Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Considerations for a Foot Passenger GHB.
27 April 2014, 10:29,
RE: Considerations for a Foot Passenger GHB.
Carrying on from TOF's thoughts about a Network Down issue effecting a phone map app...once you have your maps on your phone. Do screen shots. Lots of them! That way you can easily have a copy of the maps you were looking at, even if you're out of signal.

For urban caching, you can do the same thing. Some pictures use the map locator system, so you can see where a photo was taken (VERY HANDY when you park your car in a city you don't know very well, but a bit weird taking a picture of your own car haha). The uses for this are HUGE. Simply take a picture of an area close to, where your cache is hidden. Then screen shot the photo on the map.

Sounds complex if you don't know how to use the photo locator, but play around and you'll get it quickly enough.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
27 April 2014, 10:29,
Thanks for that SUF.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
27 April 2014, 11:11,
As SUF indicates a phone screen is not great for mapping applications due to the small size of the screen, a tablet is far better and saves a lot of zooming and panning around the screen.

However the network down/EMF Burst issue got me thinking that maybe we should all consider the design of our GHB's......

My GHB for example is a small Caribee back pack which has an internal pocket/compartment for a water bladder, but it is also the perfect fit for my 10" Galaxy tablet, so I was thinking what about if I formed a small faraday cage within this pocket inside the GHB so that whenever the tablet, or phone or USB stick is in this pocket, it is protected from an EMF burst???

This could be far simpler to do than it sounds, I was thinking about using one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Static-Shielding...ds=faraday

Does anyone have any experience of them, particularly as to their durability and their effectiveness for protection again an EMF burst??
27 April 2014, 15:08,
This issue is a biggie for me at the moment. While I do have a car, the cost of petrol and parking for my 60km or so daily round trip commute is prohibitive, so I catch either the company shuttle bus or two public buses.

Keeping in mind the bus rides range from 70 to 90 minutes and I'm pretty much guaranteed to not have a seat on at least one of the public buses, I can't really carry a lot of weight around.

Apart from my laptop and associated cables etc, I therefore only carry an umbrella and pair of socks (due to our rainy climate all-year round), 500ml bottle of water and a snack bar or two, box of matches, pen and paper and some spare cash in my laptop bag. While I usually have a small penknife on my key ring, I had my most recent one confiscated last week at the train station by an overzealous security guard and have not replaced it yet.

Having gone through the info above, I guess I do need a few other things in my bag (meds spring to mind), however will need to find a better stronger bag first to hold it all in.