Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my project: Prepper/Stealth Bike(pedal)
29 March 2014, 11:51,
my project: Prepper/Stealth Bike(pedal)
Hello SUK friends, I hope you are all well and staying focused !? I wanted you to know about a project ive not long started on ...an old mountain bike ive saved from the local tip ! I go out and about quite abit by myself ,local trails etc but only by myself and always on foot. SO.. I had an idea of making a bike that I could go round these local "nature" trails and also possibly use at night ,with the idea of moving cached items around too, but making it blend in if I had to "ditch it" in some undergrowth and it not standing out all shiny and reflectors glowing like cats eyes..in torch light ! ( a hard job ) first job took all reflectors off, on spokes,pedals front and rear ones. the bike was orig gloss black to scuffed it all up using a sanding pad and removed what decals I could with boing water etc, took both wheels off as back one was in need of a tyre and needed "trueing up" as was slightly buckled /needed rear bearing nipping up too ..fitted a "part worn" one from local bike shop to keep costs down , sprayed a degreasing spray all over frame and parts of the wheels, took it to the local jet wash and blasted it ...then put it in yard to dry off during the day . then tried to decide which colour it would mainly be...a mix of matt black and some two shades of green and a muddy brown too.
removed as much as I could in the way of brake calipers /pedals and their shafts off the frame and have not long finished the main frame which is a mix of black and camo , im gonna do the wheels flat black..but where the brake blocks are will be dull alum as they need to function still and paint would come off regardless. i took the seat off ( I haven't covered it in camo ..yet !) and took the extending shaft to work to have an oblong piece of bar 1" by 2.5" welded on horizontally with some form of bottom support for weight and stability that allows me to fit a pair of "panniers" on these..which are 2 gas mask bags in dpm camo and are very hard wearing and waterproof to a degree. with a small bag yet to be sorted for under the seat in the future, with some yet undecided design for a front bag system . it effectively IMO will be a off road touring/camping bike ...but i like the idea of incorporating if for prepp related duties. I mean without too much trouble I cud fit some short lengths of black plastic drain pipe that I havepreviously made 2 quivers out of ..to carry .."whatever " I "needed" it too Wink will post some pics of it in the near future and as for opsec paranoia ..I wear a lot of camo anyway ..so do a lot of folks round here ..especially the "real tree" kind ! so im fine with this , cycle tracks/walks are literally minutes away ....these are already in "one " poss bug out plan ..anyway I gotta keep fit as im on the wrong side of 40 ! Smile cheers for now RW
29 March 2014, 12:07,
RE: my project: Prepper/Stealth Bike(pedal)
good post, when we lived in Somerset I was always picking up dumped bicycles but people in Devon hang on to things....they think its all worth something!! tight lot!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
29 March 2014, 12:26,
Thanx BP, I personally think that most vehicles will be of that much use during an "event " especially EMP, its easier/quieter and quicker than on foot (depending on terrain) and gives you an option too..a very inexpensive item that cud be a viable alternative IMO anyway to all on here...try a bike in your plans ..so buy one ..or fix up the one you have in the garden shed..!!
29 March 2014, 12:31, (This post was last modified: 29 March 2014, 12:36 by bigpaul.)
we bought a pair of Claude Butler "Hybrid" bikes(cross between a mountain bike and a road bike) from a bike hire place-they buy new stock every year and sell off the "old" bikes. fixed up a pair of panniers-one on each bike....their bright orange(the panniers) but will do until I can get something else...paid £2 for them at a car boot.

recycling centres often have bikes to sell, most are a bit rusty but you might be lucky. I had a bike when we lived in Glastonbury....ex tenant had dumped it in their garden when they left, I cleaned it up and resprayed it and used it for years, it had 5 gears, the brakes weren't too good but were ok if you didn't ride down steep hills and expect it to stop at the bottomBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
29 March 2014, 14:37, (This post was last modified: 29 March 2014, 14:38 by Straight Shooter.)
Ha two mountain bikes given me by son inlaw ......few months back , all working fine ...cleaned up fine . Made my S13 sled / trailer which tow,s fine , not thought of camo RD ....but can see that would be a good idea , I will not strip them down ....I will just slap some paint over to your type of spec ....as for paniers ...will weld up some frame , and make up some paniers out of what ever I have kicking about.....I am the wrong side of 60 .....I spect I will be pushing the bugger.

Sorry RW I ment
29 March 2014, 16:07,
Aye BP, when I go to the local tip (to throw stuff away) Im amazed at what people throw out(cue "Wombles theme") ..like pedal bikes with flat tyres/as new treads and tiny specs of surface rust that may have been used in the wet ..once or twice perhaps.! i must say that my project..when completed.. will make a nice matching pair with that crossbow mate Wink
hey SS mate...hope your well mate , we got this bike from new for my step son about 2002 and he used it...skidding it about and stuff,and then was in our garden shed till recently ...and if i can get it sorted for less than £50 then i will be happy ..those gas mask bags were only £3 each and are very well made too ! i can fit a trangia stove (ex Army one) in it easy plus other stuff ...probs one of my most versatile bits of kit ive ever bought ,ive a good first aid kit in another one i have in olive green too ,so i can recommend these mate .Smile
29 March 2014, 16:16,
(29 March 2014, 16:07)RoadWarrior Wrote: Aye BP, when I go to the local tip (to throw stuff away) Im amazed at what people throw out(cue "Wombles theme") ..like pedal bikes with flat tyres/as new treads and tiny specs of surface rust that may have been used in the wet ..once or twice perhaps.! i must say that my project..when completed.. will make a nice matching pair with that crossbow mate Wink

I think come SHTF we'll all either be riding bikes, horses/ponies/donkeys or walking everywhere, if I had the room I'd have a shed full of bikes just for when TSHTF either to use or to trade.
29 March 2014, 19:58, (This post was last modified: 29 March 2014, 20:05 by Straight Shooter.)
what a bloody good idea BP ....bartering bikes , I like it loads

I am thinking ......ejecter saddles bout 100 yards ought to do it.!

By the way RW ......BP is running a 3 day course on skip diving for begginers ....very popular so I am told.
30 March 2014, 10:30,
(29 March 2014, 19:58)Straight Shooter Wrote: By the way RW ......BP is running a 3 day course on skip diving for begginers ....very popular so I am told.

ye jest SS but I reckon I could do it for a living....the amount of stuff people throw away, when did any of you have to look for a tin to put stuff in, I've got cupboards full up of tins just for putting something it, recycling day around here is a gold mine some weeks.
30 March 2014, 14:59,
RW, that sounds cool mate. I'm looking at getting at off road bike (this weekend kind of sealed my mind on one). Will be good to get some pics up of your work.

2 recommendations for pannier equipment, a little camo net to hide the bike, second recommendation, spare cycling shorts. That nappy padding stuff really helps!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin