Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devon and Cornwall will be inundated with refugees? Ifs, maybes, and conjecture
21 March 2014, 18:47,
RE: Devon and Cornwall will be inundated with refugees? Ifs, maybes, and conjecture
(21 March 2014, 18:45)bigpaul Wrote:
(21 March 2014, 18:11)Jonas Wrote: Devon should be safe... just send out BP and scare the invaders away! Big Grin

one sighting should do it Jonas, just ask Devonian!!!

No Comment Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
22 March 2014, 06:48,
RE: Devon and Cornwall will be inundated with refugees? Ifs, maybes, and conjecture
Devonian said:

I think when it comes to camping, Wales, the Cotswolds, the Lake District, the Peaks etc. are all more popular for camping.

Hi Devonian, Look at page 5 of the Foresight document. There's a graphic of spending in each region by Campers, Caravaners, Static Caravaners etc. This indicates that the SW gets as many Campers as the nearly the whole of the rest of the country put together.

This is 2007 data though, and we've had more than a few wet summers since then, so numbers will have dropped. But I bet that among all of those previously happy campers, a large majority still have their camping gear. And of course the rose tinted memories will stay with them forever.

===========================================
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

22 March 2014, 10:18,
The possibility is there, and I think it should be simple enough to drive away small groups at a time. But en-masse....that's a whole other question.

The thing is, people will be like locust in that circumstance. But they'll also be like sheep. They'll group together and the alike.

The easiest thing to do would be to destroy a load of tents in the night. I think we can all agree there will be camp-fires and large groups? It should be simple enough to join with a group and just hang by the camp-fire. Later on, when people are asleep...placing an ember here and there...simple enough to remove some equipment.

Truth be told, I'm not sure people would go too far from the areas they know best.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
22 March 2014, 10:23,
like I said before they have got to get here first. wife and I were talking about this this morning, you have got to remember there is one big obstacle to Devon............its called the River Exe! there are some but not many bridges over the Exe and they could be damaged, take for example what happened at Boscastle, tree trunk and debris come down the river and take out the bridge, nothing left, could happen on the Exe, a lot of the bridges are old and if they are not maintained the access could be cut off permanently, a lot of old bridges believe it or nor are built on "pack sacks" literally packs of wool and the bridges are built on that, on top of that they are also listed so they cant be altered, a Devon County Council highways surveyor told my wife that. The old Bideford bridge is one such bridge.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
22 March 2014, 11:32,
flooding on the River Exe: http://www.newsflare.com/video/1528/weat...once-again
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
22 March 2014, 11:56,
(22 March 2014, 06:48)Lightspeed Wrote: Hi Devonian, Look at page 5 of the Foresight document. There's a graphic of spending in each region by Campers, Caravaners, Static Caravaners etc. This indicates that the SW gets as many Campers as the nearly the whole of the rest of the country put together.

This is 2007 data though, and we've had more than a few wet summers since then, so numbers will have dropped. But I bet that among all of those previously happy campers, a large majority still have their camping gear. And of course the rose tinted memories will stay with them forever.

===========================================

None of the links on your first post are working.....

I would be very interested to see what the report classes the 'South West' as. In government terms the centre of the SW is Bristol and the SW tends to include Devon; Cornwall; Dorset; Somerset; Wiltshire; Avon; Gloucestershire and sometimes even Hampshire, Herefordshire and Worcestershire. So its a massive area.

The fact is yes a lot of people visit the SW, as for camping (Tents) then no it is not a lot, most stay in Holiday Cottages (which is a booming growth area); guest Houses; or apartments. Then you have the Static Caravan parks and the caravaners. Those in Statics have no real outdoor kit or knowledge, they are normally people on cheap package holidays from the big cities. Those with caravans would be self sufficient, but are also probably used to travelling all over the UK, South ~Coast; Norfolk; Lake District; Peaks; Cotswolds; Wales etc etc, so the SW wouldn't necessarily be their first choice.

