Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pratice makes tired eyes
14 April 2014, 11:03,
Pratice makes tired eyes
This weekend saw me and the wife lay in the back garden on towels for a few hours, shooting down the garden with one of the air rifles, while the other was being spotter and calling the wind, direction, strength, and where the shots went...and also correcting each other's form. Really we were just zeroing on a scope and having a bit of fun together.

For the first time in history I have managed to score better than my wife! HAPPY DAYS!!!

Well, this is the really surprising part.

We went through around 350 pellets combined, we both found that having one eye closed for so long in the course of a few hours, that we really got 'eye-tired'. Weird hu?

I've started practicing shooting with both eyes open, but it's difficult to see clearly enough as to whether there is any scope shadow or not. Also tried shooting left handed and using the scope with my left eye.

The wife got bored of it and didn't like taking prone shots. She would prefer to take seated shots.

How have you found marathon shooting sessions? Have you got any tips on how to make prolonged periods of scope work easier?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
14 April 2014, 12:01,
RE: Pratice makes tired eyes
Given how sunny and warm it was over the weekend, I wonder if this was "partly" due to bright sunlight??
14 April 2014, 12:40,
(14 April 2014, 12:01)Devonian Wrote: Given how sunny and warm it was over the weekend, I wonder if this was "partly" due to bright sunlight??

I did think that, but I was using a yellow filter. I have always preferred the yellow tint, even as a kid, for sunglasses. Never had a problem with it in the past. I thought yellow tints were cool before Ali G made them 'cool' (imagine the flack I got wearing them when he was big! Not good). Never had a problem with them. The wife was wearing her sunnies when she wasn't spotting.

It was literally an eye-ache. Like muscular soreness.
14 April 2014, 13:34,
Check and see if your sunglasses are 'Polarising' sunglasses, they are highly recommended for Fishermen because of the reflection off the water, so may also benefit you in this situation as well by reducing glare

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarizing_...otography)

Or get a scope with polarised lens
14 April 2014, 14:18,
(14 April 2014, 13:34)Devonian Wrote: Or get a scope with polarised lens

Got that.

I could see fine if I kept both eyes open, or I just covered the left eye with my hand, but still kept it open. When I was like that, I could see fine through the scope.

It really just felt like eye ache from closing one eye for so long. Really weird.
14 April 2014, 14:43,
OK fair enough Big Grin
14 April 2014, 15:23,
its a bit of a marathon shooting session there s13 , bit like shooting the "1500" comp.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
14 April 2014, 16:01,
(14 April 2014, 15:23)Midnitemo Wrote: its a bit of a marathon shooting session there s13 , bit like shooting the "1500" comp.

I'm hoping it gets easier with time. Kind of like a workout.
14 April 2014, 16:10,
I think you may have just discovered why target shooters use a patch. Most use what can be loosely called glasses with a blinder to cover the resting eye. A bit like these...

http://www.edinkillie.co.uk/ecatalog/cha...p-122.html

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
14 April 2014, 16:26, (This post was last modified: 14 April 2014, 16:26 by Scythe13.)
(14 April 2014, 16:10)TOF Wrote: I think you may have just discovered why target shooters use a patch. Most use what can be loosely called glasses with a blinder to cover the resting eye. A bit like these...

http://www.edinkillie.co.uk/ecatalog/cha...p-122.html

LEGEND!!! Thank you TOF!!!

WOO!!! I get to be a real pirate with an eye patch! haha