Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overlapping Skill Sets
21 April 2014, 01:08,
Overlapping Skill Sets
At the moment, I'm really getting into practicing my hunting, stalking and shooting.

Interestingly, this has involved me doing more outdoors work and needed to better develop my bushcraft and survival skills.

My shooting, even when in a high-seat, now requires me to check trails, signs of recent use, understand animal behaviour, recognise choke points, distinguish tracks, know the strengths and weaknesses of the quarry, learn more about animal anatomy, and much more!

The overlap with bushcraft and rifle hunting....MASSIVE!

It seems obvious, but gun hunting is the next evolution of man, from old fashioned bushcraft 'bow and arrow' active hunting. History shows the transition from bow and arrow, to gun and munitions. The same is true with skill sets to learn. The further up the 'hunting evolutionary path' you are, the easier hunting is, but also the more detached you are from the basis of all hunting...namely simple bushcraft and understanding the world and the creatures within it. Haha, okay, I just went off on one there. Sorry. But I think it's important to recognise the ease with which technology provides, but also recognise the basis that hunting is originally a bushcraft skill, so learn ALL systems that you can. From hunting stick, to bow and arrow, to air rifles, to munitions and precision rifles with a 700 meter range. Okay, back on track now...

Recognising the interchangeable elements from one skill set to another, is a huge benefit for your prepping. Whether it's plant recognition, garden planting, and herbal medicine (check out Mary's thread on that, and add some remedies you might now), or whether it's electronics and solar-comms, or bushcraft + hunting + butchery + cooking (we're back to bushcraft with fire and the alike). The overlap should be blindingly obvious. One skill leads to another, leads to another, and so forth.

As preppers and survivalists, we need to understand that our skill sets are not mutually exclusive, and we should not assume that because a person has one particular skill or another, we need to not assume that is their only skill. Also, because we may be spending time on a specific skill set, we need to recognise that we should only do so, if it is not detrimental to another skill. We should be adding skills that enhance one another.

Add to this the ability to take a skill from one sector and use it in another setting. This is the essence of survival.

Learn what you can, practice what you've learned. Progress, develop, move forward. Adapt, survive, and thrive.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin