14 April 2014, 10:19,
RE: gun dreams
Please note, this video footage would probably be considered as GRAPHIC CONTENT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW2C3exp0R4
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
14 April 2014, 12:04,
Mortblanc, you can impugn the veracity of my statement easily because I can't prove it to you for legal reasons, I know for a fact that my statement is true, and we'll leave it at that. At close range that little round is very capable is it not? especially with expanding rounds, and Roe Der are not like Whitetails old chap.
14 April 2014, 12:36,
(14 April 2014, 12:04)Tartar Horde Wrote: Mortblanc, you can impugn the veracity of my statement easily because I can't prove it to you for legal reasons, I know for a fact that my statement is true, and we'll leave it at that. At close range that little round is very capable is it not? especially with expanding rounds, and Roe Der are not like Whitetails old chap.

Of you could just click my like to prove it's possible. Read the comments too about poachers that have been caught popping deer with .22's
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
14 April 2014, 12:37,
My .22 bolt action with a very simple maxim type moderator and using eley subsonic hollowpoints was near silent....the only noise you could hear on firing was a slight mettalic ding as the firing pin hit the edge of the case and the thump of the impact...thats gotta be good if you are trying to go about your business unnoticed.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
14 April 2014, 14:20,
Exactly Midnitemo, nothing but the noise of the hammer hitting the percussion cap, and being bolt action, quieter than a 10/22 semi for instance. One of the best poachers in East Yorks used a BRNO bolt action moderated .22, I knew him well, as did most of the local pub, and he did very well with that little round.
14 April 2014, 14:22,
as has been said after an event you are probably going to attempt to take whatever presents with whatever you have to hand out of nessescity.....a clean kill on a deer with a .22lr will be some feat...as mort says the last thing you want is to wound it and it dies some time later only to become carrion.
14 April 2014, 14:23, (This post was last modified: 14 April 2014, 14:34 by Tartar Horde.)
Before anyone jumps on my case I know a .22 doesn't have a centre fire cap, and the pin hits the edge of the casing rimTongue

I think it's a matter of range to be honest, and calling them close enough from a concealed position. I also think people tend to over estimate the size of a Roe Deer, they look bigger than they are because of their long legs and necks. The actual chest of a Roe deer is not that large and dense, the skin and ribs being quite delicate to be honest and not robust at all.
14 April 2014, 14:57,
in the uk ,the small ones don't get hunted a lot ,if you cant get within 30 yards of them then you should not be hunting ,im a big guy ,as TTH will tell you ,hang on that sounds a bit gay Big Grin but my point is if I can do it anyone can get close ,to make a good kill with a .22
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
14 April 2014, 15:18,
i'm confident it can be done with our smaller breeds......and i'm all for stalking up as close as you can , but its very small target you have to hit , lots of variables involved , .22lr not great at expanding , prone to riccochet/glancing of a deer skull.....can be done just not by everybody.
14 April 2014, 22:04,
Agreed Midnitemo shot placement has to be exact, I've always liked the .22 mag, a little bit more oomph without a loud sonic crack, not many about though.