Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BOB weight
17 April 2014, 22:24,
BOB weight
Just wanted to know what kind of weight other members BOB are?
I'm trying to work out if mine is grossly overweight and whether I should take the kitchen sink out!
Still Learning!
18 April 2014, 01:42,
RE: BOB weight
Depends how good you are and what YOU need ?
One person could have every item they need and know how to use
But could be totally u/s to you.
I carry everything I need for me and my family in webbing rigg and a assult vest along with a day pack
But with the kit I can stay away for a long time not just 3 days
to win the war, you must be willing to die
18 April 2014, 04:52,
Also depends on if you actually have a big out location, that you actually own, have developed, stocked and prepped or if you intend to live in the woods like a ninja boy scout for the rest of your life.
18 April 2014, 12:38,
i would suggest putting it on and walking with it for an hour or two. That will give you pretty good idea of the weight. Everyone's capability is different. Ratios and formulas cant account for that. For example, I can handle a higher body weight/pack weight ratio than my wife.
18 April 2014, 12:41,
Also depends on how much money you can have just sitting around doing nothing
Buying a location then building one coupled with stocking it out is not going to come cheap
Then keeping it out of sight and secure.
Horses for courses.
I don't think anyone has the right answer ?
You just have to do what you think is best for you right or wrong Smile
to win the war, you must be willing to die
18 April 2014, 16:21,
You might also wish to do a search, or even just a scan down the first page of threads in the KIT section.

We do this thread about once a week and there are four threads on the subject on the first page of the KIT history section.

Just go to the top of the page and click on the blue word KIT in the title.
18 April 2014, 20:51,
I need to re-weigh mine actually. I think I'm running around the 15kg mark, if I'm guessing on the heavy side. I've made so many adaptations. I'll get it weighed and then message back.

The trick though, go as light as you can with as much as you can, but do not reduce on quality! To get a super light system will end up costing a lot. But to get a bearable set-up that can do the job just as well...much more affordable and realistic.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
19 April 2014, 18:52,
http://www.backpacking.net/packwate.html

You must also accept the fact that you can not carry civilization with you, not all of it anyway.

Your BOB will also be different under different constraints. If you are living in a hollow tree or in a hole under a bridge you will need one thing, if you are merely moving down the road due to a railway chemical spill and checking into a motel room or shelter, as 99% of the bug out scenarios are, you will be faced with other needs.

I consider the most important parts of my bug out gear to be my credit card and picture ID so I can check into a motel room rather than the Red Cross shelter down at the local school gym.

Most, if not all, of the things that will run you out of your home will not even affect the area 10 miles down the road.