Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gun dreams
15 April 2014, 10:33,
RE: gun dreams
(14 April 2014, 22:04)Tartar Horde Wrote: Agreed Midnitemo shot placement has to be exact, I've always liked the .22 mag, a little bit more oomph without a loud sonic crack, not many about though.

Most 22Mag ammo is well supersonic, so you will get the "crack". I seem to remember a hunting friend found some 60gr sub-sonic ammo somewhere, but it was innacurate. The best 22LR sub sonic ammo in my rifle is Winchester Super-X hollow point, it groups about 1/2" - 3/4" at 50 yds. In the field the biggest problem is reading the range and the wind accurately, a tiny difference in accuracy potential between different brands of ammo is not that significant.

I've been trying to develop a sub-sonic load for 308 but not very successfully yet, despite my rifle having a 1-10" twist.
15 April 2014, 10:53,
Is CCI blazer or Yellowjacket high velocity 22LR ammo still available ?

15 April 2014, 21:23,
(15 April 2014, 10:53)NorthernRaider Wrote: Is CCI blazer or Yellowjacket high velocity 22LR ammo still available ?

Yes, also "Stinger" which is very fast. Yellowjacket has a good reputation for accuracy, for an HV round, but none of the supersonic ammo can match the subsonic match ammo for ultimate accuracy and most are more affected by wind too.
16 April 2014, 23:18,
(15 April 2014, 10:33)Steve Wrote:
(14 April 2014, 22:04)Tartar Horde Wrote: Agreed Midnitemo shot placement has to be exact, I've always liked the .22 mag, a little bit more oomph without a loud sonic crack, not many about though.

Most 22Mag ammo is well supersonic, so you will get the "crack". I seem to remember a hunting friend found some 60gr sub-sonic ammo somewhere, but it was innacurate. The best 22LR sub sonic ammo in my rifle is Winchester Super-X hollow point, it groups about 1/2" - 3/4" at 50 yds. In the field the biggest problem is reading the range and the wind accurately, a tiny difference in accuracy potential between different brands of ammo is not that significant.

I've been trying to develop a sub-sonic load for 308 but not very successfully yet, despite my rifle having a 1-10" twist.

I did some extensive accuracy testing a couple of years back involving 10 different match grade ammunitions in one of my special purpose rifles and found that difference between brands varied from groups of 1/2"@50M to 4'@50M sometimes within the same brands. Eley Sport and Eley Match grouped wildly different, as did two levels of Midus.

My particular rifle shot SK pistol match better than any other brand and scattered Remington Gold tips around in a 4' circle.

Point of impact between brands often varied by as much as 6" even though the individual groups were reasonable.

I discovered that CCI target (also subsonic) gave me almost the same accuracy as the SK Match at half the price, so I stockpiled several thousand rounds and shoot that through almost all my .22lr guns.

I also get good results from the Fiocchi subsonic offering and keep some of that on hand.

When dealing with a subsonic load in .308 one might wish to consider bullets on the heavier side. If speed is limited then weight is the deciding factor in performance on target. The longer bearing surface and high ballistic coefficient might help stabilize in the 1/10 twist barrel.

I have one 1/9 twist barrel that will not stabilize anything less than 165 grains.
8 November 2014, 11:11,
well it's been a long time coming but today's possibly the day.....am of to do a tour round a few gunshops with the relavent paperwork in tow....wish me luck.....22lr is on the agenda.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
8 November 2014, 11:15,
Enjoy, I had decades of fun with 22LR rifles from tatty old converted SMLEs to Ruger 10/22, Marlin Papooses , Charter Arms AR7s, I still recommend the 10 /22 or the 10/22 TDR

8 November 2014, 11:19, (This post was last modified: 8 November 2014, 11:21 by Midnitemo.)
seen a 10/22 standard beech stock/screwcut for moderator for £325 local to me...this maybe my first purchase on the new ticket....can't believe I've never had one before!

also been waiting for 4 weeks for my new weihrauch in .177 to show up.....finally going to practice what I preach and change to .177.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
8 November 2014, 11:28,
well done MN .....i am still on a bloe pipe.......does that count lol
8 November 2014, 11:52,
I'm stuck with Compound bows, Air rifles, Take down bows and a catapult Smile enjoy your good fortune.

8 November 2014, 15:29, (This post was last modified: 8 November 2014, 15:32 by Mortblanc.)
A word of caution Midnitemo;

The famed 10/22 is not perfect, far from it.

Generally the trigger is crap, and risky to fool with. Trying to piddle with it for better pull does not mean it will go full auto. The way the Ruger is set up messing with the sad trigger will just cause it to fail to reset and render the gun useless.

The chamber is generally overbored to increase reliability at the sacrifice of accuracy. Most of the 10/22 chambers are bored straight through an extra 3/16" and are larger diameter than necessary.

The stock must be machined sloppy so the action will fit into the wood properly. There is no bedding. They simply remove enough wood for the s\action to go into the wood.

The action is secured in the stock by ONE screw and that is located at the front of the receiver. The action flops around in the stock and the barrel bounces around with it. In an attempt to combat this the barrel is given a bedding point at the fore end and secured to it with a barrel band.

After owning several, rebuilding and accurizing several to target quality, including the one I just sold,

I would buy a good bolt action CZ.

Hopefully the .22 is a stepping stone up to a real gun and you will not be stuck with it for long.

[Image: 003_zps41158ecf.jpg]

My last 10/22 rigged out as chicken house defense module.