Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum Project - Solar Shower
15 April 2014, 13:54,
Forum Project - Solar Shower
Okay everyone. I'm looking to run a quick forum wide project with this one.

I'm assuming that many of us have solar showers. Loads of festival goes have them, so you probably should too...don't want to be out-prepped by a hippie!

The project is simple enough. Over the next week, try to find a day to set up the solar shower, and record the temperature you get the water to. Simple hu?

It really is that easy.

Record the time you put the shower out, and the time you bring the water back in. I'll then compile all the results and use that to give other members an idea of what they can really expect from their solar showers.

Also, it gives a good bit of fun knowing you've heated that water up yourself. Best of all...it's a free shower, so will cut your energy bills too!

What's not to like about this experiment?

So, please post your results below, in this format:

Shower Make:
Weather:
Amount of Water:
Time Put Out:
Time Taken In:
Time Used:
Temp of Water when used:
Notes: [include date in this part]

So, as an example (please note, it's just an example and not based on real figures)

Shower Make: Unknown. Cheap off the market, £4.50
Weather: Overcase
Amount of Water: 30 Litres (it could have taken 40, but I was being lazy)
Time Put Out: 9am
Time Taken In: 4pm
Time Used: 4.30pm
Temp of water when used: 35 degrees
Notes: [15/04/2013] The day was overcase, but was brilliantly sunny over lunch time. Had a mirror under the shower to add extra heat and maintain temp. Shower was placed on the ground in the garden.

I hope you all enjoy this experiment. The results will be appreciated and hopefully we'll find a way to make the most of our solar showers.

On a VITAL NOTE! Don't comment about how to make the showers more effective. If you do I'll be asking SD to remove the post and I'll be giving you a -1 rating for not reading the whole post. Please start a seperate thread about that stuff, if you want to discuss that.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
15 April 2014, 14:24,
RE: Forum Project - Solar Shower
You mean you can put a mirror under yours but we can not put ours in the solar oven?
15 April 2014, 14:29,
What? MB, you can put yours into a solar oven, but please read this part of the post above....On a VITAL NOTE! Don't comment about how to make the showers more effective. If you do I'll be asking SD to remove the post and I'll be giving you a -1 rating for not reading the whole post. Please start a seperate thread about that stuff, if you want to discuss that.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
15 April 2014, 18:33, (This post was last modified: 15 April 2014, 18:55 by Rush2112.)
i used mine years ago, sorry didnt make detailed notes. Never used again and sold at yard sale. The temperature was ok after being in the south florida sun, but the pressure and volume of water were severely lacking. That is my review of the crappy black plastic bag with a hose a/k/a solar shower that I used. It was a cheap one as described by the OP.

your results may vary
16 April 2014, 17:02,
I'm not part of this thread but thought some folks may be interested in this.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...-road.html