Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to pass on the need to survive !
3 January 2012, 14:14, (This post was last modified: 3 January 2012, 14:16 by mikebratcher69.)
RE: How to pass on the need to survive !
well my other halfs abit like that, shes got in with the jehovas lot.. and since then I've noticed a sharp decline ridicule from her end shall we say... I'm not letting it bother me, I just keep on prepping just dont involve her much. Just tell her its your hobby, like camping or something like that tell her it'll keep you busy and quiet out of her hair, you know the type of thing she wants to hear...
My other half can piss off to the kingdom hall and let jehova save her come shtf, just me a and the kids at home, each to there own...
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
3 January 2012, 14:21, (This post was last modified: 3 January 2012, 14:30 by NorthernRaider.)
(3 January 2012, 14:03)Jodansgang Wrote: Trying to scrounge 15sq meters of breeze blocks at the moment. Plan is to block up downstairs windows and door when SHTF. Living less than 1 mile out of a major northern city centre I think maybe we might be a bit vulnerable to let's say prying eyes. AM I GOING MAD ? The wife thinks so.

Takes to long to set and shatters to easily, try getting some wind sized DIY steel and wood laminates, IE sheet of 2 mm steel bond it it 1/2 marine ply, and another layer of 2mm sheet steel on tother side.
or if really skint just use hi impact self adhesive laminating film to re-enforce the glass. My mate found some SITEX window shutters used by the local council to board up empty houses with, he has them hidden away in his shed.
BTW for those of you with UPVC double glazed doors you need to do some DIY re-enforcing as well, just as the old timber panneled doors of old todays UPVC doors have deliberately weakened bottom panel fittings so firemen can smash a way in easily. Trouble is cops, chavs and thieves can also kick their way in. Ensure the door frames are screwed or preferably BOLTED into solid masonry, ensure that the instakllers have fitted all the locks and screws to your door, many leave some out as an economy measure. Some modern UPVC doors are fitted with hinges designed to break under load again supposedly for the benefit of rescuers, Uprate your hinge side of the door as well as the lock side. And ensure you have some secondary method of re-enforcing the inside off the bottom panel to stop it being kicked in. could be crossbars you fit during a crisis, or something that physically blocks the panel from being pushed backwards like a floor mounted security post.

3 January 2012, 14:32,
Can probably put my hands on some sitex windows "bell isle curtains" but you have to knock the glass out don't you? Skint is now my middle name and skinting is one of my favourite pastimes. I know blocks are soft and take a while to dry out but they go up quick and store easy outside. Might just buy me some time. Want some razor wire too. My wife's keen but she has these rose tinted glasses on, thinks more about turning the garden into tescos, than protection. I live on a council estate! You tell me!
You have to get up early to catch a fox.
3 January 2012, 14:39, (This post was last modified: 3 January 2012, 14:42 by NorthernRaider.)
(3 January 2012, 14:32)Jodansgang Wrote: Can probably put my hands on some sitex windows "bell isle curtains" but you have to knock the glass out don't you? Skint is now my middle name and skinting is one of my favourite pastimes. I know blocks are soft and take a while to dry out but they go up quick and store easy outside. Might just buy me some time. Want some razor wire too. My wife's keen but she has these rose tinted glasses on, thinks more about turning the garden into tescos, than protection. I live on a council estate! You tell me!

Get the sitex and then get the local car fixer with a mig welder to fasten some flat brackets to the sitex so so can bolt it to the wall over the window without damaging the glass. Some sitex comes that way anyway. the rest is normally fitted with webbing straps so it can be taken down quickly. But honestly its Oh so easy to mod sitex so you can bolt it to your walls. Indeed you can get it set up in advance by having the bolts fitted now sticking out of the brickwork 13mm wide by about 25 mm long so just just have to life the panel into place then puts nuts and washers on. If you use razor wire it has to be mounted over 2 meters from the ground and you have to fit a warning sign by law ( fortunately they dont specify the size of the warning notice so it can be tiny) and dont forget to smear the wire with dog muck.
What about your wifey having fun by planting vicous thorny plants around the edge of your garden, works much better than razor wire and takes much less maintenance ?
Natural Protection/Defensive Planting

Using naturally vicious plants to protect your garden perimeter is one of the best low maintenance long term projects you can adopt as a prepper, even apartment dwellers can train thorny plants around the edge of the balcony if you have a balcony of course.

