RE: Return of the Wilderness, part 2
Sad but true Midnight
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

12 April 2014, 11:59,
how easy would it be to "introduce" rabbits to an new area? as a food prep in advance?
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
12 April 2014, 12:06,
Never thought of that everyone is usually more concerned with getting rid rather than promoting them,they are classed as vermin....bloody voracious they are...6 rabbits eat the same amount of grass as a sheep everyday , horses break legs in holes , fences are undermined...there pretty much universally disliked by farmers/equestrians.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
12 April 2014, 12:12,
I agree with Binnie and Lightspeed on Rabbits. As animals get larger their population density falls as compared to smaller ones eg, The amount of vegetation a cow eats can support a larger population of smaller animals. Larger animals tend to give birth to fewer offspring and have longer periods between fertility as compared to smaller ones. Rabbits are plentiful now, with better conditions, ie a collapse, then I think they will be increasing in numbers and become a handy source of meat, if you can catch them that is. Depending where you are in the country Roe Deer are very numerous. once again remove industrial agriculture and a large part of the population and they will increase, although at a slower rate than Rabbits. I have a different theory on Wood Pigeons, and I believe they might actually reduce in numbers. My reasoning being that today the Wood Pigeon population is kept unnaturally high by the amount of food they have due to crops like Rape and Peas. With an industrial collapse these crops will not be planted and so Wood Pigeons will have a much reduced food supply, and consequently nature will adjust their numbers to fit the available food.
I fear our Rivers, Ponds and Lakes will take a battering to the point of depletion. Once people work out that it is easier to net Fish than hunt with Gun or Bow it will open season on all fish, a lot of them are literally "fish in a barrel" and very easy to catch. With a decent Cast net/Gill net you can empty a pond in short time.
The core of the argument is how much damage will a dispersed urban population have on the Flora and Fauna of the UK. This is a tricky question to answer as the outcome depends on the survivability of the post urban population. We can't make assumptions as to who is likely too, and who not, because there are too many variables to ascertain any sound conclusion. For instance a fit 18 year old Male would be expected on face value to have more of a chance than a 65 year old Woman, but on closer inspection we find the young Male has no knowledge of anything to do with Fishing, Hunting etc, whereas the 65 year old Woman used to snare Rabbits with her Dad, the whole picture changes. The opposite is also true. Any impact a post urban population would have on animals is dependent on their ability to affect their numbers through killing. For anyone not familiar with field sports the learning curve isn't just steep, it's near vertical if we believe the average person is capable of resorting to hunting at the drop of a hat to feed themselves and any dependents. So the impact on game might not be as bad as some scenarios predict, with most of the population starved to death, harder to catch animals like Rabbits and Deer might fare quite well.
12 April 2014, 12:28,
When I was looking for my ferret guy I was given four different guy's to try, I did what everybody else usually does and picked the first one , he duly turned up with his extended young male family in tow father,two son's and another teenager not sure what his connection was , they set to work finding the holes blocking some placing nets on some then the ferret went down and rabbits started popping up all over the place,the rabbits that broke ground free of a net were caught by the two terrier's the ones netted were dispatched by the humans.....it was quick and exceedingly efficient and I'm sure any one of the four could have done it alone with minimal help from unskilled helpers.....I had four to choose from the guy I chose could divide his little team up into four....those rabbits in decent quantities would make that man very comfortably off in no time after an event......I'm not so sure we wont push all our game and vermin to extinction very quickly after an event.
12 April 2014, 12:42, (This post was last modified: 12 April 2014, 12:45 by NorthernRaider.)
Don't forget to add to the equation that with the fall of man as well as mass predation on wild species such as rabbits you will also need to consider the impact of
Increased numbers of foxes and raptors preying on the bunnies cos no one will be culling them
Increase in numbers of feral cats preying on the rabbits.
Increase in number of abandoned dogs like terriers preying on the rabbits.
Critters like mink, stoat, weasel, pine martin etc will increase in numbers and they to like bunny for dinner.

Dear TH you omit two types of fishing often used by unskilled and desperate people of which this country wil have plenty
(1) Dropping thunderflashes or other percussive charges into a pond stunning dozens of fish at a time thus wiping out a ponds stock of fish in one moment
(2) Pouring oil onto the surface of static water sources and waiting for the deoxygenated fish to come gasping at the surface within usually an hour or so.

Offset slightly by the inevitable increase in game birds as their would no longer be a mass slaughter every August
Hopefully enough survivalists will raid chook farms and breed / release chooks into the wild.

A well stocked pond is going to need 24/7 protection by the preppers.

As one or two of our colonial cousins mentioned many years ago in some places the survivalists ( as we were called back then) would ideally / need to keep and breed fish , game birds like pigeon and rabbits in secure locations to allow them to RESTOCK local areas after the devastation has passed.

12 April 2014, 12:50,
Good point NR, there are many other ways of catching fish such as the ones you mention, which adds to my point about our water resources taking a heavy beating due to the ease of "fishing" as to hunting. Look at all those ornamental ponds full of fat carp, it's a bowfishers wet dream, oooh the slime.
Can you really buy Thunderflashes!!!!
OOOOh I hope it's not true, what have you gone and done to me.
can they be attached to ARROWSAngel
12 April 2014, 12:56,
Just add any noxious chemical to the water to deoxygenate it or to cover the surface to prevent oxygen transfer tween air and water, no noise no give away.

12 April 2014, 12:59,
Everything lunches out on roger wabbit....that's why he's such a jumpy creature.
12 April 2014, 13:11,
A natural way to stun fish is to use our Common weed Petty Spurge/Euphorbia Peplus
Mash up with water and add to pond, no doubts our Stone Age ancestors knew about this.
DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK, DO NOT MASH WITH HANDS, USE A STICK. DO NOT GET INTO ANY CUTS OR BROKEN SKIN. I can't believe I got paid to learn this shitBig Grin