Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water collection options
21 September 2018, 19:24,
RE: Water collection options
Now we have too much rain, the drought seems months ago.

The storms are like buses, none for ages then they all come together.
29 July 2022, 21:14,
(28 June 2018, 20:00)Pete Grey Wrote: With this heatwave we have now, we are already being told to have showers instead of a bath, not to wash our cars, and not to use hosepipes.

Our waterbutts are are emptying fast as we water the vegetables and fruit trees, these waterbutts would form our emergency water backup in an event.

Here we go again, but this time the waterbutts are full.

We really need more water storage, unfortunately we can not get an IBC into our back garden, (narrow doorway), so it seems it will have to be tubs or more waterbutts, daisy chained.
30 July 2022, 03:29,
Pete, have you considered a cheap above ground swimming pool?

They come in all sizes, to fit your space, and some have an inflatable top ring. As they fill the top ring floats until it is at full capacity, drops as the pool empties. You can fold it up and squirrel it away in winter, or cover it.

https://www.amazon.com/Summer-Waves-Infl...155&sr=8-6

It's your own portable lake.

30 July 2022, 07:54,
That’s a great idea MB ! ......problem solved Pete !
31 July 2022, 16:18,
Never thought of one of those, but would prefer a sealed container(s), will give it more thought. Thanks MB.
31 July 2022, 16:59,
water butts do fine, we get a lot of rain in the South West, just make sure they are kept covered to keep the bugs out.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
31 July 2022, 20:45,
Water Butts or IBCs for storage is fine. I buried three IBCs in the back garden but the water table was too high and they crushed them so they held about half what they should have. Having a few water butts is much better imo.

I have about 10 IBCs. i stacked them in threes and pairs and it was OK. I wasn't comfortable with the height though for either of them as I have visions of them falling over and 2/3T of anything isn't to be ignored. I pulled the top ones down and have them sitting singly now although I have plenty of space for that. If I didn't have the space they would still be stacked 2 high.

Regardless of what you use you should filter them if you extract drinking or cooking water from them. I have set up some sand filters for that very task to support the filters I have. I have plenty of water and the IBCs are for animal and gardening use but it doesn't hurt to have the kits to use it for drinking or cooking water.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
31 July 2022, 23:08,
Sealed?

Why?

It's coming off the roof whether it goes into water butt, pool or IBC, it is not clean to start with.

Having a leaf blow in it will not make much difference that I can see.
31 July 2022, 23:46,
(31 July 2022, 23:08)Mortblanc Wrote: Sealed?

Why?

It's coming off the roof whether it goes into water butt, pool or IBC, it is not clean to start with.

Having a leaf blow in it will not make much difference that I can see.

Good point, I just thought a sealed option incase I ever wanted to fill up with tap water.
1 August 2022, 04:55,
You might be amazed at what is already growing inside your sealed water butts!

You just went through a major heat wave and stuff is cooking in there, even in sealed and dark containers.

When the temps here reach 30 we start growing slime in the closed systems.