Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Primary Style of Hunting?
28 April 2014, 13:22, (This post was last modified: 28 April 2014, 13:23 by Scythe13.)
Primary Style of Hunting?
No doubt we will all be setting traps and the alike, for when the poop hits the cooling machine. It's kind of an obvious system to employ.

However, many of us also propose employing a more active participant role in the form of hunting.

Hopefully we all plan to use our tins and stores as a last resort, living off what we can harvest and cultivate ourselves.

For those of us looking at actively harvesting (hunting) the meat of the countryside, what is your primary hunting system?

I know there are a lot of people in the air rifle category, others in the full FAC or SGC route. There are as many in the bow and arrow camp. Crossbows? What? Really? I'm kidding, they're a worthy choice too. There are those with crossbows, sling bows, atalatal (that's so spelt wrong!) and many more.

So what's your primary hunting system, and why have you chosen to go down that route? I'm not looking for criticisms of other routes, just the pros and cons of the path you're using. We can start another thread for 'heated discussion' on the pros AND cons of other options. But I'd like this thread to be just the pros of the system you plan to employ.

Just moved this from one section to another, due to technical issues. Hope this is better and you're now able to reply.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
28 April 2014, 13:29,
RE: Primary Style of Hunting?
principal hunting weapon would be an air rifle, just for ease of use, closely followed by a bow and arrow for when I wanted to make no noise(people about I wanted to avoid, say), I might use my crossbow for small game.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
28 April 2014, 13:39,
Active Primary Style: Ambush from cover/concealment
Primary weapon/s : Bow & Crossbow.
Main gathering tech: snares/traps/nets.
28 April 2014, 13:42,
Main technique is traps, followed by active hunting to supplement the stores from as soon as possible after an event. Keeping head down in initial stages is priority 1, living off stores, perhaps some traps depending on situation but no active hunting.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
28 April 2014, 13:47,
To be honest I think in a SHTF situation we will be too busy to go hunting a lot of the time, as becoming small scale farmers will consume most of our waking hours. There are never enough hours in a day to run a farm and there is always something to do.
28 April 2014, 18:21,
well ive just gotten my air rifle back so my initial plan is to start by using that but if law should break down compleatly ill slowly work at moving over to other methods like bows, slings etc
Winter is coming
28 April 2014, 18:40, (This post was last modified: 28 April 2014, 18:42 by Mortblanc.)
In my situation "hunting" will be imbedded as a harvest method done in conjunction with other activities.

As has been mentioned, subsistence farming is a busy life.

I will be taking game as targets of opportunity while working the garden, walking the trap line, walking to see the neighbors, standing guard over the livestock or just watching the fields from the back porch.

There will also be strategically positioned bait stations and salt licks.

Just deciding to "go hunting" often burns up more calories than it provides.

Why is this thread NOT in the Hunting section?????
28 April 2014, 19:13,
(28 April 2014, 18:40)Mortblanc Wrote: Why is this thread NOT in the Hunting section?????

Sorting a technical issue.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
28 April 2014, 20:08,
In a long-term subsistence situation, I would rely more on trapping than hunting. If you are actively farming, then you should exploit whatever game is attracted to your crops, using them as "bait," but not foraging a great distance away from home and farm, unless part of a larger community which can assure that the homestead if looked after and protected while you are away following the "buffalo herd."

In that regard, hunting is most efficient when undertaken as an organized, group activity, rather than as a solo pursuit.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
28 April 2014, 20:48,
Fishing and coastal foraging. And eggs from our chickens if others haven't hunted them down first!
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.