Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tactical pen review
25 April 2014, 13:30,
Tactical pen review
Tactical pen review
Wow, tactical pens are superb, I’ve just received a handful of these pens for use among my family group and I’m impressed with the quality. Delivered in double wrapped plastic to prevent prying eyes from Portsmouth I believe, they come in a nice box with foam insert. They are branded as Laix B2 pens.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261286503429?v...1497.l2649
Details
Machined steel, with black anodised coating, the body is both gnarled for grip and fluted for strength, the pocket clip is a single stamped piece of spring steel secured to one end of the pen by a toughened steel glass breaking tip. Total overall length is 6 inches which makes it both convenient for EDC carry and a very nice effective length for use as an escape tool or Kubotan.
To write with the pen requires a simple twist the bottom third of the pen.
Strength wise the pen is made up from two pieces of O ring sealed closely thick wall machined steel tube overlapping each other by about an inch and a quarter, the ink cartridge refill is the standard parker pen type.
At around £13 inc free posting they are definitely being added to all my peoples EDC gear.

25 April 2014, 13:50,
RE: Tactical pen review
looks good, price is a bit stiff for a chinese product...have been disapointed on a number of occasions with products from PRC....will keep an eye on ebay...would like an update in the future to how its worked out in everyday use....am using pencils in there stead at the mo as they too have a few extra uses....but i may add these aswell
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
25 April 2014, 14:30,
I have a Colt pen, and I love it to bits. The one you have there NR looks like the UZI pen.

My only criticism is that the pen clip is right under some heavy knurling. If you are going to be using the pen clip element on a regular basis, that'll shred your pockets. Otherwise, it's an awesome thing to have. A multi-purpose item. I got mine because of the glass breaker...and it looks awesome haha.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
25 April 2014, 14:36,
Mo,
Sir yes you are right I to have had quality control issues with stuff made in China, This beasty is not troubled that way, it appears to be over engineered and beautifully put together., and as Scythes sharp eyes have detected its very similar to the Uzi pen, I think its probably from the same factory but without the Uzi logo, slightly different texturing to the UZI but very very similar.

I've just ordered another two to go with the three I bought last week I'm that impressed.

25 April 2014, 14:54,
Similar? It's identical, as far as I can tell.

http://www.heinnie.com/uzi-tac-pen-33
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
25 April 2014, 15:27, (This post was last modified: 25 April 2014, 15:28 by NorthernRaider.)
You appear to be very right S13, the image I looked at of an Uzi pen appeared to have different gnarling on the top half but the image you so kindly posted shows it as being identical.

My version is £3 cheaper and post free Smile

25 April 2014, 19:18,
Interesting product NR.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Can you check your one again please?...You say its made of steel but the e-bay ad as wellas the Uzi ads both state that its aluminium....

Not that it makes any difference to me right now, but it could make a difference to someone else's needs
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

25 April 2014, 19:52,
"£$%^ **^&*(*&^%$ Shit , Yes bugger its an alloy not steel, dunno how I got that wrong, but its a very chunky heavy alloy, feels far more solid than light pure aluminium.

Sorry bout that at least it wont rust !!!

25 April 2014, 20:42,
I would be pretty wary of carrying one of those for EDC. I would much prefer to keep on using my Parker fountain pen as a handy writing/incidental emergency self defense tool.
Any pen/pencil can double as a weapon.A tactical pen with more than a passing resemblance to a Kubotan could very likely land you in hot water if you ever used it as anything other than a writing implement.

When my girlfriend got attacked (not seriously) the police officer quietly told her to keep a pair of scissors in her handbag.He said if she ever had to use them then the courts would look a lot more favourably on her if she used a common place item to defend herself with (an incidental weapon).
Those tactical pens may look cool but for everyday carry I would advise caution.
The UK weapons laws are open to interpretation and the average bobby quite frankly doesn't have a clue.Even UK legal sub 3"" slipjoints can get you in trouble as the police could easily see a knife,even a perfectly legal one as a weapon.A sub 3"" straight razor is Uk legal,but try explaining that to pc plod if he catches you opening a pack of wotsits with one.
25 April 2014, 21:50,
A set of Klein telephone lineman's pliers in a tool pocket of your work trousers doubles as hammer, sap and come-along, and goes most places without a second look.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA