Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devon and Cornwall will be inundated with refugees? Ifs, maybes, and conjecture
21 March 2014, 14:50,
RE: Devon and Cornwall will be inundated with refugees? Ifs, maybes, and conjecture
BP,
re: I doubt very few in number will actually make it here, given the distances that these "refugee's" have to travel.

In my pre-prepping days, I held enough reserve fuel to give me about 1000 mile range. In in that mind set I'd have been considering the Northern part of Devon, not the South as its quieter and I know my way around better. I would not have been alone in this.

The key point in your comment are the words very few, and I agree with you.

S13
Why are you annoyed with Pareto?.... he died long ago :-) I was using the term correctly of all the 100% of capable campers, only 20% can be a assumed to have the get-up-and-go needed to break inertia. The value I was calculating was even less (10%)

To no one in particular:
It might also be wise to consider that among outdoor types, like campers, that there would be a higher than average number with map-reading and navigation skills, so blocked roads would be able to be bypassed.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

21 March 2014, 15:05, (This post was last modified: 21 March 2014, 15:11 by bigpaul.)
RE: Devon and Cornwall will be inundated with refugees? Ifs, maybes, and conjecture
LS< most people these days only fill up their car when its about to run onto the fumes, very few even here are like me and fill up when the fuel guage reaches half, so most people like John said wont get further than the end of their road. we have already mentioned the choke points and problems they would have even getting here. as for your comment about North Devon that all depends where you mean by north devon, I live in north devon but nobody outside of a 13 mile radius would know where this place is, tell most people and the answer is "where?", as for the more remoter areas, which I know well, they'd be lost and turned around within half an hour in the deep Devon lanes, that's if they got here in the first place which I very much doubt, given what we have already said before.

as for recreational campers having map reading and navigational skills, don't make me laugh, they all use sat navs, that's why they get stuck down a deep Devon lane or stuck in the middle of a raging ford cos the sat nav told them to go that way.i have seen it so many times over the years and it never ceases to amaze me how stupid some people are.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
21 March 2014, 15:37,
Hi BP

I said outdoor types, Like campers.

I don't know what you mean by recreational camper. If you are not in the military, isn't 99.9% of camping recreational?

Yes sat navs can dull your edge that's for sure, but they are a pain free way of getting you from A to B most of the time. We use ours very often, but nearly always have a hard copy map for backup.

I still think that the South West will get more than its fair share of new arrivals.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

21 March 2014, 15:41,
You do not give folk enough credit for being determined on getting to their intended destination of the misery they will endure once there.

There are some among you that look forward to insane traffic jambs, camping in the equivalent to a refugee camp and enduring horrid conditions, and paying for the privilege.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...hours.html

Neither are you taking into account that one can walk to anywhere in England from a central point in a week and drive anywhere in England from that central point on less than a tank of fuel.

Even though most of those urban and suburban folk might not know how to kill a chicken they still remember that their food comes from a place called the "countryside", and they will come looking for that food source after a week or so.

If you think being in sheep or cattle country and not planted land will save you think again. The first thing they will be looking for is food on the hoof.
21 March 2014, 15:46, (This post was last modified: 21 March 2014, 15:50 by bigpaul.)
MB, don't base your reply on the Isle of wight festival or something you might have read in the Daily Mail, I'm not going to take advise from someone who dosent live in this country and knows nothing of the country or the geography of the land, and knows even less about british peole and their way of life.

[quote='Lightspeed')

I still think that the South West will get more than its fair share of new arrivals.
[/quote]

then your the only one who does!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
21 March 2014, 15:56, (This post was last modified: 21 March 2014, 15:57 by Lightspeed.)
Enduring the elements and paying for the privilege is what makes us English so stoic MB.....surely you know that???

You're right about distances. Central London to Exeter in Devon is less than 180 miles. I'm an older guy and could do that distance by bike in two days if I was on form, and in three or four days if I took it easy.

Thinking that anywhere on mainland UK is out of range is making a big assumption.

I've seen the effects of famine at first hand and its staggering how far people will travel on foot motivated by even the slightest hint that food may await them at the end of their journey.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

21 March 2014, 16:07, (This post was last modified: 21 March 2014, 16:11 by bigpaul.)
London to Plymouth is 240 miles, maybe a VERY fit person on a bicycle could do that in 4 or 5 days, IF they had a bicycle, but having said that it is very easy to knock someone of a bike, stick a stick through the bike spokes and watch them go "arse over tit"(as we say down here) Big Grin, now walking is another thing, the average walking speed is 4MPH on good solid ground, I used to be able to do this but I reckon I'm down to 3MPH these days, in bad weather in winter? probably 2MPH, and on poor ground(it wont all be on good roads) you'll be down to 1MPH, trying to avoid scavengers, muggers, crazy people and just plain starving people??? you work it out, I don't give them much chance of making it from London to Southampton never mind getting to the South west.

ANYWAY, why this preoccupation with Devon and Cornwall? people holiday in places other than D&C you know!

this is starting to feel a tad personal now.
21 March 2014, 16:12,
You're forgeting the ones who may get there before gridlock....could be quite a few.....roads are very obvious and a lateral thinker may be able to circumnavigate the chokepoints...just for example...why not use the railways if you have a suitably sturdy car(4x4, van or truck)obviously trains will have stopped running long since , many access points are available to road vehicles just need a pair of boltcrops.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
21 March 2014, 16:15,
(21 March 2014, 16:12)Midnitemo Wrote: .roads are very obvious and a lateral thinker may be able to circumnavigate the chokepoints...just for example...why not use the railways if you have a suitably sturdy car(4x4, van or truck)obviously trains will have stopped running long since , many access points are available to road vehicles just need a pair of boltcrops.

your getting into fantasy land now, train tracks will shake a car to pieces in a very short time, if you'd said WALK on the railway I might have agreed with you!
21 March 2014, 16:16,
What I don't get about this is "why" would they travel 100's of miles across the country during some kind of SHTF situation to stay in a field which they once stayed in during the summer for a few days??

If most sheeple need to bug out, they will head to a relative, why would they go somewhere where they have no place to go to go?

Yes, those fortunate enough to own their own Holiday Homes or Static Caravans may head there, but why would joe public head somewhere where he doesn't know anyone and has no place to stay?

If something happened in London/the South East, I think the Home Counties would be the ones that have the problem wih refugees........

Schools and airports will be refugee centres and people will be directed to these centres and most will be happy with be happy to go to them for somewhere warm and dry etc.

I can also see places like Swindon and Bristol becoming huge refugee camps.

Also remember Devon (apparently) has the highest levels of gun ownership in the UK, and the Farmers won't be taking in refugees, or even looking kindly at anyone seen on their land in such situations. They will be out protecting their crops and livestock.