Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dealing with larger groups
27 April 2014, 21:23,
RE: Dealing with larger groups
This thread reminded me of a little incident I got involved in a while ago. It obviously was not to do with looting, but did involve a group of people who were, shall be say, misbehaving. They were making one hell of a racket in the lane and OH went out to tell them to stop it. One of the creatures started up with the threatening behaviour and unpleasant language. I don't know why I did it; it was really stupid, but I was ticked off! I went down our drive, walked out into the road and stood right in the middle of the lane next to the OH. It was like being in the middle of a pack of hyenas (so I imagine); they were circling us. For some reason I was completely calm - I should say I do not normally get involved in this sort of thing, my instinct is to get away - but I was so annoyed fear left me. I was quite ready to whack the idiot who was circling round mouthing all sorts of unpleasant things. Luckily before I got to smack him one with the very large garden machete that I just happened to have dangling in my hand (I had been hacking away at a group of nettles), OH collared one of the group and marched him into our drive where he told him in no uncertain terms to pack it all in or the Police would be called and trouble would ensue.

It was a minor thing and dissipated quickly, but afterwards I realised it could have turned nasty. Either of us could have been hurt; I might have done someone a nasty injury with my gardening implement and things could have got serious. They didn't, but I behaved really stupidly because I didn't think, and I didn't think I had time not to act.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
27 April 2014, 22:43,
its a good point Mary makes...sometimes you have to act without forethought, she was lucky on this occasion that the situation didn't escalate , perhaps the machete was just enough of a threat to keep the adversaries in check , it would pay us all to consider what we might do in advance for these kinds of scenario's...can't cover them all but you may give yourself a headstart rather than the anger and adrenaline driving your decisions.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
28 April 2014, 09:49,
(27 April 2014, 22:43)MaryN Wrote: It was a minor thing and dissipated quickly, but afterwards I realised it could have turned nasty. Either of us could have been hurt; I might have done someone a nasty injury with my gardening implement and things could have got serious. They didn't, but I behaved really stupidly because I didn't think, and I didn't think I had time not to act.
That's one of the reasons for discussing this kind of situation or scenario ahead of time. It allows for more calculated actions to be taken.

Glad it turned out okay though, and that you're both alright.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
28 April 2014, 17:35,
So, what should Mary have done?

Not being critical or judgmental, what is past is past.

But in the present social situation what could have been done differently.

And post event what would one do differently?
28 April 2014, 19:07,
(28 April 2014, 17:35)Mortblanc Wrote: So, what should Mary have done?

Not being critical or judgmental, what is past is past.

But in the present social situation what could have been done differently.

And post event what would one do differently?

In fairness to Mary, it turned out okay, so that's really what matters. Force respects force. That's been my experience many times over, and there have been very few situations where it's not applied. For that situation and circumstance, it turned out well and the situation was resolved.

Post event, the assumption should be made that gangs of kids have weapons too (see NR's post about the teacher being stabbed situation). So in that instance, a greater display of force would be required. A couple of people against a larger group, where everyone is armed...maybe not so good. But a large enough display of force would of course make the other group back down.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
28 April 2014, 20:33,
Looking back, the only thing that really struck a chord was that my OH was out there with a group of inbreeds and I wasn't about to let it go. It was a bloody stupid thing to do (hits head on wall "stupid", "stupid"), and I know it was really dumb, but adrenaline clicked in. I need to find out how to switch that off! The even more stupid thing is that I would probably do it again - I'm sure you chaps would step up for your partners. Wouldn't you?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
29 April 2014, 00:21,
yes i would be there like a shot and have been in the past...my other half is pretty scary and punches like a mule(3 older brothers)hot headed too....but on more than one occassion i have been on the loosing side...post event being on the losing side might be significantly more than a shiner a bent nose and a limp.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!