Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Primary Style of Hunting?
29 April 2014, 00:02,
RE: Primary Style of Hunting?
There are a lot of water resources in my area, and I can get a more consistent feed from Rivers and lakes etc. I would aim to net and trap those resources on a frequent enough basis to maintain a steady flow of Fish. If you have a local patch you can't decimate the local Rabbits, as you have to maintain a hunting/trapping level that maintains their population, so Rabbits have to be taken in moderation, but if you can range far enough you can get a steady supply. Don't get me wrong hunting is a buzz, but you'll get far more game by trapping.
29 April 2014, 19:38,
One of my new hobbies is learning edible plants on my walks and marking them down on my maps also been `gorilla planting ' in various places so harvesting these and air rifle hunting are my plans for now. Learning how to build traps is on the to do list
25 July 2017, 07:23,
I hunt with my .60 caliber flintlock fusil. I also have a .32 caliber flintlock rifle. I carry a .70 caliber flintlock pistol for defence.
Keith.

Advantages of a Flintlock Muzzle-loader.
1) Ammo is less expensive than a modern equivalent caliber firearm.
2) The smoothbore is very versatile, being able to digest round ball, bird shot, & buckshot, or any combination of two of these (can also use minies).
3) The fusil is lighter to carry than a modern equivalent sized gun.
4) You can vary the load if needs be.
5) The smoothbore will digest other projectiles besides lead.
6) Lead can be retrieved from downed game & remoulded with a simple mould & lead ladle. This means that you can carry less lead, & more of the lighter gunpowder.
7) You can make your own gunpowder.
8) You can use the lock to make fire without the need for gunpowder.
9) You can use gunpowder for gunpowder tinder fire lighting if needs be.
10) IF the lock should malfunction (these are very robust & it is not likely) you can easily repair it if you are carrying a few spare springs & a few simple tools.
11) If you do not have any spare parts & the lock malfunctions, you can easily convert it to a tinderlock or matchlock & continue using it.
12) You do not need a reloader, brass shells, caps, or primers. The latter have been known to break down in damp conditions or if they are stored for too long.
13) Wadding for ball or shot is available from natural plant materials or homemade leather or rawhide.
14) Less chance of being affected by future ammunition control legislation.
15) Gunpowder is easily obtainable providing you have a muzzle-loader registered in your name regardless of caliber (NSW)
16) A .32 caliber flintlock rifle is more powerful than a .22 rimfire, less expensive to feed, more accurate over a greater distance, able to take small & medium sized game, & other than not being able to use shot (unless it is smoothbore), it has all the attributes of the other flintlocks.
17) Damage from a .62 caliber-.75 caliber pistol or long arm is in the extreme. Wounded prey is unlikely to escape.
18) By using buck & ball you are unlikely to miss your target. This load is capable of taking out more than one target.
19) There is less kick-back to a muzzle-loading gun.
20) Antique Flintlock muzzle-loading guns do not require a license, registration, or a permit to purchase in NSW Australia.
Do not try to understand them, and do not try to make them understand you; for they are a breed apart and make no sense. Natty Bumpo, Last Of The Mohicans.
25 July 2017, 12:37,
Have you not posted all the above before?
ATB
Harry
25 July 2017, 16:43,
HP, some people just like to hear their own words again...

I would rather have someone post their best recipes for Houi duc style sate' chile rat, more practical.
I am told by those who know authoritatively by way of family heritage, that the same method works well with small dogs...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...icacy.html

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
25 July 2017, 16:45,
Tilong rat trap, put 40m or 50 of these around your house and garden and you, your dog and housecats will eat well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmPwV5dFzTg

73 de KE4SKY
In
USA
25 July 2017, 23:54,
(25 July 2017, 12:37)harrypalmer Wrote: Have you not posted all the above before?

Oh possibly Harry but ever since suffering 4 strokes my short term memory is shot. Sorry if this offends you, please let me know if you are tired of my posts & I will gladly leave this forum.
Sincerely, Keith.
Do not try to understand them, and do not try to make them understand you; for they are a breed apart and make no sense. Natty Bumpo, Last Of The Mohicans.
25 July 2017, 23:56,
(25 July 2017, 16:43)CharlesHarris Wrote: HP, some people just like to hear their own words again...

I would rather have someone post their best recipes for Houi duc style sate' chile rat, more practical.
I am told by those who know authoritatively by way of family heritage, that the same method works well with small dogs...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...icacy.html

Oh possibly Harry but ever since suffering 4 strokes my short term memory is shot. Sorry if this offends you, please let me know if you are tired of my posts & I will gladly leave this forum.
Sincerely, Keith.

You sir are rude & you know nothing about me.
Keith.
26 July 2017, 00:51,
Keith,

My apologies. My sense of humor might be a bit strange, but no harm or disrespect was meant.
My patience gets thin at times from dealing with trolls on other forums. Please carry on while I
put some Texas Pete on this crow I am eating...

73 de KE4SKY
In
USA
26 July 2017, 14:07,
No need for eating crow, you did not know the circumstance and were not informed that a special needs member was present.

All you knew was that a person promoting themselves as a long term off grid prepper was presenting himself as a thriving, capable and knowledgeable homesteader and outdoorsman in the Australian wilds, capable of hunting with a muzzle loader and feeding his family off the fat of the land.

If the truth had been presented originally you might have reason to feel bad. As you commented, we have to deal with lots of purposely deceptive and domineering people so if we are not informed that there is a mental or physical problem how do we know how to react to repetition and other situations, or to take the advice offered with those things in consideration.