Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Urban Bug In
10 April 2014, 09:05,
RE: Urban Bug In
Containers are great for this purpose but condensation is a major concern.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
10 April 2014, 09:19,
I work with containers full of clothes everyday and they don't get wet. They have a plastic film stuck to the sides of them to keep the clothes clean and any condensation forms behind this and away from the clothing. Condensation could be an issue if you keep opening the container but the plan would be to only do that once or twice a year.
“In the long history of humankind those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed” Charles Darwin
10 April 2014, 09:36,
if you could stabilise there temperature by burying them even partially would be quite a big help.
10 April 2014, 16:03,
Burying containers is a big no no. The wooden floor would rot out real quick. The steel would rust real quick, and if the sides were not reinforced they would collapse in too.

The strength of containers is in the corner posts. Support the corners on slabs or a concrete pad/pile and make sure there is an air gap between the bottom of the container and the ground. Your container will last much longer that way. I would put mine on piles, excavate a crawl space/fox hole underneath, and use it as an OP.
“In the long history of humankind those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed” Charles Darwin
10 April 2014, 16:48,
I would have it up on blocks for a couple weeks so I could paint/treat it in a similar way to narrow boats , then when its been fully treated sealed I would drop it back on the floor set it with a 2% slope back to front and then build earth walls all around it covering the roof in a thin layer off earth just enough for plants/weeds/grass to take....making sure its an irregular shape and then I'd be looking to screen it with some conifers....insulated camouflaged and well hidden from above....I would expect to get 35 to 50 years out of that....am at work looking out the window at a 20 ft iso container right now that I've been told I can have if I can move it.