Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BOB Tacticool or Stealth
28 April 2014, 21:05,
RE: BOB Tacticool or Stealth
(28 April 2014, 18:53)Scythe13 Wrote: I get what you guys are both saying about the bike vs car thing. I totally agree. However, I'm assuming the distance to the car is a reasonable distance?

SUF, have you considered using a bike to get to the car and bring it back to the family? Or (I know there is considerable risk in this, but it might be an option if you have another couple of families on board) getting your family to head in a safe direction, while you cycle to the car, load up, then pick them up on their route? It would be best if you had neighbours on board, but imagine if you set your family off with another family, and say you and the mother of the other family, go and pick up both your family cars, leaving the father of the other family and the mother of yours, to look after the kids. That way you'd be able to move them out of harms way, while also making a try for what would certainly be a helpful device....the car.

What do you think of that?

So you'd pick them up, say 2 miles from home. Everyone bundle into the cars, then head off to your BOL. You'd get there much faster in a car, and you'd be able to get out of there much faster if you had a car too.

I certainly wouldn't leave ny wife and children to go grab the car.

KISS - how do you know the direction you sent your family off in is safe. You can't guarantee you'll both make it to the rv point at the same time, or at all.

Stay together.
28 April 2014, 21:29,
(28 April 2014, 21:05)BeardyMan Wrote: I certainly wouldn't leave ny wife and children to go grab the car.

KISS - how do you know the direction you sent your family off in is safe. You can't guarantee you'll both make it to the rv point at the same time, or at all.

Stay together.

That's fair mate. I don't have kids, and my wife is a better shot than I am, plus a much better runner and cyclist, and general all round endurance athlete, so I think I'm probably being too complacent.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
28 April 2014, 21:32,
The decision to bug out will be my last resort as I have no specific BOL other than family 15 miles away who maybe in the poo too. If I have to go, be it on foot, MTB, or by car the decision will be made at the time from Intel gleened from as many sources as possible (hence importance of comms) If it's gridlock or roads are barricaded then why attempt to use the car. The car won't go down the footpath/towpath/open fields I can use to escape on foot or bike. Roads empty, no roadblocks, full tank of fuel and away we go. Leave the wife and child? Never!
“In the long history of humankind those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed” Charles Darwin
28 April 2014, 21:53,
I just had a thought that you might like SUF. There is the assumption that you park your car in the direction you travel to get to work, because you cannot park your car close to your home. So I'm assuming it's a small walk to your car, then a drive into work.

If things start getting noticeably worse, park your car in the opposite direction to the town. For daily commutes, you'll be driving further back and forth, I.E. you'll be walking the opposite direction from work, to get to your car, then back tracking the whole walk when you drive in to town. HOWEVER, WTSHTF, you'll be walking away from a population centre, with your family, and you'll be moving towards your car.

Would that be a feasible option?
28 April 2014, 22:26,
I like your thinking, that might just work.

Completely off plan, how about a cheap 4x4 parked off road (SORN) so no tax or insurance, won't need that after SHTF. Just need to find somewhere to hide it.......
“In the long history of humankind those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed” Charles Darwin
28 April 2014, 22:47,
Good idea in theory, but the reality will be that by the time you need to use it, the battery will be dead, the tyres flat, the diesel has been drained etc - Murphy's Law!!
28 April 2014, 22:52,
SUF, you could very easily do that kind of thing and use a rental garage. I know many places have garages up for sale. It might make sense to buy one (finances allowing) and not only store a car in there, but also a load of fuel, tins, water, and the alike.
29 April 2014, 00:47,
ok i havent read most of this so sorry if im going over anything, but to me if you wanna survive you need to blend in.
now i did notice that someone mentioned about mobs wanting to attack people that they see as an authority, so if your dressed tactically (combat gear, boots etc) that could be you, and i cant really argue with that. even if your not wearing the uniform correctly or your wearing hunting camo's it would probably draw attention and at least make people assume you have something worth taking.
but lets say you were to head out in jeans and a hoodie, even if you were carrying a weapon (to blend in with a mob your best bet would most likely be a blunt object like a bat or hammer) your more likely to blend in with any local yobbos.
Winter is coming