Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Police seize one of 'biggest ever arsenal of firearms' in east London
18 April 2014, 16:52,
RE: Police seize one of 'biggest ever arsenal of firearms' in east London
No, the days of dirt cheap ammo are over, at least they are in my neighborhood. The commercial cost of ammo over here is staggering.

7.62 NATO = $1 per shot (same for any other 30 caliber round)
5.56 NATO = $0.50 per shot
.45 acp = $0.75 per shot
9mm = $0.50 per shot

Even though I reload I have the cost of jacketed bullets to consider when using most semi-auto and full auto-weapons. Jacketed bullets are $0.28 each, primers are $0.04 each and powder runs $0.10 for a total of $0.42 per shot on reloads in the rifle calibers.

I wind up shooting a lot of Russian ammo due to the cost. AK ammo runs $0.23 per shot and 7.62x54 is $0.18 per shot. Which means I can shoot my Russian hardware cheaper than I can purchase components to reload NATO rounds.

That is coming to an end also, with the embargo against Russian imports our dictator just signed.

I am not really sure where he intends to get all the AK ammo he has been supplying to the Iraq and Afgan security forces once that goes into effect? Probably it is one of those import restrictions that only applies to civilians and the U.S. government will still buy directly from the Russian state arsenals. Probably is not a problem with Obama and Putin having joint ownership.

Or he may intend to commandeer the American ammo factories to that production and make our ammo shortage over here even more acute. So much production has been going to the government for the past 10 years it has created an intense ammo shortage, due to artificial demand, and the shelves are nearly bare of all "common calibers", and have been for 2 years.

People are putting off some gun purchases until they are certain they can obtain ammo for their chosen caliber.
18 April 2014, 21:59,
what the cost in the uk anyone ?
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
19 April 2014, 10:35,
Sounds to me like the US government can't control Gun ownership because of the numbers of weapons available, so they are trying through control of ammunition. I find it supremely ironic that politicians want to stop the average "citizen" owning firearms, yet they themselves are protected by the very weapons they wish to ban, funny that isn't it.
20 April 2014, 10:14,
I was under the impression the US ammunition shortages were caused by citizens buying huge stockpiles in case Obama acts against gun ownership. The US factories are working flat out, and we've had shortages of powder and ammunition here too.

Re: UK prices, a 500 round tin of decent "club" target 22LR can be had for £40, 50 round boxes of 22LR hollow point hover around £5-6, .17HMR is a lot more expensive at over £25 per 100. Assembled .308 is stupidly expensive, so are the components, decent heads are £25 per 100, I haven't added up the costs of powder, primers, cases etc..
20 April 2014, 11:14,
I'm paying 24p a round .38spl(£12 a box of 50 158grn lrn) and 5.7p a round .22lr(£2.85 a box of 50 cci) through the club which is an RFD but it appears the charge very little mark up on the stuff sold...I can't find these items cheaper anywhere else
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
20 April 2014, 11:18,
It seems every form of shooting is getting more expensive, over the years I have seen Wooden Arrow shafts rise in price, as have all the component parts to make Arrows.
12 Shafts==£25-30
12 Fletchings, you need three per arrow so 12 Arrows ==36 feathers @ £5.50 per 12 (16.50 for full set)
Arrow points £1.15-1.40 per point.
Nocks (horn) £5.50 per 6, £11 per dozen Arrows.
That's without the cost of Varnish etc and the time to make them. The only positive side is that you tend to get your Arrows back, if you hit the target that isSmile
If you want a set of custom shafts, matched in weight and spine made by a decent Fletcher, then you will be looking anywhere between £90-120 for a dozen, not cheap at all.