Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introduction to Optics
14 April 2014, 22:54,
RE: Introduction to Optics
When it comes to optics good glass doesn't come cheap, and to make a lens with the absolute minimum of abberation and crispness to the the edge is costly. That doesn't mean those lower priced optics aren't any good, it's just a matter of refinement. There are thousands of shooter out there who use optics in the £100-150 price range, such makers as Hawke for instance. When you get deeper into the sport and understand it a bit more you will naturally want better equipment, and more importantly be able to appreciate it. When you look through a top end optic like Leupold, Bausch & Lomb, Doctor optics you will see a difference in clarity and sharpness, these top end lens are sharp to the edges where cheaper ones aren't. It's like cars, a Fiesta will get you to town, but a Jag will do it betterBig Grin
15 April 2014, 21:52,
I'll just add, don't be afraid to buy used optics, as long as they aren't mechanically damaged older optics are usually just as good as new models. I'm not talking about "vintage", but quality optics up to about 15 years old will be multi-coated and work very well. I bought two used Leupolds for £300 each, that sell for £850 each new. There are cheaper scopes that punch above their price - the Bushnell Legend for example.

Quality optics are a good investment, but I'm no brand snob, I bought a pair of Hawke 8x56 binoculars ( end of line sale ) that are superb, very close to the best I've used and only £80. Bargain.
16 April 2014, 02:01,
I recently purchased online, a set of used, WW2-era, former Swedish Army binoculars, made in 1942. They are Carl Zeiss, Jena, 6x30mm roof prism binoculars with individual focus. These were described as C- condition, and cost a little over $100US, complete with leather case. The condition downgrade was only for exterior finish wear where the brass casing shows through at sharp corners where the black crinkle-finish enamel has worn through. The optics are clear and sharp and there are only a few internal dust particles visible. The artillery ranging reticle is sharp and clear and the anti-reflection coating is undamaged. The body has arsenal inspection decals which indicates thatthese were re-ollimated, adjusted and passed by CVM in March of 1977. They were a great buy from Deutche Optik.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA