Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2012 What are your plans
4 January 2012, 17:48,
RE: 2012 What are your plans
do some courses, did a fungi course before christmas, i want to do a foraging course this year and see what other courses are on offer, go to the Wood Fair again this year (1st saturday in July) near Wellington, go to the Scythe Fair- it poured down last year so it was rained off! meet up with NR at the WG again this year-hope the weather is better this year, dont think he was impressed with the southern weather!!, continue with the allotment this year-when i can get on it-its waterlogged at present, keep practising with my air rifles at the gun club-slowed a bit last year due to working on the allotment, find somewhere to practise with my bow-there's an archery club 5 miles up the road so maybe i'll find out what lessons cost, would like to get hunting permission on some land around here but i'll have to get a bit more known first.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 January 2012, 18:01, (This post was last modified: 4 January 2012, 18:09 by Nemesis.)
(4 January 2012, 16:55)Reality Jones Wrote: I'd guess that the goats would need a lot more food than the chooks,it's a difficult choice to make.

As an answer to the original question, last year I managed to set up a couple of water butts in the back garden and start to expand my veg' patch into more of the surrounding plants so that my whole garden this year should be a mix of edible/medicinal plants with the veg planted within it.

I need to practise my trapping skills this year and practise more with my bow.

I set up two rain farms, using 220l water butts, as I said above I want to redo it all I was thinking to drill holes in the butts and make a huge 1000 Litre plus farm then thought if I have to move out I would lose water due to the holes, I did drill one and I feel it is not in my interest to do the others, so now I am designing a rain farm with flex hose connected to the gutter pipe, will mean I have to move the pipe from butt to butt, more man hours.

The garden I have done the same thing as you and can now claim 50% of my garden is edible, that is not veg I no longer grow veg at home as I have now got a fair sized allotment, I need to work on the medicinal plants I am only just reaching that stage, although I do have a large elderberry tree that offers a great yield.

I need to get more time in with my bow, I have yet to get the hang of it.

(4 January 2012, 17:48)bigpaul Wrote: do some courses, did a fungi course before christmas, i want to do a foraging course this year and see what other courses are on offer, go to the Wood Fair again this year (1st saturday in July) near Wellington, go to the Scythe Fair- it poured down last year so it was rained off! meet up with NR at the WG again this year-hope the weather is better this year, dont think he was impressed with the southern weather!!, continue with the allotment this year-when i can get on it-its waterlogged at present, keep practising with my air rifles at the gun club-slowed a bit last year due to working on the allotment, find somewhere to practise with my bow-there's an archery club 5 miles up the road so maybe i'll find out what lessons cost, would like to get hunting permission on some land around here but i'll have to get a bit more known first.

I just got an allotment BP I plan to grow basic foods, I have said before on forums foods that fill the belly up, like cabbage and most root crops, but my kids can all grow whatever they want to, I understand one wants to grow pumpkin, so whatever they want to do, half allotment for me half for them kind of thing.

Also as I said in other post I need to work on my bow skills, in fact I need to get bow skills in the first place, I am to reliant on my crossbows.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
4 January 2012, 19:09,
(4 January 2012, 18:01)WetandCold Wrote: I just got an allotment BP I plan to grow basic foods, I have said before on forums foods that fill the belly up, like cabbage and most root crops, but my kids can all grow whatever they want to, I understand one wants to grow pumpkin, so whatever they want to do, half allotment for me half for them kind of thing.
we got the allotment last year W&C, well actually we got it the November before but it was waterlogged until march, on a new site literally in the middle of a field, we've got a half plot which is big enough seeing there is only the 2 of us, rent is £30 per year, we've grown squash, potatoes, brussels, broccoli, leeks, onions and fruit-mainly raspberries and gooseberries, got a new shed and bought a motor mower to cut around the edge, like i said its in the middle of a field!!Tongue
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 January 2012, 20:30,
(4 January 2012, 19:09)bigpaul Wrote: we got the allotment last year W&C, well actually we got it the November before but it was waterlogged until march, on a new site literally in the middle of a field, we've got a half plot which is big enough seeing there is only the 2 of us, rent is £30 per year, we've grown squash, potatoes, brussels, broccoli, leeks, onions and fruit-mainly raspberries and gooseberries, got a new shed and bought a motor mower to cut around the edge, like i said its in the middle of a field!!Tongue

Looks like you’re ahead of me when it comes to growing veg, I do and have focused on my fruit trees and black berries figs and so on, my garden is now taking care of its self and that was the plan minimal effort for great reward.

But now I am back on veg and allotment will allow me to do this as I have near on used up all my garden space.

I have posted about this book before and will do again it really is worth getting and on sale price even better.

BOOK CLICK ME

--------------------------------------

Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
4 January 2012, 23:28,
get loads of wood for the woodburner which is being fitted 19 th of this month (like waiting for a baby lol ) get the garden dug over didnt do it because its been to wet hung on as i thought the frost would have sorted the weeds ,no looks like a load of weeding redo shed roofs and sort out all my tools and make space and storage for more supplies rig up better run off for the water butts ,sort out heating for green house for next winter ,solar panel security lights, solar panel electric in the sheds and back up lights to the house (thanks to w/c post s on here ) service generators ,chase a farmer up about 2 small fields that he said he might rent to me Smile hope to meet up with a few of you off this site and thats just half the stuff

all the best b/d