Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Revisiting my small BOB/GHB
30 March 2014, 16:59, (This post was last modified: 30 March 2014, 17:07 by Midnitemo.)
RE: Revisiting my small BOB/GHB
My GHB(car bag)is a lot simpler and it changes with the season , small brew kit(small swedish flint/striker/disposable lighter 3in1 coffe sachets collapsible mug) inside some ancient billy cans from a globetrotter gaz stove (cooker long gone as the small pierce cartridges are long out of production)small first aid kit/off the shelf £12 thats been suplemented with a few extra bits, petzl e lite and a cheap wind up torch, hexy stove and spare blocks , 2 x 750ml pet bottles of water , waterproof's & windproof's plus a helly hansen lifa long sleeved top ,gloves ,headover and hats(wooly and brimmed), Basic leatherman(fuse) and an opinel no7 and a swiss army spartan, one pack seven oceans lifeboat biscuits and an ancient silva compass....my wellies and spare socks live constantly in the car(horses) i never wear unsuitable footwear , either walking boots/trainers combat boots or cats

The place i'm most likely to be for a sudden event is at work and my route home from work on foot will take me past my Bol where i have caches of other usefull items.

having perused your kit list i'm thinking the small jemmy is a good idea...got one in the shed! if i can find it.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
30 March 2014, 17:07,
(30 March 2014, 16:45)NorthernRaider Wrote: Hmmm a large long metal pole with a sharp spike on is of no use even if it is designed to support mountaineers and hill walkers, I wish I was as wise as him. !!!

http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/showPart.a...tAodbhoADw

As BP says I don't know why I bother, narrow minded thinking is dominant on here and fewer people than ever can think outside the box.

Note the TITANIUM bit, light as alumunium, stronger than steel.

Over £110 on a walking pole...Really? Why not just get a gun? The poop has already hit the fan. You come running at me with your pole, and I'll just sit with a shotgun, and see how well that works out.

99% of people will swing with a weapon, and not stab, so the pointy bit isn't very important as only with training will you stab with it. If you don't believe me look it up. So, getting hit by a swing from over 90% of walking poles is not a very effective deterrent, it will hurt, but you'll still keep coming forward. Plus it's so light, it'll really not do much damage unless the point is able to contact well. Thank goodness that point has a stopper to make sure it doesn't penetrate too much! Good little safety feature that. Very helpful in a fight.

Oh and it's not made to support their whole weight, but even if it was, that would be in a downward pressure, not in a side swiped style, which is what people tend to do when attacking with 'length' weapons. See examples throughout history of why people have sharp swinging weapons and very few created good pointed arm length weapons.

While you're researching that, please put me back on your ignore list.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
30 March 2014, 17:08,
Hah, Smile just got an E mail from a member on one of the E mail groups who I have known since we were kids and the bugger said
" A hundred quid for a titanium pointy walking stick, are you mad or loaded ? "

I E mailed the bugger back instantly to point out last time he visited a few years ago he was waving his newly bought Wilkinson Sword survival knife around that cost him £200.

£200 for a very useful tool but still with only a 10 inch extra reach compared with a steel tipped titanium pole over a meter long, go figure Smile AND, Yes AND ........ all together now................ The pole is perfectly LEGAL even in town. Smile
I think he landed on his head once to often when he was a Para Smile

30 March 2014, 17:41,
(30 March 2014, 16:45)NorthernRaider Wrote: Hmmm a large long metal pole with a sharp spike on is of no use even if it is designed to support mountaineers and hill walkers, I wish I was as wise as him. !!!

http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/showPart.a...tAodbhoADw

Good find, I like the idea of that, but it is a bit steep price wise.

Shall have to see what alternatives are available......
30 March 2014, 18:17, (This post was last modified: 30 March 2014, 18:29 by NorthernRaider.)
You should give consideration to the poles roles Smile, if it was just as a walking aid then find budget priced stuff, but if its meant as a primary defence weapon is that cost saving worth it. Many members happily lash out £50 plus on a decent knife, more on a pair of boots, camping cooker etc so its all relative. One chap on holiday in the Pyrenees fought off a bear with a carbon fibre walking pole.

I mean YES Scythe would be correct if you swung a lightweight alloy pole sideways at someone it would bend, but I have seen attackers driven off by the judicious use of a pointy tipped folded up umbrella. but a reasonably price mid to good quality pole of a toughened alloy or thick walled construction could be bloody useful. Me if my effing back kicks off again I will defo buy the best one on the market.

Ypp he is that dumb.
"Over £110 on a walking pole...Really? Why not just get a gun? The poop has already hit the fan. You come running at me with your pole, and I'll just sit with a shotgun, and see how well that works out."

