Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crop Protection
15 April 2014, 12:48,
Crop Protection
This is a very odd view point, but still well worth noting.

When you plant out new seeds, the birds will try and get an easy meal.

Now it's time to turn the tables.

Firstly, you'll want to scare off the critters, whether mice or bird, so a scarecrow might be a good place to start there. However, there is always the option of trapping, as a way to capture small game or birds.

Okay, there is also the air rifle option, but that is a bit time consuming really.

The main thing is to protect the seeds in their early stages. If you want, you can couple this with a small meaty meal, captured a la snare or similar.

Just a quick thought about how to turn a bad situation (pests ruining your crops) into a positive...easy meat and trapping practice!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
15 April 2014, 13:14,
RE: Crop Protection
have you ever thought of old(small) plastic bottles on a stake, or strips of silver foil, anything that flashes or moves in the breeze can frighten a bird, for a mouse get some cheap mouse traps(plenty on ebay) and bait them up.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
15 April 2014, 13:27,
(15 April 2014, 13:14)bigpaul Wrote: have you ever thought of old(small) plastic bottles on a stake, or strips of silver foil, anything that flashes or moves in the breeze can frighten a bird, for a mouse get some cheap mouse traps(plenty on ebay) and bait them up.

I like to use good old covers, like fleece or thin mesh. But they are also good ideas.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
15 April 2014, 13:33,
Bloody cats crapping in my garden is the biggest problem I have in this respect!!

Don't think the neighbours would too happy if I got the air gun out, but still the dogs have great fun chasing them off.
15 April 2014, 13:41,
at home we used to use a catapult and a "clod" of earth, dosent hurt them but sure gives them a shock!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
16 April 2014, 13:01,
I use the opposite approach of actually providing food for birds. Trying to protect your crops by scaring them off or shooting etc is a waste of effort as you can't protect them all day long, and the birds will win. If you provide food and water the birds will eat that instead of your crops, they also provide a useful service by taking the odd insect. Cats are a problem though especially if you have nicely tilled soil, they think it is a litter tray, I prefer a good old catty for naughty cats.
16 April 2014, 15:18,
havent had problems with birds eating the seed, but they do eat some of the budding fruits. Tried a realistic plastic snake in the peach tree, had no noticable effect on the birds. So I collected those plastic nets they wrap Christmas trees in and used those to screen the peach tree. There was a tree lot right on my to work, so I'd just stop by the dumpster and take whatever netting was thrown out.

in a survival situation, all those birds are free protein from the sky.
16 April 2014, 19:12,
I've started some of my seeds from my garden in a can thingy in the greenhouse to prevent them from being dug up and eaten. The next thing to do will be to protect them with mini closhes (water bottles cut in half) or shiny things. This will be coupled with netting and mesh to keep the critters away, as well as waging geurilla warfare with the local population of rabbits and pigeons.

Check you local fly-tipping and dump sites guys, not only have I found heaps of chicken wire, but also firewood, a brand new Norwich city council jacked (Now washed, you never can tell, I can go anywhere wearing this!) as well as broken lawnmowers and broken lawn furniture!
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8