Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Reality (of) TV Bushcraft/Survival
11 April 2014, 15:18,
RE: Reality (of) TV Bushcraft/Survival
Les Stroud, Major Hiddins (The Bush tucker man) John Wiseman and of course Eddie Mcgee ( I did three of his courses way back when) they have skill levels to admire. Mears and Grylls are just adventurers.

11 April 2014, 15:22,
sorry NR, cant agree with you about Ray Mears, I have watched him progress from a minor role in the "Tracks" programme years ago, to a fully fledged outdoorsman, I believe he even has his own outdoor school, where all BG's does is sell expensive kit.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 April 2014, 15:28,
(11 April 2014, 15:22)bigpaul Wrote: all BG's does is sell expensive kit.

and climb Everest, and be ex-special forces, and have his own island with a massive slide into the sea.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
11 April 2014, 15:31,
and a big head and an even bigger ego.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 April 2014, 15:41,
LOL he's pushed himself to places most of us don't even know exist!

Personally a tip my hat to people like him, I do beleive he's not a patch on RM, but i'd happily tag along with him if were lost in the woods!
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
11 April 2014, 15:45,
(11 April 2014, 15:28)Scythe13 Wrote:
(11 April 2014, 15:22)bigpaul Wrote: all BG's does is sell expensive kit.

and climb Everest, and be ex-special forces, and have his own island with a massive slide into the sea.

I dunno why some people hate him so. Jealousy maybe? Some people hate anyone who's made a decent life for themselves...

I don't think "all BG does is sell expensive kit". He was offered money to put him moniker on items made by Gerber (eventually - I'd still love one of the original BG knives) due to his "fame". Seems like a good idea to me - money, literally, for nothing.

Fact is, the blokes been trained by the best of the best, he knows his shit inside out and back to front (probably cause he's been drinking poo-juice from it)
11 April 2014, 15:45,
(11 April 2014, 15:31)bigpaul Wrote: and a big head and an even bigger ego.

What? Where did that come from?

I was leading a Scout group when I was living in Bristol, and got to meet him. Really nice guy! I will admit, I wasn't a fan of his then. After meeting him I thought he was okay as a person, but a real liability in survival situations. Over time I've warmed more to him and what he's really doing.

Don't forget, what you see on TV is not what he's like as a person. I'm sure he wouldn't be taking major risks in a real life survival situation. He just does it for the camera.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
11 April 2014, 15:48, (This post was last modified: 11 April 2014, 15:52 by bigpaul.)
(11 April 2014, 15:45)BeardyMan Wrote: Seems like a good idea to me - money, literally, for nothing.

and, you think that is news to us, some of us have known that for ages.

and there was me thinking you might have said something of interest. ok enough, i'll pop you back on my ignore list.
11 April 2014, 15:52,
BP theres no doubt Ray is skilled and has a natural aptitude towards bushcraft and wilderness survival but he is still primarily a TV adventurer, where as John wiseman rarely if ever appear on TV nore did Eddie Mgee but their legacy to bushcraft and survival was world changing.

11 April 2014, 15:52,
/\ reply of the century??? wtf??

i'd do the same as BG any day of the week, its just common sense in todays world.
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....