Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dealing with larger groups
25 April 2014, 18:22,
RE: Dealing with larger groups
(25 April 2014, 18:02)bigpaul Wrote: it all depends on the event as to whether people are moving about and how many survived. we have been here before. I'm out.

Come on mate. Don't be like that.

The idea is to look at the variables with how to deal with a larger group. They may be better armed, or they might be less well armed. Better trained, less well trained, or the same, etc.

It's these kinds of things we need to consider, not in a narrow sense, but in a wider world multiplicity-possibility situation. We can't control all the factors, so we need to account for as many of them as possible.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
26 April 2014, 01:14, (This post was last modified: 26 April 2014, 01:17 by Midnitemo.)
Mort it is that simple you observe til you have enough intel to make an informed choice, you know your disposition and by observing you will know there's....then you make a choice how to proceed....if they discover you before you are in possesion of all you need to know then you withdraw simplesWink

thats about the sum of it without introducing facts, figures and detail's into the mix as scythe has prescribed.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
26 April 2014, 12:05,
Run when you can, fight when you have to. If you have time, fight on your terms and control the contact. People will revert to the "might is right " doctrine very quickly as this is the defacto condition for human society. The only thing humans understand in this situation is fear, and they will use this fear to overwhelm people. You have to make them fear you more than you fear them. Put a few crucified headless corpses at your boundary and I guarantee people will think twice about coming down your roadBig Grin
Midnitemo, as an ex British soldier you know we never withdraw, we advance to the rear old boy.
26 April 2014, 12:16, (This post was last modified: 26 April 2014, 12:53 by Midnitemo.)
we never retreat...we retireBig Grin

a CO once told me better a live dog than a dead lion!

i was getting a bit gung ho at the time(exuberance of youth)

I think S13 makes a good and valid point about contact with other groups/individuals being innevitable....was thinking the same thing a little while back, how will i deal with an unexpected meeting say for instance out in the woods checking snares and you blunder headlong into somebody/bodies....how will we deal with it?.....back up and go around as if a chance encounter with a dangerous beast?...cock your weapon and stride purposefully past keeping a close eye?... nod and make a greeting and shuffle by subserviently?...turn and run?....start shooting?(hope not)
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
27 April 2014, 12:36,
If they are on your "patch" near your traps then you have to assume they are going to rob you of any food caught, why else would they be skulking around your woods anyway. If they're unarmed I would confront them and drive them away with the threat of deadly force, as you don't want competition for limited resources, they will take food that your family/group could use, SHTF is not polite society it is survival. If they are armed in any way I can't take the chance of being polite, hoping they won't kill me, because they might!! and we have Women and Children to protect.
27 April 2014, 16:50,
(27 April 2014, 12:36)Tartar Horde Wrote: If they are on your "patch" near your traps then you have to assume they are going to rob you of any food caught, why else would they be skulking around your woods anyway. If they're unarmed I would confront them and drive them away with the threat of deadly force, as you don't want competition for limited resources, they will take food that your family/group could use, SHTF is not polite society it is survival. If they are armed in any way I can't take the chance of being polite, hoping they won't kill me, because they might!! and we have Women and Children to protect.

So how would you respond? Play around with different scenarios.

This question, and leaving it so open, has caused me to greatly consider the different possibilities that may happen. Thoughts like scaring them off, then having someone watch them, has come to mind. Other ideas were to make your numbers look much larger than they are.

Don't forget, if they take your compound/BOL or wherever you are, if it's well stocked, they're not leaving until they have done a locust impression and eaten all of your stuff, ruined your gardening, and the alike. OR, they will move in, take over, and own/control all you've built.

How would you respond? Would you know how to attack your own location effectively?
27 April 2014, 17:02, (This post was last modified: 27 April 2014, 17:21 by bigpaul.)
the trouble with anything like this, and at the end of the day its only a scenario, is we don't know the variables, we don't know how serious the event is, how many people have survived, whether we've had to bug out or hunker down in place, I'm assuming its WROL, but it'll be different for each situation, what will be appropriate for someone in a city wont be the same for someone in the countryside, what will be appropriate for someone by the seaside wont be the same for someone in the suburbs. its going to be different for each and every one of us.

I have great difficulty with deciding what to do in a general sense, I can only see how it would affect me personally and I don't want to go down that route again, for obvious reasons.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 April 2014, 17:41,
(27 April 2014, 17:02)bigpaul Wrote: the trouble with anything like this, and at the end of the day its only a scenario, is we don't know the variables, we don't know how serious the event is, how many people have survived, whether we've had to bug out or hunker down in place, I'm assuming its WROL, but it'll be different for each situation, what will be appropriate for someone in a city wont be the same for someone in the countryside, what will be appropriate for someone by the seaside wont be the same for someone in the suburbs. its going to be different for each and every one of us.

I have great difficulty with deciding what to do in a general sense, I can only see how it would affect me personally and I don't want to go down that route again, for obvious reasons.

Then answer and give generalised perspectives.

Like say how you'd cope if you were by the seaside, by a city, if they were suddenly upon each other, if you had time to observe them, if you had time to get your gear and run off, if you didn't have time to get your gear, if you were armed, if you were unarmed, if you were alone, if you were with the wife, or what.

The idea is to play around with the various scenarios and work around ideas like that.
27 April 2014, 20:21,
Interesting, always supposing you have the time and opportunity to observe before you have to act. Sometimes you don't get the choice.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
27 April 2014, 21:06,
I believe in ceding ground not blood, giving ground not losing group members, its probably wiser in the long term to run away and simply outlive them as their skills are likely to be limited to foraging and stealing. BUT if you are backed into a corner you must strike out hard, lethally, swiftly and thoroughly before withdrawing, you NEVER want to get into a prolonged firefight.
BTW a couple of well placed molotovs on top of a crowd of looters will work wonders in your favour