Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
S13's Skills Project. Skill 1 - Hunting
7 May 2014, 16:52,
RE: S13's Skills Project. Skill 1 - Hunting
there's pheasants in the fields Scythe, plus squirrels in the woods, I saw a pair of deer in some other woods not far away.we get a pair(sometimes 4 or 5) Canada Geese that fly over most mornings.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
7 May 2014, 18:07,
(7 May 2014, 16:52)bigpaul Wrote: there's pheasants in the fields Scythe, plus squirrels in the woods, I saw a pair of deer in some other woods not far away.we get a pair(sometimes 4 or 5) Canada Geese that fly over most mornings.

Yeah, come on BP, get your camera out!!

When I got the photo's of the Shelducks I was secretly hoping that I would snap a couple of Canada Geese, but alas there were none there on that occasion Sad

Rabbits at the moment are very far and few between, its smack bang in the middle of their breeding season and I think they are all underground caring for their young.
7 May 2014, 18:35,
(7 May 2014, 18:07)Devonian Wrote: Rabbits at the moment are very far and few between, its smack bang in the middle of their breeding season and I think they are all underground caring for their young.

Yeah mate! Tell me about it. Over the weekend...3 rabbits! That's it! Over 20 acres of land...3 rabbits!!!

BP, as DEV said, get your camera out mate. I'll call you out, same as I'm calling out LS....light hearted and with the hope that it'll get you out and let you explain more about how you got so close to get such a good picture.

We all know DEV had a 'little' zoom work on for some of his pics. Fair does mate. Even DZord said he used the zoom, to make the picture clear. I'm not knocking either of them, fair play for getting out and about. But let's not be cheating too much now lads haha.

Round 2 is still running.

Hex, Binnie, PrepUK, LS, BP,still waiting for those pics lads....

If you're waiting for my pics...me too. Not been able to get a good 'meal' animal pic at all! Write up your successes and failures! These are the kinds of things that help each other learn.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
7 May 2014, 19:30,
Out again today but no pictures, wandered about in the woods for hours and saw plenty of wood pidgeons but couldnt get close to them, wild ones are a hell of a lot more jumpy than the ones in the garden lol. I shall try again soon, i will get a wild wood pidgeon.
7 May 2014, 19:34,
(7 May 2014, 19:30)Danzord Wrote: Out again today but no pictures, wandered about in the woods for hours and saw plenty of wood pidgeons but couldnt get close to them, wild ones are a hell of a lot more jumpy than the ones in the garden lol. I shall try again soon, i will get a wild wood pidgeon.

That's the first half of the lesson right there mate. The problem is that the second half of the lesson....getting the picture...is 90% harder than the first half haha.
7 May 2014, 21:02,
Has anyone considered that the real measure of success is not how close one can get to the quarry, but if you can get close enough to kill them with the tools one has at hand.

That 12 pound pellet rifle might require a stalk to 10 meters.

The bow to 20 meters, if you are an expert.

If you are within 40meters of the game, any small game, you are in shotgun range.

40 meters is also a fine range for deer if using buckshot.
8 May 2014, 06:42,
I completely agree MB. I've seen videos of rabbits taken with a 12lb at 40+ meters. Personally, I prefer to go with 25-28 meter ranges (I'm zeroed with my .177 at 26 meters).

I think I've said it here, maybe in the first post, if you can stalk to a distance and get a clean photo, then a clean kill shot is even easier.

The idea of the challenge is simply to get out and practice, and then share experiences, best practice, etc.
8 May 2014, 14:14,
(7 May 2014, 18:07)Devonian Wrote: Yeah, come on BP, get your camera out!!
well for 1. I don't own a camera, for 2. I wouldn't know how to load the photos onto the computer let alone 3. I wouldn't know how to put them on the site!!! I'm a total techno dunce.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 May 2014, 14:20,
(8 May 2014, 14:14)bigpaul Wrote: well for 1. I don't own a camera, for 2. I wouldn't know how to load the photos onto the computer let alone 3. I wouldn't know how to put them on the site!!! I'm a total techno dunce.
Next time we have a meet, I'll show you how to do it mate.

Ebay, get a digital camera (£5 should be enough) and I'll show you what to do.
8 May 2014, 14:34,
Or just email the pictures to me or S13, we'll upload them for you, its easy enough Big Grin

Do you have a camera on your phone??