Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hunting Kit
11 April 2014, 11:05,
RE: Hunting Kit
as in "camp....ing" you mean??Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 April 2014, 11:12,
very good Big Grin
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
11 April 2014, 22:48,
Bow, 8 arrows, spare string, beeswax, thumb ring, small Buck assisted opening knife, food bags, water bottle, small portable shrine to God Mogwah.
Scythe mate, you are turning into a right Himbo, poncy bug spray is for sissies, man up and take itAngel
besides that it makes you smell like a human, very bad for hunting grasshopper.
11 April 2014, 23:10, (This post was last modified: 11 April 2014, 23:37 by Scythe13.)
(11 April 2014, 22:48)Tartar Horde Wrote: Scythe mate, you are turning into a right Himbo, poncy bug spray is for sissies, man up and take itAngel
besides that it makes you smell like a human, very bad for hunting grasshopper.

I attract mozzies more than anyone I know. I'm already dosing on my B Vits mate.

Can I just ask why nobody has mentioned a hide, decoys, call's, bait, or anything like that?

I know there are a few hunters on here, that I really respect. But certain comments are really not helpful, appropriate, beneficial, or even based in practical experience.

If you know diddly-squat about a subject, don't make comments that will just make you look stupid.

There were some really good responses, and those are hugely appreciated. Thank you for commenting.

There are others that make me thing "Well clearly you've never shot a rabbit..duck...pigeon..." This thread should be considered a way to filter those with experience, and those whom have accumulated dross and know not how to use it haha.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
12 April 2014, 07:36,
I have a call that mimicks a wounded rabbit....calls the foxes in pretty good....but I usually cheat with foxes , leave em a meal in the same spot a few times and then when they get used to popping over for there takeout....i'll be waiting.....decoy's for ducks and pigeons are just a bit cumbersome to be humping around on a general hunt/rough shoot,it's a more specific /elaborate job setting up the hide placing the decoy's in a realistic/believable pattern... I'm more inclined to find a sitty tree get in place before the roost and claim a small bag of pigeons that way.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
12 April 2014, 07:58,
(12 April 2014, 07:36)Midnitemo Wrote: I'm more inclined to find a sitty tree get in place before the roost and claim a small bag of pigeons that way.

Haha, I've done that and had pigeons land in the branches above me. In a hide, it's much easier to sit back, relax, then pop loads! haha

It's not something I'd recommend carrying around. Was just one of the items I thought someone might mention.
12 April 2014, 09:04,
An old advertising slogan goes: <<If you want to get ahead, get a hat>>

A large brimmed hat should be on the list of take-alongs as well.

Particularly so if you're intending shooting pigeon, keeping your pale face shaded definitely improves your chances.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

12 April 2014, 13:54,
Baseball cap with netting under, to cover the face. But that's not in the bag mate. That's general hunting clothing.
13 April 2014, 11:40,
A rifle bag with dark coloured lining that unzips enough to lay flat makes life more comfortable. I would also include a lightweight camo net, or if space is too tight just a face veil. My favourite net is black netting with cut green over the top, it crunches up small and is light. It is easy to throw over yourself when prone, make a hide in a hedge or to hang between two trunks of a forked tree when waiting for pigeons to land or rabbits to emerge.
13 April 2014, 11:52,
If you want to "call" Roe Deer get a Buttolo Blatter call, they are very effective once you master the technique. For Wood pigeons you can call them by cupping both your hands together and blowing into the gap between your Thumbs, this also works for Dove. If you want to imitate the call of a Magpie, shake a box of loose matches. For Fox make "kissy" lips and suck air in producing a high pitched squeeling noise.