Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick Tip #3
7 April 2014, 12:49,
Quick Tip #3
Please note, this will get you beaten if you hang out with me.

Spare socks are awesome. Nothing like nice warm feet, or a change of socks just before you get into that sleeping bag. We all know that feeling of changing wet socks for lovely dry ones! Bliss.

Well, this is the real super quick trip.

Those spare socks make good little mittens if you have nothing else available, and when you change your wet socks for the ones on your hands, they'll actually be a little bit warmer than just clean socks alone! Damn right, nice heated socks, and stupid looking mittens!

Oh, on a more serious note, if you have small gloves that are lacking warmth, the same applies. Add those spare socks to your hands, over your gloves. The benefits will be very apparent.

p.s. if they're white socks, you could tie them around your head and pretend you're the guys from the 118 adverts. Moustache's would help. Not sure if this last point helps with prepping though.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
7 April 2014, 23:20,
RE: Quick Tip #3
Hate to agree but spare socks make great mittens. Used that trick myself on Cairngorm plateau in winter in 60+mph wind. Gloves blew away and map too. It was a long time ago. I was young and stupid. We would hear the wind about 2 seconds before it hit us so we'd run 10 yds, drop to the ground out of the wind, then get up and run another 10 yds before dropping again. Must have looked hilarious to anyone who could see us. Still had sock mitts on 2 hrs later in the pub.
“In the long history of humankind those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed” Charles Darwin