A barrier of prickly hedge may be all the protection you need around your property. Here are some suggestions for plants to use.
o Creeping Juniper Juniperis horizontalis 'Wiltonii' - Also known as 'Blue Rug' because it has long branches and its prostrate shape forms a flattened blue carpet. It has a thorny stem and foliage.
o Blue Spruce Picea pungens 'Globosa' - Rigid branches, irregular dense blue, spiky needles. Height 1-1.25m x 75cm - 1 m. Slow growing. Moist rich soil.
o Common Holly Ilex agulfolium - Large evergreen shrub, dark green spiked leaves. Large red berries on female plants only. Any well drained soil. Plant with garden compost and bone-meal.
o Giant Rhubarb Gunnera manicata - Giant rhubarb-like leaves on erect stems, abrasive foliage. Can grow up to 2.5m high. Plant by water-side for effect.
o Golden Bamboo Phyllostachys aurea - Very graceful, forming thick clumps of up to 3.5m high. Less invasive than other bamboos. Hardy. Young shoots in spring.
o Chinese Jujube Zizyphus sativa - Medium sized tree with very spiny pendulous branches. Leaves glossy bright green. Bears clusters of small yellow flowers.
o Firethorn Pyracantha 'Orange Glow' - Flowers white in June, with bright orange-red berries. Thorny stem. Height 10-15ft. Suitable for north or east-facing wall or as impenetrable hedging.
o Shrub Rose Rosa 'Frau Dagmar Hastrup' - Excellent ground cover, pale pink flowers, very thorny stem. May to September. Plant with garden compost and bone-meal.
o Pencil Christmas Tree Picea abias 'Cupressina' - Medium-sized tree of columnar habit, with ascending spiky branches. Attractive form with dense growth. Avoid dry chalky soils.
o Juniper Juniperus x media 'Old Gold' - Evergreen. Golden-tipped foliage. Prickly foliage. Height 2ft. Spread 6ft. Low growing. Excellent ground cover.
o Purple Berberis Berberis thunbergil 'Atropurpurea' - Rich purple foliage. Thorny stem. Medium-sized deciduous. Any soil sunny position.
o Mountain Pine Pinus mugo 'Mughus' - A very hardy, large shrub or small tree, with long sharp needles, of dense, bushy habit. Leaves in pairs, 3 - 4cm long, rigid and curved, dark green, cone.
o Blue Pine Picea pungens 'Hoopsii' - Small to medium-sized tree, spiky needled stem, densely conical habit, with vividly glaucous blue leaves. Likes moist, rich soil.
o Oleaster Elaeagnus angustifolia - Small deciduous tree, about 4.5 to 6 m (15 to 20 feet) high. Smooth, dark brown branches that often bear spines and narrow, light green leaves that are silvery on the undersides. The flowers are small, greenish, fragrant, and silvery-scaled on the outside, as are the edible, olive-shaped, yellowish fruits, which are sweet but mealy. Hardy, wind resistant, tolerant of poor, dry sites, and thus useful in windbreak hedges.
o Blackthorn Prunus spinosa - Also called Sloe; spiny shrub. Usually grows less than 3.6 metres (12 feet) tall and has numerous, small leaves. Its dense growth makes it suitable for hedges. White flowers. Bluish-black fruit is used to flavour sloe gin.
In addition, the following thorny plants can also be considered:
Aralia, Chaenomeles, Colletia, Crataegus (including hawthorn/may), Hippophae (sea buckthorn), Maclura, Mahonia, Oplopanax, Osmanthus, Poncirus, Rhamnus, Rosa (climbing & shrub roses), Rubus (bramble), Smilax, Prickly ash(Zanthoxylum).
Although they will take some time to grow in the end you will have a very tough self repairing vicious perimeter defence

Narrative is by NR, plant list from a crime prevention leaflet I had laying around for years.

3 January 2012, 14:54,
In order to get the sitex I have to trade off with the father in law, he wants his house rewireing and so the sitex would be part payment as such, but it's a love job if you know what I mean? Love the idea of natural defences, perversely enjoy the idea more of razor wire and poo. In all honesty I am thinking more about the art of deception against available space situation I face here. Keep the wire coiled up and stored in the out house for if and when. Keep the blocks out front in a pile for if and when. None of the neighbours see change. If I have time when SHTF then wallop, fairly instant makeshift defence.
3 January 2012, 15:12,
Just remember what keeps them out keeps you in.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
3 January 2012, 15:19,
Upstairs back window gives us a good vantage point and my small lightweight trippal rung ladders would be brought inside. Fire is the biggest worry for me.
3 January 2012, 15:23,
(3 January 2012, 15:12)WetandCold Wrote: Just remember what keeps them out keeps you in.

Good point, which of us was it who planned to brick up a window or passage way with cement blocks 9 not cinder blocks) and he cut em with a stihl saw so they were slightly wedge shaped, IE when the wall was up if you pushed or hammered from the outside the tapered shape of the blocks tightens up, but if on the inside a swift whack with a hammer drives the tapered or wedged shape blocks out so you can escape?

3 January 2012, 15:54,
if we owned our own home(we rent) i would like to go for wooden shutters on the outside of the glass, maybe with firing ports in them??Tongue
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 January 2012, 16:08,
(3 January 2012, 15:54)bigpaul Wrote: if we owned our own home(we rent) i would like to go for wooden shutters on the outside of the glass, maybe with firing ports in them??Tongue

You can get both metal and plastic shutters now that look just like wood, obvuisly the metal ones are more secure but the plastic ones are light and dont need painting so you could in theory bolt some steel sheeting over the plastic ones ?