Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
S13's Skills Project. Skill 1 - Hunting
24 April 2014, 23:29,
RE: S13's Skills Project. Skill 1 - Hunting
A quick note. You can use zoom. But you'll be caught, told off, and you'll be cheating yourself from the experience and miss out on some amazing lessons and learning.

Personally, I plan on a normal photo without zoom. But will get another with zoom, but for my personal wildlife pics.

Not sure what to have as a prize, of whether to have a prize at all. Try it and see how it goes.

Oh and anyone caught using a google photo will be fed to BP or NR....so be warned.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
25 April 2014, 11:33,
Let the discussions begin!

Okay, I'm off proper shooting tomorrow, nice and early in the day. A friend's farm has trouble with seagulls pecking his chickens and killing them. So I'll be down there on guard duty.

While I'm there, I do hope to get me a couple of snaps of rabbits, and maybe one for the pot.

Please note, it's not the one for the pot that is the subject of this thread. It's about learning the skill to sneak up on a rabbit and being stable long enough to get a good picture.

For me, I'm going to be spending a lot of time stood/lay motionless, waiting around their burrows/warrens, and waiting for a couple to pop out.

To add an extra element of fun, I'm not going to turn off the sound from my camera. They will hear the full "Click-fffzzzzzzzt-click" of the photo being taken. It'll add an element of realism for actual hunting practice.

Camo clothing, and a low profile.

What technique will you be using?
25 April 2014, 20:47, (This post was last modified: 25 April 2014, 20:50 by Danzord.)
Right, i got a few pictures today, only uploaded ones i was confident id be able to shoot at that range (if the pictures upload). My method today was one i used more when i was younger, walk until i spot something then sneak up to a range i was confident to shoot ot at. I used no camo and was in normal clothing. Tomorrow ill be trying with camo but the same method. http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/danzor...iew=recent. Hope the link works.

One note, i know sheep arent wild but if tshtf id still be killing them so i included them.
26 April 2014, 00:03,
Nice one.

I noticed a little bit of zoom being used on the dove on the pylon....naughty haha.

To be totally fair mate, I'm impressed. Brilliant picture of the 2 rabbits together.

For an extra bit of fun, see how close you can get to a rabbit for a picture. This will teach you a lot about your stalking capabilities. For super difficult stalking, get me a picture of a wood pigeon too.
26 April 2014, 10:13, (This post was last modified: 26 April 2014, 10:17 by Danzord.)
The one on the pylon was zoomed a little yes, but i was stood about 2 foot from the pylon, just couldnt get a clear picture. It wasnt realy hard to stalk that one, it would fly away no matter how close i got. And theres a picture of another bird on there, dunno what is was but it looked edible.

*wouldnt fly away.
26 April 2014, 10:44,
You've done better than me so far DZ.

I am actually at my hunting permission right now (sat in my car as it's chucking it down). I was stalking a wood pigeon and noticed a couple of ears poke up. I set my scope, zoom right in (12x mag) and see a lovely bunny ready for the pot. I sneak to within 10 meters of it, then remember the photo idea. Got my camera out, lined it up with the bunny. Popped the cap. Turned the camera on....*fffzzzzz ding click, zzzzi* the camera is now on, and the bunny is off! Straight into the bushes!

No photo, no bunny, no happy Scythe13!
26 April 2014, 20:15,
I think, the lesson I learned for this one, don't be too cocky and try to show off. It's an obvious lesson, but one that's still important post SHTF.

If you're out hunting, don't try to impress. Just do what it takes to get the job done.
27 April 2014, 01:25,
well i got a pic of a couple of swans today, didnt really have to do much stalking as they just swam right up to me. could have probably taken one with a pointy stick lol. ill upload the pic when i work out how to Big Grin
the ducks are pretty much the same, theyre that stupid they just swim up to you looking for food. it does give me an idea though, if i build a decent size net it is reasonable to think that i could capture a few greedy ducks as they gather together Smile could be an easy way to start my own breeding stock if ever needed Wink
Winter is coming
27 April 2014, 10:19,
I tried to upload my pics, but my new camera won't do it. So I'm going to have to sort out another way to take pics.
27 April 2014, 17:43,
OK, so I was up for the challenge and planned to head out on Saturday, but the weather wasn’t great so the challenge was postponed until today.

And the day started off well, I was able to get up close to a wood pigeon in the back garden before I’d even left the house!

[Image: SAM_0563_zpsc3875347.jpg]

[Image: SAM_0565_zps03255a05.jpg]

[Image: SAM_0567_zpsb25b7f25.jpg]

I was therefore hopeful of great results when I got to the woods and I was planning on going big!! Never mind bugs bunny or the pigeons I was going to get Roe Deer up close……..

Well that was the plan and the last few trips to the woods had shown me a pair of Roe Deer, but not today, the woods were completely devoid of any wildlife/animals, the woods were empty, even the Bluebells hadn’t yet flowered.

[Image: SAM_0573_zpsd82126bb.jpg]

[Image: SAM_0576_zpse8e331e8.jpg]

Now I was beginning to think that maybe a big happy Labrador having the time of life running around was helping LOL!! So we found a sheltered spot located up above where the Deer normally come into the woods and we waited, and we waited, and we waited…….you get the idea, and still nothing, there weren’t even any sheep in the surrounding fields!

[Image: SAM_0583_zpse0f5bec8.jpg]

So once the dog had had a good sleep and there were no signs of any life whatsoever, we got up and had another wonder around to see what we could find, and surprise surprise, we found a Deer, just not quite like I had hoped.

[Image: SAM_0584_zpsb6e9653c.jpg]

[Image: SAM_0591_zps22b03ead.jpg]

Anyway there are no rabbits in the woods as there is nothing for them to graze on, so it was always going to some something or nothing. So I’ll try again next weekend, but I have a different plan and location in mind…….