date it.
28 December 2011, 19:41,
did you just experiment with meat using the salt box? I'm wondering about fish
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.
28 December 2011, 21:53,
(28 December 2011, 19:41)preservefreak Wrote: did you just experiment with meat using the salt box? I'm wondering about fish

Yes the box was just a test for that bit of steak.