Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to pass on the need to survive !
2 January 2012, 01:56,
How to pass on the need to survive !
Hi there all. Feel a bit shy (new bee)

Question!

How do we convince/make aware those others who we love/care for/extended family/community of the need to get ready?

I mean, we can berely sustain our own little lives.

RIGHT?.

Why have we become so insular?

"I will live.I will make sure my children survive."

How do we tell our friends/neighbours to duck off and fry ?

Sorry but I have to ask.
You have to get up early to catch a fox.
2 January 2012, 02:16, (This post was last modified: 2 January 2012, 02:17 by mikebratcher69.)
RE: How to pass on the need to survive !
Depends if they're willing to listen, if they are you can educate them, if not your flogging a dead horse.
Some people are survival minded, others are of a materialistic can't manage without my prada shoes type.
Prepping and survivalism in general attracts ridicule from people, I dont know why as in the old days people grew there own food or prepared for times without and that was seen as the right thing to do, now its the opposite.
I have a theory that its psychological effect called transference and the no blame game.
Transference is for example if somebody meets you and has a dislike for you for no real reason, rather than face up to the fact they're wrong they blame you for it, hense the tranfer of blame to you, and its your fault they dont like you, not theirs because they're such a nice person. Aparently most humans dont like admitting they're wrong you see, they make any excuse rather than admit it. So I think its the same for the ridicule of the prepper or the survivalist, deep down on a primative level in their subconcious, sheeple know they should be prepping too, but because they're not and feel guilty or inadequte or whatever, its your fault, so they blame you, laugh etc...
One last thing dont tell ANYBODY about your preps, family included unles they can keep a secret, youd be amazed how quickly rumours spread, and how many people then even though they may ridicule you in public make note of your preps in case they need them later.
Humans are inherantly lazy and if they can take another preppers hard worked for stuff they will.
Oh and Welcome !!! glad your here!!!
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
2 January 2012, 02:34,
Very many thanks. I understand that weakness because I see my own weakness. Shush. That's what I keep telling my kids, but they keep blabbing. I see the inherent instinct to reach out don't you?
I do have a switch.
If I must I will flick it!

HELP !
2 January 2012, 06:22,
Welcome Jodansgang, Glad to have you aboard. You have to keep trying to convince people. Approach the subject tentatively at first and note the response. If the person's response is good then move forward in slow steps. Kenneth Eames.
2 January 2012, 10:49,
i tend to keep very quiet about my preps in non prepping circles, better to keep quiet and not tell anyone than have it taken off you by the local thug when the chips are down, immediate family are a waste of time, step daughter and family are heavily in debt and yet still live for their foreign holidays and branded "stuff", sister in law thinks when TSHTF she is going to share with the neighbours and vice versa (some hope), so i keep shtum what people dont know they cant blab about.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
2 January 2012, 12:14,
Protect yourself and your family and if they're willing to be protected, friends and neighbors if they're willing and able and the same as you a prepper, if not, take care dont expose you and who your protecting as a potential target when shtf happens.
Trust me when I say that those people that ridicule you now will be banging on your door for your food when shtf, and if they cant take it by forse they may gang up and try or report you to authorities that can.
Take care and long may you prep.
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
2 January 2012, 12:18,
Thank you very much big Paul, Mr Eames and mikebratcher for your insight and kind words. We have, as a family, being preparing ourselves for the SHTF situation, on a completely subconscious level. For example, this last year we have familiarised ourselves with the location of all edible fruits and nuts within a 1 mile radias of our home-experimenting with jams, preserves and of course Gogo Juice ! We have started to stock up on tinned supplies and dried food (incase of redundancy)We go camping quite often and this last year we experimented with "free" camping and met some very interesting people along the way. For Christmas we started our first of 5 B.O.B's. and thus I now find myself on this forum....thank God.! I do very much understand the need to protect my loved ones and of course I put them first. However I find myself strangely at odds when I contemplate the go away and die someplace else attitude I must adopt in order to protect my own? I'm an ordinary man with Christian family values, love thy neighbour being one of them. I feel I have much work still to do and I believe the place to start is deep down inside me ?
2 January 2012, 12:29,
(2 January 2012, 12:18)Jodansgang Wrote: However I find myself strangely at odds when I contemplate the go away and die someplace else attitude I must adopt in order to protect my own? I'm an ordinary man with Christian family values, love thy neighbour being one of them.

the trouble is not everyone is on your wavelength, in these modern times there are plenty of people who want to do others harm, as we have seen by the stabbings and shootings just over Christmas, and dont forget what happened in the recent riots.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
2 January 2012, 12:36,
I fear I am in the minority. Life is going to be very difficult isn't it?
2 January 2012, 12:43,
Jodansgang,

This site is set up to spread the word and help those that are interested. I usually suggest you talk about the economy and point out where it may lead to people individually. If they respond with Tin Foil Hat or nutter then ignore them. If they start saying Didn't think of that then point them to this site. If they visit and start to prepare then you have done what you can.

OPSEC (Operational Security) is a big issue for everyone not just you. People will kill to live and if you have supplies and they don't you will be the one they will need to kill to get it. Hide it, relocate it and most importantly don't talk about it. Your family needs to do the same. If they keep blabbing then stop telling them where stuff is and make the point that it is important to you that they keep quiet. This part is not easy.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin