Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum Participation - Important
23 April 2014, 13:58,
Forum Participation - Important
I've just started a forum fun skill project.

In the past, we have had many different forum projects tried and tested, and the level of participation has been low. So low in fact, that I once failed miserably at making bread outside with a fire, the burned bits were all that was edible (on my first attempt at least) and I was ashamed that I couldn't make even semi-edible bread! But I kept practicing. My bread still sucks, and I still don't eat bread anyway, so it's not a skill I'm ever going to use. But I tried. It was great fun, and if I get bored, I know there's an entertaining activity to have a go at haha.

Is this a boast about my Herculean efforts and complete lack and failings of bread making skill? Nope. At the end of the challenge, I won!

How the hell did I win that challenge?

It wasn't because my skill set had improved, or because I bribed the judge. I won because nobody else posted any efforts that they did. There were a few people that were going to try, but the weather didn't allow them to have a go.

Because the number of entrants was....just me. By default, I won.

The challenge was to win a Mora knife, or a surprise item. I went for the surprise item and was very pleased with it (Thank you WetnCold, we miss you mate).

But the thing is, if you don't try, you CAN'T win.

There is a story about a guy who offered an around the world plane ticket for a student that won a simple enough competition. He said that if a student just handed him a piece of paper with their name written on it, they would have won, because the challenge was to see who would get the best result. Because nobody at all tried the challenge, nobody even bothered to hand in a note saying "I failed, but at least I tried." Then the ticket was not awarded.

Would you write your name on a piece of paper, for a round the world ticket for a year? Damn right! You'd be an idiot not to.

I did a challenge a while back about making fire using primitive means (http://forum.survivaluk.net/showthread.php?tid=5854). If anyone had even taken a photo of a couple of sticks, they would have won. MB was the closes to a winner, but he lives in America and I'm not posting a knife over to the US. No offence mate.

With the challenges, projects, and the alike, it's well worth having a go and posting your efforts. If you don't do too well, that's fine. You are more than welcome to keep trying. We're here to help one another.

Post your efforts, and we'll help out where we can.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin