Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to pass on the need to survive !
3 January 2012, 16:17,
RE: How to pass on the need to survive !
(3 January 2012, 16:08)NorthernRaider Wrote: You can get both metal and plastic shutters now that look just like wood, obvuisly the metal ones are more secure but the plastic ones are light and dont need painting so you could in theory bolt some steel sheeting over the plastic ones ?
it was just a passing thought, i dont think H.A. would agree to it-in fact i know they wouldnt but could be something to keep in the garage until TSHTF but i'd much rather win the lottery and move to a cottage we know, out in the middle of nowhere!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 January 2012, 00:22,
Dig down, Dig deep, Do what you can do. We ALL must surely have to rise to the occasion ?. Even them who aren't in the business of S.A.S. (self assessment survival). I mean, seriously, are you going to lie down and die like a dog (LDADLAD)......?.!.?
You have to get up early to catch a fox.
4 January 2012, 11:59,
(3 January 2012, 14:39)NorthernRaider Wrote: Get the sitex and then get the local car fixer with a mig welder to fasten some flat brackets to the sitex so so can bolt it to the wall over the window without damaging the glass. Some sitex comes that way anyway. the rest is normally fitted with webbing straps so it can be taken down quickly. But honestly its Oh so easy to mod sitex so you can bolt it to your walls. Indeed you can get it set up in advance by having the bolts fitted now sticking out of the brickwork 13mm wide by about 25 mm long so just just have to life the panel into place then puts nuts and washers on. If you use razor wire it has to be mounted over 2 meters from the ground and you have to fit a warning sign by law ( fortunately they dont specify the size of the warning notice so it can be tiny) and dont forget to smear the wire with dog muck.
What about your wifey having fun by planting vicous thorny plants around the edge of your garden, works much better than razor wire and takes much less maintenance ?

NR,

That is what I have been planning. Sheet metal for every windows with brackets already installed. Can be fitted by two in minutes, details on the main site somewhere.

Only concern is that it makes the place look interesting.

Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
4 January 2012, 13:00,
(4 January 2012, 11:59)Skean Dhude Wrote:
(3 January 2012, 14:39)NorthernRaider Wrote: Get the sitex and then get the local car fixer with a mig welder to fasten some flat brackets to the sitex so so can bolt it to the wall over the window without damaging the glass. Some sitex comes that way anyway. the rest is normally fitted with webbing straps so it can be taken down quickly. But honestly its Oh so easy to mod sitex so you can bolt it to your walls. Indeed you can get it set up in advance by having the bolts fitted now sticking out of the brickwork 13mm wide by about 25 mm long so just just have to life the panel into place then puts nuts and washers on. If you use razor wire it has to be mounted over 2 meters from the ground and you have to fit a warning sign by law ( fortunately they dont specify the size of the warning notice so it can be tiny) and dont forget to smear the wire with dog muck.
What about your wifey having fun by planting vicous thorny plants around the edge of your garden, works much better than razor wire and takes much less maintenance ?

NR,

That is what I have been planning. Sheet metal for every windows with brackets already installed. Can be fitted by two in minutes, details on the main site somewhere.

Only concern is that it makes the place look interesting.

It may looking interesting now to scallies and thieves looking for stuff to nick, but it may look just to secure or to much like hard work for tired, weak, stressed scavengers and they may look elsewhere.
One point I dont think we have adressed enough or explored is just how willing sheeple will be to risk violence or injury when they are already vulnerable, I think at worst its a 50 / 50 bet that most will decide that mini fortress may not be worth attacking just for a meal. Of course there are going to be some who equally think " that house must have something worthwhile to protect" but when the first of their group goes down with a new hole in his body they will at least consider it to risky for now and move on.

I personally have no time for the school of thought that suggests survivors should just be nomadic hunter gatherers, that may work for a while for a few fit young unaccompanied men, but most people will soon seek security and stability of a fixed base. The best comprimise I can come up with for people who think fixed secure retreats will only ever be constantly attacked is if they feel that way then ensure everything is prepacked and portable so you can load up quickly and move away if your home becomes unsustainable.

I feel that a decent well thought out preppers home is 90% the way ( for me at least) with its fuel stores, veg gardens, wood stoves, familiarity, but to ensure it remains that way after TSHTF active patrolling is a must and if neccessary engaging scavengers BEFORE they discover your home is probably going to be neccessary.

4 January 2012, 13:00,
For my council they paint derelict properties in a terracotta red colour, BUT for properties that are vacant awaiting a tennant they put the perforated metal mesh up, Is that sitex I dont know the trade name, with "DD" in capitals fairly large also means deralict and a notice on it in A4 stating all valuables have been removed etc keeps the thieves out from robbing the boilers etc..But they DO remove the boilers AND flue pipes so you'd have to do the same if you wanted it to look boarded up by the council etc...
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
4 January 2012, 13:23,
(4 January 2012, 13:00)NorthernRaider Wrote: It may looking interesting now to scallies and thieves looking for stuff to nick, but it may look just to secure or to much like hard work for tired, weak, stressed scavengers and they may look elsewhere.
One point I dont think we have adressed enough or explored is just how willing sheeple will be to risk violence or injury when they are already vulnerable, I think at worst its a 50 / 50 bet that most will decide that mini fortress may not be worth attacking just for a meal. Of course there are going to be some who equally think " that house must have something worthwhile to protect" but when the first of their group goes down with a new hole in his body they will at least consider it to risky for now and move on.

When there is no food the risk becomes worth it. If there are enough they overwhelme your defences. OPSEC is more than just keeping mum.
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
4 January 2012, 14:02,
Various options there,
A RUN AWAY
B STAND AND FIGHT
C THREATEN TO DESTROY ALL THE FOOD
D PUT A ROUND THROUGH THEIR LEADERS HEAD
At the end of the day it all comes down to who is willing to take the most casulaties for the least gain, and he who holds the defensive position usually has the upper hand especially in a siege position when the opposition is already starving. How many of the bad guys are willing to die knowing the chances are the last survivor in the retreat is burning or poisoning the food?

4 January 2012, 14:32,
If you run they get what they want.
If you stand and fight you risk being overwhelmed.
If you destroy all the food you starve too
If you shoot the leaders they may disperse and come back later when you are unprepared.

All these are risks anyway that we need to cover. My personal view is have multiple caches, run away unless you are 100% sure you can take them. Live to fight another day. Attrition is not your friend in any fight.
Skean Dhude
4 January 2012, 14:56,
We must not keep all our preps in one place; this is very hard on large enough scale to achieve, easier said than done an all that.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
4 January 2012, 15:04,

If you run they get what they want.

Not if you take it with you

If you stand and fight you risk being overwhelmed.

And they risk unsustainable casulaties

If you destroy all the food you starve too
No you have a full belly and a full rucksack, they are already starving,

If you shoot the leaders they may disperse and come back later when you are unprepared.

Leave some grub for them to find laced with rat poison, strycnine or paracetamol, let em enjoy one last meal.

All these are risks anyway that we need to cover. My personal view is have multiple caches, run away unless you are 100% sure you can take them. Live to fight another day. Attrition is not your friend in any fight.

Yup thats why I have my home, caches and various BOLs around here, but my main effort is sustaining my home first, Its well off the beaten track, its unappealing , its very secure, easy to defend, and offers multiple BO routes in all directions.