Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What kinds of Articles would you want to read?
23 April 2014, 14:45,
What kinds of Articles would you want to read?
Just running on from SD's changes to the websites.

It would be good to get an idea of what kinds of articles people would like to see on the main site?

Obviously SD wants the sites to appeal to all parties involved in prepping, e.g. noob to seasoned veteran. So whatever you want to see being posted, it would be good to know so as a collective group we can help address your needs.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
24 April 2014, 12:21,
RE: What kinds of Articles would you want to read?
A specific guide to urban prepping would be great. So many things I read are American and bushcraft / wilderness related which just doesn't cut it here in the Uk. It's why I joined a UK forum. Useful advice like 'just get out of urban areas' is a lot harder this side of the pond. Bugging in is the new bugging out, and as far as I can tell most preppers are at least semi-urban and staying put. The chances of me getting my family 200+miles away to a safer location post SHTF is unlikely to down right dangerous.

I've been on the forum less than a month but enjoying it and learning lots. Plan on staying around (and on the forum too!)
“In the long history of humankind those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed” Charles Darwin
24 April 2014, 12:42,
I'd agree with Sly on that, Bugging In is always going to be the priority and bugging out will be the final (desperate) last resort.

And given that I guess 95% or so of us probably live in a village, town or city, then urban prepping is something that is largely overlooked.

And urban prepping should not be restricted or thought of solely as occurring in the big cities, urban prepping would equally apply to a village or town in rural Yorkshire where similar issues would exist and similar resources would be available, the only difference really being that of scale.
24 April 2014, 12:44,
(24 April 2014, 12:21)SlyUrbanFox Wrote: A specific guide to urban prepping would be great. So many things I read are American and bushcraft / wilderness related which just doesn't cut it here in the Uk. It's why I joined a UK forum. Useful advice like 'just get out of urban areas' is a lot harder this side of the pond. Bugging in is the new bugging out, and as far as I can tell most preppers are at least semi-urban and staying put. The chances of me getting my family 200+miles away to a safer location post SHTF is unlikely to down right dangerous.

I've been on the forum less than a month but enjoying it and learning lots. Plan on staying around (and on the forum too!)

The truth is SUF that there is not a great deal of hands on long term experience of Urban survivalism as it relates to UK.

NR has recently started to get the ball rolling on discussions about this side of things, but he's a died in the wool Rural guy and its probably quite an uphill task for him to stay enthusiastically in the driving seat on Urban survival issues.

Best bet would be for actual Urban dwellers, who can't entertain rural escapes for what ever reason, to start threads, describing challenges and looking for discussion for suitable solutions. That way those with rural knowledge can offer solutions that might or might not suite, but which may stimulate thoughts on solutions that will.

Perhaps SD can create a Urban section on here so that everything related can be kept in one place?
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

24 April 2014, 14:08,
maybe some of the urban guys could do a piece about staying safe in a city post SHTF or what they would do to get supplies in an event situation, something like that.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
24 April 2014, 15:40,
Personally I like to see pictures

A tutorial that includes pictures of what you are doing makes it a lot easier to understand. That skill you have just learnt ? post a picture of the results. Just bought a shiny new piece of kit ? post a picture. Made a snare ? modified your BOV ? built a water filter ? the project you just completed ? post a pic of the results

Apart from breaking up walls of text and aiding peoples understanding, pics also provide a little bit of evidence that you do actually do the things you talk about
24 April 2014, 15:54,
pictures would be great, but it's really hard to do from an opsec point of view.

I'd like to see more on wild edibles and suchlike.
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
24 April 2014, 16:28,
Yes pictures are good, we all like to see some pictures.

That gets me thinking, last weekend I started to make my first ever homemade longbow from a 7' long 6" diameter ash tree trunk. I haven't taken any photo's of the process, but I will try and get done this weekend and posted up for everyone to have a laugh at!!

I have no idea if it will be any good, it'll probably snap before I manage to get a bow string attached, but hey its all part of the learning experience Blush and may inspire others to have a go as well.

Maybe one of S13's future monthly challenges could be for everyone to make a bow out of whatever materials you can get hold of and see what we all come up with????
25 April 2014, 15:48,
I like to read "homesteading" stuff, I've already bugged out of the South East and won't be moving again.

On the Urban theme, yes that would be interesting. For example, it struck me some time ago that if you have a solar panel and a de-humidifier then you have a source of water if you decide to barricade yourself into your 14th floor flat. Add some pasta, rice and vitamin pills and you could last quite a while.
25 April 2014, 16:04,
Your 14th floor flat would be great for a radio repeater.
Just make sure that abseil rope is handy if they come through the door.Big Grin
“In the long history of humankind those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed” Charles Darwin