Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Is Camping and Bushcraft a part of prepping and survivalism? Your Views
7 April 2014, 14:00,
RE: Is Camping and Bushcraft a part of prepping and survivalism? Your Views
NorthernRaider Wrote:
Whist the thinking man would have walked around it Smile Only joking Smile

In all fairness, I was feeling a little lazy and I actually did try to find a better route, but didn't end up finding one. Since the Tor was at the top of the hill and all sides were equally steep...no choice Sad

-------------------------------------------------------------------

That oh so reminds me of a charity event some years ago where a load of paras, infantry and gurkas offered to team up for charity and race up some bloody hill like Snowden. they all had to carry weighted packs so they were all being physically challenged.

When they got to the top the Paras and Inf emptied the rocks out of their rucksacks then stared in awe at the gurkas who had filled their bags with foods like boxes or Mars bars. Live is only as hard as you make it Smile

7 April 2014, 14:00,
Oh, that's cool NR. Thank you. I still hate you, but that's a good bit of information, cheers mate.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
7 April 2014, 14:02, (This post was last modified: 7 April 2014, 14:03 by bigpaul.)
(7 April 2014, 13:56)Scythe13 Wrote:
(7 April 2014, 13:55)bigpaul Wrote:
(7 April 2014, 13:50)BeardyMan Wrote:
(7 April 2014, 13:46)bigpaul Wrote: you were all camped on a scheduled ancient monument in a prohibited camping area.
Can't have been that prohibited...

A fine spot it was actually, very peaceful.
it might have been peaceful, you were probably sleeping on ancient remains of dead people, that's why its a scheduled ancient monument. no respect.

BP, that's miles from accurate. It was ancient house ruins, not a burial ground mate.

how do you know? in ancient times the dead were buried near the living, not always I grant you. but anyway that's beside the point(I did say PROBABLY) its an ancient scheduled monument, if anyone had bothered to get a map from the tourist information office they would have known. just cos the plebs were crawling over it dosent make it ok, just shows how thick they are and disrespectful too, good job the Ranger didn't come across you all he'd have got you all to move on.

still, I cant expect townies to understand can I?
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
7 April 2014, 14:05,
Bushcraft and Wilderness survival skills like map reading, and camp cooking , abseiling or obstacle crossing ARE ONLY FACETS or skill sets of their own, they are not and have never been PREPPING AND SURVIVALISM ( the sum of the multiple individual skills)

Youngsters often confuse them and its no real big deal, but usually as they get older, bolder and wiser they realise that basha building for one fit young dude aint going to cut it when theirs wifies, kids and other dependants in tow and you may not be out their for a weekend on Dartmoor, you may be out for 6 bloody months or more.

Bushcraft and Wilderness survival are simply facets or parts of a whole skillset that in total is prepping and survivalism.

7 April 2014, 14:06,
(7 April 2014, 14:02)bigpaul Wrote: how do you know? in ancient times the dead were buried near the living, not always I grant you. but anyway that's beside the point(I did say PROBABLY) its an ancient scheduled monument, if anyone had bothered to get a map from the tourist information office they would have known. just cos the plebs were crawling over it dosent make it ok, just shows how thick they are and disrespectful too, good job the Ranger didn't come across you all he'd have got you all to move on.

Firstly, I don't think they'd burry their dead under their floorboards.

Secondly, if the ranger had told us to move on, we would have done so...a little further up to the tor, or maybe down the hill closer to the woods.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
7 April 2014, 14:08,
FYI Ray Mears and Bear Grylls are NOT survivalists. Survivalists are people like Mel Tappan or Ragnar Benson

7 April 2014, 14:09,
(7 April 2014, 14:02)bigpaul Wrote:
(7 April 2014, 13:56)Scythe13 Wrote:
(7 April 2014, 13:55)bigpaul Wrote:
(7 April 2014, 13:50)BeardyMan Wrote:
(7 April 2014, 13:46)bigpaul Wrote: you were all camped on a scheduled ancient monument in a prohibited camping area.
Can't have been that prohibited...

A fine spot it was actually, very peaceful.
it might have been peaceful, you were probably sleeping on ancient remains of dead people, that's why its a scheduled ancient monument. no respect.

BP, that's miles from accurate. It was ancient house ruins, not a burial ground mate.

how do you know? in ancient times the dead were buried near the living, not always I grant you. but anyway that's beside the point(I did say PROBABLY) its an ancient scheduled monument, if anyone had bothered to get a map from the tourist information office they would have known. just cos the plebs were crawling over it dosent make it ok, just shows how thick they are and disrespectful too, good job the Ranger didn't come across you all he'd have got you all to move on.

still, I cant expect townies to understand can I?

Ah, so I'm a "townie" now? How very enlightened you are BP...
I may live in a city now, but I'm a country boy.

I understand the rules... Following them is optional.
7 April 2014, 14:11, (This post was last modified: 7 April 2014, 14:13 by bigpaul.)
(7 April 2014, 14:06)Scythe13 Wrote: Firstly, I don't think they'd burry their dead under their floorboards.

firstly they didn't have floorboards, they had earthen floors and secondly round houses have been excavated with the dead just under the floor, yes I know this wasn't a roundhouse it was made of stone-but that is the local building material on the moors.

(7 April 2014, 14:09)BeardyMan Wrote: [quote='bigpaul' pid='80313' dateline='1396875727']
[quote='Scythe13' pid='80310' dateline='1396875371']
[quote='bigpaul' pid='80308' dateline='1396875307']
[quote='BeardyMan)

course you are...................for all of 9 months.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
7 April 2014, 14:14,
Its all mute points, I've met people who say they are survivalists and fully switched on only to then say they never open the bonnet on their vehicles to check the fluids and never check their tyre pressures, I've had em say to my face they will keep using the frayed string on their bows until they snap even though I should em the photos of the guy with a shattered arrows through his hand cos the frayed string on his bow failed. I've had married dudes with kids who say if TSHTF they would just leave their families and bugger off to the hills.

People can call themselves what they like, just cos they talk the talk doesn't mean they walk the walk.

7 April 2014, 14:20,
(7 April 2014, 14:11)bigpaul Wrote:
(7 April 2014, 14:06)Scythe13 Wrote: Firstly, I don't think they'd burry their dead under their floorboards.

firstly they didn't have floorboards, they had earthen floors and secondly round houses have been excavated with the dead just under the floor, yes I know this wasn't a roundhouse it was made of stone-but that is the local building material on the moors.

(7 April 2014, 14:09)BeardyMan Wrote: [quote='bigpaul' pid='80313' dateline='1396875727']
[quote='Scythe13' pid='80310' dateline='1396875371']
[quote='bigpaul' pid='80308' dateline='1396875307']
[quote='BeardyMan)

course you are...................for all of 9 months.

That wasn't in "the country", that was in "the 3rd world country"...

I lived in the Fens for 25(ish) years.
But then I don't expect someone from the SW to understand general common sense, or anything really...