However I still don't believe that people will just and leave the security of what they have around themselves for remote possibility of finding a safe field to pitch a tent in. Some people will move, but they will go to the security of friends and family, they will not romance about a summer on the beach in Cornwall 3 years ago.
22 March 2014, 12:11, (This post was last modified: 22 March 2014, 12:20 by bigpaul.)
unless they have something like a GENUINE Tipi or a Yurt they wont last long in a bog standard tent, in a long term event they will need somewhere to dry their clothes, wash their clothes, have a fire, get warm and cook a hot meal, if they cant do these things they will go downhill healthwise FAST! what is really needed is 4 walls and a roof, something solid not canvas and plastic, most Family Frame tents wont last long in a howling gale, I have personal experience of this!! caravans may fair slightly better but long term its a cold and miserable existence-wife and I lived in one ourselves for several years and its not pleasant. Like Devonian says, I really don't see British people leaving their homes(especially if they've bought them) to go and live in a tent in a field.

now, scavenging out from where they live, that's entirely possible, but that's an entirely different thread!Big Grin
22 March 2014, 13:12,
Devon, cornwall, are great Choices for sheeple, they have everything you need to survive .....and in great comfort ....and easy pickings to...... South Wales is very opposite.....not much down here some sheep couple of cows,the odd pig , plus we hate all invaders ,we kill them then we eat them yes ....and that's right now! God help you after tshtf. NO you best go deep south.....but beware of Dartmore ....some funny fuckers down there .....think they are known as tent people extremists .....you will know them when they greet you with a forearm smash ....then remove your wallet ...all in the same movement. I agree with LS I do not believe Most of the sheeple with just roll over and die ...when people are desperate enough they will walk rob,steal,and kill to survive .....alright some places will be a bit safer than others .....but no where will be that secure sooner or later you will have the company of the unwanted kind , on that you can be sure.
22 March 2014, 13:43,
Paul you keep mentioning property ownership like it will actually mean something....having the deeds or an outstanding mortgage will count for nothing post shtf....you can't call the police to remove anybody , you can't take them to court... the law and that way of life will be gone....you're place will only be your place for as long as you can hold on to it...i have a mortgage but would have no qualms walking away from it should circumstances dictate the move.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
22 March 2014, 14:03, (This post was last modified: 22 March 2014, 14:43 by bigpaul.)
(22 March 2014, 13:43)Midnitemo Wrote: Paul you keep mentioning property ownership like it will actually mean something....having the deeds or an outstanding mortgage will count for nothing post shtf....you can't call the police to remove anybody , you can't take them to court... the law and that way of life will be gone....you're place will only be your place for as long as you can hold on to it...i have a mortgage but would have no qualms walking away from it should circumstances dictate the move.
I was thinking more of a "state of mind"!!

(22 March 2014, 13:12)Straight Shooter Wrote: Devon, cornwall, are great Choices for sheeple, they have everything you need to survive .....and in great comfort ....and easy pickings to...... South Wales is very opposite.....not much down here some sheep couple of cows,the odd pig , plus we hate all invaders ,we kill them then we eat them yes ....and that's right now! God help you after tshtf. NO you best go deep south.....but beware of Dartmore ....some funny fuckers down there .....think they are known as tent people extremists .....you will know them when they greet you with a forearm smash ....then remove your wallet ...all in the same movement. I agree with LS I do not believe Most of the sheeple with just roll over and die ...when people are desperate enough they will walk rob,steal,and kill to survive .....alright some places will be a bit safer than others .....but no where will be that secure sooner or later you will have the company of the unwanted kind , on that you can be sure.

sorry SS my friend "Devon, great comfort", shows just how little you know about Devon, maybe down South near the coast maybe, and that's where most people will head for,if they make it, however I do believe "the golden horde" is a work of fiction and will not happen , for reasons already mentioned. I and others have already stated why people will not become refugee's, it was always NR who said "never become a refugee", some people just don't get it and never will.

given the attitude of many of the public towards food banks, I think most people would go to "emergency recue centres" and the like (rather than go somewhere they've never been or only went on holiday), the trouble with that is once they go in they are likely never to come out again(we all know what happened in similar places in the states after Katrina don't we?).