Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Is Camping and Bushcraft a part of prepping and survivalism? Your Views
7 April 2014, 13:25,
Is Camping and Bushcraft a part of prepping and survivalism? Your Views
I'm lost for words.

On another thread, 2 people have said that Bushcraft and Wilderness Survival are nothing to do with Prepping or Survivalism.

This has blown me away.

NR accepts that they're useful skills, but still says they are not a part of prepping or survivalism.

BP just says they're nothing to do with it at all.

I'd love to get to know where you guys are coming from, but I'd also love to get some feedback from other members on the forum to see what they think too.

My view, they are a 'last resort' system. A part of bugging out, if you're on a multiple day journey, same as if you're out with a GHB, the skills could be vital to getting home. They are not the be all and end all, but in a worse case scenario, at least you have the skills and ability to survive.

You can still do all the usual survival stuff, e.g. solar panels, and the alike, but you have a load more skills that could be hugely useful!

What's your view on this?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
7 April 2014, 13:27,
RE: Is Camping and Bushcraft a part of prepping and survivalism? Your Views
If one stays at home all the time, and never ventures far from the arm-chair, then of course one will be of the opinion that these are nothing to do with survivalism and prepping.

Those who get out and do things away from the computer, well, we know better.
7 April 2014, 13:31,
you mean like people who think an Adult Adventure park just off the A38 is camping on Dartmoor.or people who camp 1 mile from the car park and have to make repeated trips back and forward to their car cos they forget the right item are preppers??
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
7 April 2014, 13:34,
(7 April 2014, 13:31)bigpaul Wrote: you mean like people who think an Adult Adventure park just off the A38 is camping on Dartmoor.or people who camp 1 mile from the car park and have to make repeated trips back and forward to their car cos they forget the right item are preppers??

Adult Adventure park? Is this a site you frequent with your swingers group Paul?
7 April 2014, 13:36,
Bushcraft and Wilderness Survival is not Prepping or Survivalism, they are simply very basic skillsets used to enhance peoples skills just like First aid training, shooting, fishing, vehicle mechanics, cooking, radio operation, carpentry, animal husbandry, horse riding, rock climbing, sail boating, canoeing, food preserving.

They are simply one facet of preparedness and survivalism and for millions quite a small facet

A basic camp craft course is often enough to provide the essential skills needed for living outdoors a while.

But then of course there is the Rambo element to consider.

7 April 2014, 13:38,
(7 April 2014, 13:36)NorthernRaider Wrote: Bushcraft and Wilderness Survival is not Prepping or Survivalism

Huh Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
7 April 2014, 13:40,
(7 April 2014, 13:31)bigpaul Wrote: you mean like people who think an Adult Adventure park just off the A38 is camping on Dartmoor.or people who camp 1 mile from the car park and have to make repeated trips back and forward to their car cos they forget the right item are preppers??

If that's a jab at me, I could have very easily coped without those trips, but I was in the mood for the walks and donuts that I got haha. I covered around 20 miles in 24 hours...and nearly broke a sweat. It's always good to test your fitness...which is why Danzord kept walking with me on the Sunday. Did we need to do the walks? Nope. Did we benefit from them? Hell yeah!

Did surviving on Dartmoor make us preppers or survivalists? We didn't survive on Dartmoor, we simply tested gear and spoke about a lot of things, as well as learn some skills. All steps in the right direction.

Is taking steps in the right direction a part of prepping? Hell yeah!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
7 April 2014, 13:41,
Forgot to add some folks actually enjoy Bushcraft and Wilderness survival, I certainly did but in the end it is only a tiny part of preparedness.
I had to do lots of it in the army, ended up teaching it to recruits at one point, its defo a useful skillset but most definitely NOT PREPPING OR SURVIVALISM any more than First aid or Cooking could be classed as Survivalism or prepping in their own rights.

7 April 2014, 13:41,
(7 April 2014, 13:40)Scythe13 Wrote:

If that's a jab at me, I could have very easily coped without those trips, but I was in the mood for the walks and donuts that I got haha. I covered around 20 miles in 24 hours...and nearly broke a sweat.

You did make it more than 30 foot up towards the top of the tor though, didn't you.....?
7 April 2014, 13:43,
bushcraft and wilderness survival are useful when travelling to your BOL and travelling home after a SHTF event, things like which wild plants are edible(and which aren't), which wood burns best(and gives out least smoke), trapping and snaring, are all good skills but they are not the be all and end all, and are not a permanent solution is a post SHTF "civilisation".
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.