Scythe feel free to pop into Blacks or Mountain warehouse and buy a gun to carry around all day with your GHB / EDC, in the real world the grown ups in the UK will explore LEGAL useful items for the GHB

I love Scythe he proves the mentally debilitated can still live full lives, Now he enlightens me with his expeet knowledge that a titanium pole with a steel tip which is basically a short bloody spear is no use, but of course I must be dreaming about super rigid tough titanium poles with spear points cos he says they are mainly cheap alloy that is no use, and we should all go out and buy a gun to carry around with our GHB, Awe Bless his little cotton socks.

Anyone else old enough to remember the trend in the late 60s and early 70s of skinheads and suedeheads poaching an idea from middle class suit wearing bowler hat carrying civil servants who all bought one particular brand of brolly that was constructed round something like 12 inch thick wall steel tube with a sharpened stainless steel point, I wonder if they are still made, failing that a titanium walking pole with steel spike will have to suffice I guess :0

30 March 2014, 18:48,
[quote='NorthernRaider' )

Anyone else old enough to remember the trend in the late 60s and early 70s of skinheads and suedeheads poaching an idea from middle class suit wearing bowler hat carrying civil servants who all bought one particular brand of brolly that was constructed round something like 12 inch thick wall steel tube with a sharpened stainless steel point, I wonder if they are still made, failing that a titanium walking pole with steel spike will have to suffice I guess :0
[/quote]

if you go back a bit further, people used to carry something called a "sword stick" essentially a thin rapier type sword hidden inside a walking cane! I have a walking staff, hand made with a wrist cord, perfectly legal and heavy enough to give someone a clout.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
30 March 2014, 18:54,
NR, go back to the point you agreed with, about how people tend to fight with a pole style weapon. Swinging it around.

Also, the point of having a shotgun with your GHB...providing it's licensed, it's 100% legal. If you have a car-gun-cabinet in the boot, you'll be smiling when you have your shotty in the boot. But, considering TSHTF, law enforcement will be minimal to none. So as a completely legal route...I'd still go back to the option of a shotgun over a pointy titanium pole.

Why wouldn't anyone in their right sense of mind have a shotty with them WTSHTF. If anyone goes pull you up about it, you're off hunting duck, or vermin control, or "Stop asking questions and mind your own business, buddy."

100% legal. Wait, I think there are even gun shops that sell guns. Well that's handy. It's like drugs. They're legal. Well some of them. Same as guns, they're legal, well some of them. So as long as you stick to legal...ideal. As a primary defence, I'm sure 99% would prefer to have a shotgun than a walking pole held together with elastic.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
30 March 2014, 19:06,
A gun is fine after the total collapse of society and TEOTWAWKI, but the majority of 'events' are likely to be localised and in such situations, walking around with a gun strapped to your GHB is not really the best option.
30 March 2014, 19:10,
Scythe stop talking BS, there is almost no way on gods earth anyone in the UK especially in large numbers can carry a shotgun with them as part of a GHB unless they work for Rentokill or as a game keeper and only then when they are at work. 99.99% of the population could not and would not be allowed to keep a gun in their car 24/7/365.

Actually I said as you assumed people would swing it like a Neanderthal and it would bend, which a cheapo one would bend just as a broom shank would snap, but used wisely as a distance maintaining tool or stabbing / blocking tool it would work as well as a short stabbing spear or quarterstaff. AND ITS LEGAL AND REALISTIC.

You do live in fantasy island laddy,one day you may grow up but I doubt it, people MAY obtain a shotgun after TSHTF, but who the hell is going to be able to pop into a gun shop on the day the SHTF and buy one?? it takes weeks to get a SGC.

This article is about legal GHBs we can all carry NOW, not after TSHTF but NOW and no civilian is allowed to carry any fire arm in the UK for self defence.

YES we do have gun shops and YES you can buy guns, you fill out lots of forms, buy and install gun cabinets at home and wait weeks for cops to come and inspect your security gear, if you want to do that the day TSHTF then you are ever dafter than I thought.

Feel free to walk through Taunton or Minehead every day with a SG or FA slung over your shoulder as part of your GHB, see how long before you get tazored.

Your request to be returned to the losers in the blocked senders section is granted.

30 March 2014, 19:16,
Probably shouldn't admit to this but 10 years ago there was usually a shotgun or rimfire almost permanently in the boot of my car as i'd go shooting either on the way to or on the way home from work most days depending on what shift i was on....used to keep the bolt/ammo or forend off the shotgun with me so it couldnt be cocked in my work bag so the guns weren't able to be fired.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!