Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Orange Squash Storage
16 April 2014, 13:02,
Orange Squash Storage
Really quick question.

Does anyone have any data about how well Orange Juice concentrate stores?

My usual drink is water. Maybe I'll have tea or coffee, or a STARBUCKS!!! HELL YEAH!!!! Sorry, off topic. But I just had a thought, now and again, like when I get back from a run, it's brilliant to have a little orange squash.

Post SHTF, now and again, it'll be good to get a little change away from just water. Yes there are teas, coffees and the alike, sachets and stuff like that. I don't care about them really. I've got my fill (so to speak).

But does anyone know how well, and how long, you can store Orange Juice Concentrate for?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
16 April 2014, 16:01,
RE: Orange Squash Storage
You've confused me, (it's not difficult!) Do you mean pure ornage juice concentrate, or orange squash as in Robinsons diltute to taste?

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
16 April 2014, 16:11, (This post was last modified: 16 April 2014, 16:11 by Scythe13.)
(16 April 2014, 16:01)TOF Wrote: You've confused me, (it's not difficult!) Do you mean pure ornage juice concentrate, or orange squash as in Robinsons diltute to taste?

The Robinson's type.

Haha, I just reread my original post! Fun with dyslexia.
17 April 2014, 01:46,
Hello, Scythe13,

I'm storing fruit juice too - for exactly the reasons you mentioned. It's not water, but it makes water go further, and it's really good for morale to have a change and the sense of a 'treat'.

Concentrated orange squash of the Robinson type only keeps (officially) for a year, and I've known it form a thick orange scum on the top about a month or so after that. There's a table of Robinson's drinks here, and you'll see the shelf life is the same for them all.

If you're interested in other types of fruit juice, there's a useful table here of the main 'box and bottle' types. What's really helpful is that it tells you how long you can keep them after the sell-by date - eg it claims that canned apple juice can be safely consumed as much as 9 months after its 'best-by' date. I can't vouch for that (don't sue me!!) but that's what it says.

Still - even if it doesn't keep that long, I don't see why I shouldn't enjoy them for the first year after TSHTF. As long as I remember to keep rotating..
17 April 2014, 10:53,
Nice one, that's really good info LL.

I think, for the longer term thing, I might have to resort to those vile granule type things! Cool-Aide anyone?
17 April 2014, 13:07,
Crystal Light is better, Scythe.

You can make your own. Deydrate your fruit to a crisp, them powder them up, add a bit of sugar, and there you go. I'll have a go myself this weekend if I remember to get some fruit and do a show and tell.

Or make your own Cordial/fruit syrups. This is a good resource.

http://www.permaculture.co.uk/readers-so...-naturally

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
17 April 2014, 14:44,
Nice one! Thanks TOF.
17 April 2014, 15:13,
They have been advertising a new "super" concentrated Robinsons squash on the TV this week, the bottle would fit in the palm of your hand and is designed to be carried around with you.

http://www.robinsonssquashd.co.uk/aboutsquashd.aspx

Not sure what the shelf life is like though.
17 April 2014, 15:15,
That looks cool.

Might have to set some and tell you all how effective it is 1 year after the sell by date, hehe.
17 April 2014, 17:32,
There's a powdered orange juice drink sold over here called Tang... to make it, just add water. It's orange colored, sweet, and sorta kinda tastes like orange juice (or a distant cousin thereof) but it stores almost forever and has a load of vitamin C. I don't know if you can get it over in the UK but it might be worth looking into.
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!