Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devon and Cornwall will be inundated with refugees? Ifs, maybes, and conjecture
21 March 2014, 16:18,
RE: Devon and Cornwall will be inundated with refugees? Ifs, maybes, and conjecture
exactly Devonian! I have asked the "WHY" question many times before but never had a serious answer.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
21 March 2014, 16:22,
RE: Devon and Cornwall will be inundated with refugees? Ifs, maybes, and conjecture
A friend of mine's mum and dad used to do North London to Exmouth in a day by Tandem.... and no they didn't put it on the train.

I'm not as fit as I used to be, but 50 to 70 miles a day on a bike is still doable.

No preoccupation with D&C, it is just a scenario I was thinking through and thought I'd share with the group to discuss. It was driven by finding out how many people in UK could potentially camp out, and finding out where the favourite region for camping is. By a long chalk, D&C are most popular.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

21 March 2014, 16:27, (This post was last modified: 21 March 2014, 16:34 by bigpaul.)
I'm done with this now.

(what the hell has camping out got to do with prepping?)
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
21 March 2014, 16:39,
I didn't mean travel the whole journey on the tracks just get round the obstacles and choke points and no train tracks don't destroy cars...network rail use hilux's for just such a job in certain emergency situations.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
21 March 2014, 17:03,
(21 March 2014, 14:50)Lightspeed Wrote: S13
Why are you annoyed with Pareto?.... he died long ago :-) I was using the term correctly of all the 100% of capable campers, only 20% can be a assumed to have the get-up-and-go needed to break inertia. The value I was calculating was even less (10%)

I love Pareto! The guy was a legend. I used to do about 20% of my homework and used his principle that doing 20% of my homework showed I was capable of achieving a minimum of 80% of the desired result. My mathematics teacher thought I was being cocky and when I got an A...who was laughing then hu? Sorry.....kind of went off on one.

If you are using Pareto as the concept that 20% of campers have 80% of the intelligence...I'd agree with that.

Using that principle, they would figure out that the SouthWest would not be the best place to go to, and also that they would be better positioned around where they lived, and areas they knew. So I think that the 'far abandon' of the wild-countryside, would be their last option. They're more likely to be in the caravan parks they know well, and in areas 'like their homes' that they recognise.

With that in mind, what percentage of them will have the ability to forage, or be able to set up good farming and the alike? Probably a very small amount.

I genuinely thing that a few well placed shots would deter people enough from staying near 'your area'. Even if they were just air rifle pellets through the front windscreen, or something like that. Nobody wants to settle down in an area where they're getting shot at!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
21 March 2014, 17:38, (This post was last modified: 21 March 2014, 17:41 by Devonian.)
(21 March 2014, 16:39)Midnitemo Wrote: I didn't mean travel the whole journey on the tracks just get round the obstacles and choke points and no train tracks don't destroy cars...network rail use hilux's for just such a job in certain emergency situations.

The network rail vehicles are specially converted to run on road and track.

(21 March 2014, 16:22)Lightspeed Wrote: It was driven by finding out how many people in UK could potentially camp out, and finding out where the favourite region for camping is. By a long chalk, D&C are most popular.

Actually there are very few camp sites in Devon these days. Everyone tends to stay in Holiday cottages and apartments these days.

There used to be about 6 major caravan/holiday parks within about half mile of me, but now there are none, they now all have housing on them!!
21 March 2014, 17:43,
no the mobile ops managers hilux's are standard road models...you just need to drive carefully....going gung ho breaks the cars ... not the tracks... you just need 12 inches of ground clearance and preferably all wheel drive... keep your speed down to say 15mph max and watchout for aws magnets/grids and points.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
21 March 2014, 17:47,
I think when it comes to camping, Wales, the Cotwolds, the Lake District, the Peaks etc are all more popular for camping.

Devon and Cornwall are better known for Beach Holidays and staying in crappy guest houses!
21 March 2014, 18:11,
Devon should be safe... just send out BP and scare the invaders away! Big Grin
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
21 March 2014, 18:45,
(21 March 2014, 18:11)Jonas Wrote: Devon should be safe... just send out BP and scare the invaders away! Big Grin

one sighting should do it Jonas, just ask Devonian!!!